Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
YakAnglerUSMC
Junior

General Yak questions

Hey all, I am moving back to San Diego at the end of this year since I previously sold my Malibu Stealth I am back in the market for a new ride. What is the requirement in Cali for powered yaks? (i.e. predator xl minn kota) Do they need to be registered like a boat? Also, my options are the Hobie Pro Angler 12 and anything else with a hands free propulsion system. ANy comments/feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Tight Lines!
Justin
YakAnglerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

Has to be registered and the number applied to your hull. If I recall correctly it's really not that expensive. There's a motor for the Hobies now too.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
ccacher1

Almost certain anything not human propelled needs to be registered like a boat. Most everyone in here will tell you hobie is the way to go if you want hands free.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
TJones

From my experience

The added headache, loss of storage, and added weight does not supercede the advatages gained. You don't see any hardcore, regular users of PA's with motors let alone any hobie kayak. Takes away from the from. I have only seen one or two or know of only one person with a motor other than myself.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:19 AM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
The added headache, loss of storage, and added weight does not supercede the advatages gained. You don't see any hardcore, regular users of PA's with motors let alone any hobie kayak. Takes away from the from. I have only seen one or two or know of only one person with a motor other than myself.
I met a guy with Team Daiwa on his hobie that had a torquedo on it. It moved him along pretty good. I don't remember seeing any hull numbers on his boat
Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
YakAnglerUSMC
Junior

Thanks for the replies guys! I did some research and verified via the CA.gov website that any vessel that is not powered by human propulsion requires registration. However, registration is fairly inexpensive. With all that said, it appears some nice new features are going to be announced at ICAST 2016 in two weeks so my decision will have to wait a little longer.
YakAnglerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
TJones

Had first generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I met a guy with Team Daiwa on his hobie that had a torquedo on it. It moved him along pretty good. I don't remember seeing any hull numbers on his boat
Second generation added another cell to extend duration . Definitely moves along , and could easily take you to the fishing grounds and maybe back at moderate pace . Never ran it on my PA , but did on my outback . Made things very tight. Like I mentioned , most would agree that space is an issue on any hobie without removal of foam core blocks in hull . Would not recommend that for a heavy guy who likes to sight fish in the hot sun .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAnglerUSMC View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I did some research and verified via the CA.gov website that any vessel that is not powered by human propulsion requires registration. However, registration is fairly inexpensive. With all that said, it appears some nice new features are going to be announced at ICAST 2016 in two weeks so my decision will have to wait a little longer.
Maybe a loophole here. What if when the cops came you stuck your mirage drive in?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote