Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
maquinapescado

Fluorocarbon

Not sure what brands all of you use. I have been a Seaguar fan since early 2000's. I started to look at how much I was spending on fluoro and was like, daaaaamn! And lost torpedoes!!

Anyhow, I saw Seaguar was making this STS and was like, "How is this 100 yards the same as 25 yards of Blue Label Seaguar?? Not getting answers I was satisfied with from Fisherman's Hardware and Turners; I'm guessing from a lack of Seaguar representative visits and education. I decided to email them since you can't just call and this is what I got. The gist of it is that they are all equally as invisible or close to. They just differ in stiffness and ever so slightly in knot strength. You can read the email below.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting Seaguar.com

Great question! All of those products are 100% fluorocarbon, meaning the refractive index is near that of water. They will all be almost completely invisible under water.

The biggest difference is Premier and Blue label are DSF (double structure fluorocarbon) which means we take two custom fluoro resin and extrude them into a single piece of line. This is not a co-polymer line but a single line of fluorocarbon with a strong inner core for strength and sensitivity but a softer outer core for greater knot strength.

Pink Label is dyed pink and we have been told that in certain water conditions and light it is actually less visible. I think it really depends on your fishing tactics and style. It is also more visible above water to help when grabbing the leader by hand to retrieve fish.

STS is designed for Salmon, trout, and Steelhead. It is an entry level 100% fluorocarbon that still gives benefits of using fluoro but might be a littler stiffer when compared to our others. It also is a value considering you get a 100 yard spool.

I hope this answer all your questions. If not please call our office at 212-867-7040 and ask for someone to answer some questions about our leader material. We would be happy to speak with you.

Thank you for your support in Seaguar!

Sincerely,
Seaguar Customer Support
Old 07-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Jizzling

Great post. Its nice to hear what the experts have to say.
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

I bought some Berkley prospec because it was inexpensive for 40# fluoro. Seems strong, but it doesn't tie knots nearly as well as my personal fave, yo-zuri. Maybe will try the 40# sts and see how it do.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

I have recently had a very very bad batch of 40lb yo zuri flouro. When you break leaders 4 times in a row, you just know. Seguar only for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote