Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
kaya_one

REVIEWS REQUESTED = LOWRANCE Elite-5 Ti FF/plotter w/Mid/High CHIRP (83/200kHZ) + TotalScan

I've got my eye on this unit.
LOWRANCE Elite-5 Ti Fishfinder/Chartplotter with Mid/High CHIRP (83/200kHZ) + TotalScan®

Any input is appreciated. Pros and cons. How is the TotalScan on a kayak?
I went from a Lowrance 4 and now currently using an HDS5 Gen 2. Looking to upgrade.

I am in an older Outback so plan on the "over the side" in water transducer arm.

-Jamie
"kaya_one"
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Dannowar

the touchscreen pissed me off all the time. it sucks if you get it wet or touch it with wet fingers (as i imagine you will be doing. just go for the hds.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
the touchscreen pissed me off all the time. it sucks if you get it wet or touch it with wet fingers (as i imagine you will be doing. just go for the hds.
That was my concern when I went with the HDS 7 Gen 3 because I am anal about keeping the screen clean but it has not been an issue so far. Just a quick wipe on the tee shirt before a touch and it stays clean for me.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Daniel Chambers
Junior

Lowrance Elite-Ti Review

Hope it helps...the review summarizes all the available online reviews we could find.

https://www.huntingfishingtech.com/l...ite-ti-review/

The site also has a review on the Lowrance HDS finder if you look around.
Daniel Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
kaya_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
It seems my hands are never dry when on the water. And that screen is always got water spots on it. Great input....thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
That was my concern when I went with the HDS 7 Gen 3 because I am anal about keeping the screen clean but it has not been an issue so far. Just a quick wipe on the tee shirt before a touch and it stays clean for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chambers View Post
Hope it helps...the review summarizes all the available online reviews we could find.

https://www.huntingfishingtech.com/l...ite-ti-review/

The site also has a review on the Lowrance HDS finder if you look around.
Thanks for the website...never heard of it prior to your post. Good info on that site.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
kaya_one

Thanks for looking...anyone used the Total Scan and how is it?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
FISH11

I bought the TI5 in June 2016 had it 6 month and the last 2 months the touch screen started having problems responding and would freeze up and then a few minutes later it would jump around to all the commands of the buttons you had pushed when it wasn't responding. I have heard of several others having the same problem with the TI5. I took my TI5 back to West Marine had to use the extended warranty I had purchased from them to return it for a full refund so I could buy the TI7, that also meant having to buy a new extended warranty on the new unit, so I was out about $65 that I think I had payed on the original TI5. The TI7 has worked great and has more features then the TI5 had. The Total scan transducer I returned with the original TI5 because it is ridiculously big and won't fit in the Hobie Lowrance ready area, they now make an adapter plate but all it does is mount it on the outside of the plate and sticks out below the the keel of the Hobie and is about 10" long. I am sure that since the TI5 and TI7 both use a lot more power and I had to get a larger battery to have it last longer then 4 1/2 hours, the larger transducer will provably use even more power. I got the one that comes with the down scan transducer. In over 1 year of use mostly out in the ocean by La Jolla and both bays and a couple lakes. the only real use were I can see an advantage to the downscan was in fresh water and water less than 100'. Most of the time the scan part is useless. I have had a Jackson Cuda 14 with a Raymarine chirp 4.7" that had the over the side transducer mount and I did not like it. It would constantly catch eel grass or kelp and needed to be moved when launching or landing so as not to hit the bottom. You would be better off using the down scan and mounted inside the kayak as a through the hull set up. P.S. The TI7 is heavier and I had to get the RAM 1.5" ball mount because the 1" I had would not hold it up with any kind of bump or even a small wave hitting it the unit.