Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
min-va

BBQ trout?

Ok, i am having a BBQ this weekend, a friend asked if i can catch some trout....
But in fact, i never catch a single fresh water fish...

So my plan is to go Irvine lake to catch my first trout, i did some research online here and there, but to avoid skunk, i need some more information about this.

I am going to bring one rod only, i have a lot of saltwater setup, but guess they are way too heavy, my lightest setup is a spinning reel setup with 8lb line.

I saw people likes to troll rapala CD5/7 and powerbait.

Basically i have no question about trolling rapala, just like i troll in the bay for sw bass, right?

For powerbait, i think i am just going to add split shot and small size 6 hook, and let it drift?

Or you guys have any other good advise to help me catch my first trout?......
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
gupppy

Garlic chartreuse works well if you end up shore bound. Also the treble hook with the dough bait works well. Also night crawlers. I've only caught on dough bait, never tried crawlers. My limited experience, when it's windy it sucks. Check out irvine lakes website. They have tips in the fishing reports.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Firetiger

Firetiger CD3 or CD5, in Santiago flats. Good fishing!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Yakin

Trout fishing was my hobby before i began saltwater fishing
Get yourself some power bait that the flavor is lemon twist or orange twist and use a small size trouble hook
then place your sinker about a foot up your line once your out there
put your pole in the pole holder take a medium sized bobber with a hook on the booker below the second eye of your like and hang it off your line
once that bobber starts to move your one baby
You will kill them all day!!
Or if you want to be a more active fisher and move around buy the second smallest silver cast master lure
cast it out give your rod a couple light jerks around 5-8 cranks
Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

don't go there without a pink mira shad!!!!! cd5/and 7 in firetiger are also good producers. Trolling those lures, if you put the work in, you are almost surely going to catch trout!!!!

Good luck out there!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
min-va

Looks like we have a lot of trout experts here

But what size of sinkers should i bring when fishing bait? split shot? 1/4oz? 1/2oz? i have no idea the depth there, i have no FF either..
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
J3FFro

Remember to change that 8lb line to 4lb. Small hook.

I normally do a dropshot setup with a very light weight, leave the weight about ~12in or less below the hook. power worms any color (they have green, pink, orange, white).

A light rod is preferred but im no expert.. =)

Just Have fun.. BBQ trout MMmmMmm
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-va View Post
Looks like we have a lot of trout experts here

But what size of sinkers should i bring when fishing bait? split shot? 1/4oz? 1/2oz? i have no idea the depth there, i have no FF either..
I perfer the 1/4 oz sinker looks like a tear drop
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Anthony179
A.T.

The last time I fished I caught my trout on trolling
a pink diawa shiner. They sell them in their
tackle store. You can also ask the Berkeley
pro staff.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

In the words of hank hill.....

....nothin beats the worm. I like to shore fish for trout and I always use an inflated worm on a #6 hook, carolina rigged with a 1/8 egg sinker and a carolina keeper. Judge how much leader line to pull out by how tall the bottom grass is where you will be fishing. You want your inflated worm to float about a foot above the grass so play around with it. Another trick is gulp makes a trout dip for worms. I use the green garlic and give my worm a good coating. A jar will last forever. I cant remember ever getting skunked using this method

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Enceladus

4 lb test is ok, 2 lb test is better. #16 treble is ok, but #18 is better. You can troll powerbait (chartreuse or spring green) slowly with really good results. Roll it into a long worm shape with the small treble in the top 3rd. Put a small split shot about 12 inches from the hook, cast out, leave the bail open for and paddle for about 20 yds, close it and troll slowly. If you have a FF and see the fish near the surface you might have luck with a nightcrawler under a bobber. I've had great luck with hanging 1/2 NC about 6 feet below the bobber - just killed them.

Man, I wish I could go with you. Good luck!
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
ericko

most of the lake is about 25 feet deep head to the dam and it gets to 80 plus feet . if its warm out the fish will be deep and ive gotten the larger ones near the dam but they are all over... you can catch them on 8lb test but have had better luck with 4 lb ..what works for me is firetiger, pink mira shad and the best for me is bleeding hot olive CD-3 yes its small.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
fishingfool

You may want to try Lake Gregory in the San Bernardino mountains. It's only open to shore fishing right now. Go down to the south east part of the lake by the senior center. User garlic chartreuse or pellet colored power bait. I use a sliding sinker and tie the hook on your line. I tie a rubber band around the line about 18 to 20 inches from the hood. cut ends of rubber band . You can use a swivel instead if you like (Carolina rig)I use it to keep the sinker away from the hook. They stocked the lake about a week ago with 4000 lb of brown trout. People have bee catching their limit in a couple of hours. Talk to anyone around there they will help catch fish. Your 8lb should work ok. If you like you can use 2 or 4lb leader. shore fishing is free.
fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfool View Post
You may want to try Lake Gregory in the San Bernardino mountains. It's only open to shore fishing right now. Go down to the south east part of the lake by the senior center. User garlic chartreuse or pellet colored power bait. I use a sliding sinker and tie the hook on your line. I tie a rubber band around the line about 18 to 20 inches from the hood. cut ends of rubber band . You can use a swivel instead if you like (Carolina rig)I use it to keep the sinker away from the hook. They stocked the lake about a week ago with 4000 lb of brown trout. People have bee catching their limit in a couple of hours. Talk to anyone around there they will help catch fish. Your 8lb should work ok. If you like you can use 2 or 4lb leader. shore fishing is free.
If you fish lake gregory don't eat the fish out of that lake!!!!!
That water is so damn nasty!!!
If your going to fish in the mountains stay away from that lake!! Go to silverwood I know where to kill trout all day like I can show you around the lake
But trust me on Lake gregory I lived in crestline(AKA CRACKLINE) for many years the lake smells and is dirty!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
If you fish lake gregory don't eat the fish out of that lake!!!!!
That water is so damn nasty!!!
If your going to fish in the mountains stay away from that lake!! Go to silverwood I know where to kill trout all day like I can show you around the lake
But trust me on Lake gregory I lived in crestline(AKA CRACKLINE) for many years the lake smells and is dirty!
Thanks for the advise, my main reason for this trout fishing trip is to BBQ them..lol..so i guess i'll stick with Irvine Lake.

Btw, i'll be in Silverwood Lake in June for camping, so will catch some trout again
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-va View Post
Thanks for the advise, my main reason for this trout fishing trip is to BBQ them..lol..so i guess i'll stick with Irvine Lake.

Btw, i'll be in Silverwood Lake in June for camping, so will catch some trout again
Let me know when you go to silverwood I can take you to some awesome kayak sights for trout bass and stripers!!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
ericko

Yakin i might take u up on the stripper trip to silverwood..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Let's go!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Let's go!
You going Sat too?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Yakin i might take u up on the stripper trip to silverwood..
Sounds good I still need to make sure its ok for me to bring friends on silverwood and not have to pay for the kayak it use to be alright but I think they went under new management?
Has anyone been out to silverwood this year or end of last year yet?