Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
jbeath
Kayak Rod Builder

Kayak Fishing Rods

I designed a new kayak fishing rod for West Coast anglers fishing for BIG saltwater gamefish. The rod is 13 ounces, four feet long, sensitive, flexible and made of high quality components. I'm wondering what other kayak anglers think of my design?

My thought was to keep the rod short to maintain maximum balance while fighting big fish and too make it easy when landing or releasing big fish.

Here's a picture of the rod and link to where you can get one. I'm also looking for a couple Pro Staff for SquidPro Tackle to use the Mighty Mite rod as well as tackle.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
John
http://www.halibutfishingrods.com
jbeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
DanaPT

Does size matter?

Ship one to team sewer for a full review.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Raskal311

A bit short to get around the bow? I would think 5.5" would be the shortest if want on my kayak.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
sculpins4bait

i used a short stout rod the other day for threshers and while i didnt catch any i learned its pretty inconvenient if you are also using longer rods and you need to lift the line up over the other rods.
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

I built a panga stick for bounceballing so the line is closer to the yak and not pulling to one side while paddling. It works but is hard to get around the bow, stern, other lines. Also, not mch give to absorb the shock of headshakes.

Verdict? I don't use it anywhere net what I thought I would
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
jbeath
Kayak Rod Builder

Short Rod

Good points about getting the rod tip around the kayak. While I thought this would be perfect for kayaks, it might not be perfect. It does have a good tip for jigging and hook setting. I also have several other rods that are six feet long that might work for kayak anglers.

I'm always trying to design new rods for anglers who want something better for less money.
Thanks for your opinions.
John
jbeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
momo fish

Ugly Stick are perfect price point and durability for kayaks.. If you can beat them then you will have me as a customer..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
King Saba

I like the look of your rods. The prices don't leave much to argue with either, but what I'm not too into are the butt ends and the girth of the handle. It'd be nice to have a little more info on the tip action and how the blanks load up and what not.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
taggermike

Nice looking rods. As others have said, the mighty mite might be a bit short. The other rods on your website might be better. I used a 5' kencor Baja boomer rated 50-80 for a while. I rarely pass the rod around the bow when fighting fish so the length was OK. The trouble I had was the rod was so stiff getting a good bent about tipped the yak over. If your rods have a soft tip they would work well. I dont know if a kayak angler would ever need a gimbal. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeath View Post
Good points about getting the rod tip around the kayak. While I thought this would be perfect for kayaks, it might not be perfect. It does have a good tip for jigging and hook setting. I also have several other rods that are six feet long that might work for kayak anglers.

I'm always trying to design new rods for anglers who want something better for less money.
Thanks for your opinions.
John
These look well made and hard to beat the price - quality components would run close to what you are asking.

• The point on the gimbal was made above. I would suggest staying with a tapered butt cap rather than a mushroom as on a kayak the rods are put into and pulled out of narrow rod holders, often under load when a fish is on. Don't need to be fighting to get it out of the holder.
  • I like the micro-guides, but I have not seen many in use on a kayak. Hard to say if they will stand up to the abuse of a kayak environment
  • Interesting triggers on the reel seats that have them. I would suggest offering the option of a hole drilled in the trigger with a robust split ring that will stand up to salt as a leash attach point. Not all would want this, but it is an option I have thought about but the triggers on the seats I have been getting were a bit too narrow for me to do this myself.
  • MAYBE offer one up as a raffle prize in one of the bigger tournaments - like this one http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28873 . This will get one on display and passed around by your target market and should be tax deductible. Customizing for that tournament, especially if it is designated for the biggest halibut, gets bonus points.
  • What is the warranty?
Kudos for taking the prior input as constructive. Your site says they are my BY halibut fishermen FOR halibut fishermen. Post up some reports. That gets more credibility that having your first post being an ad to sell something. Even if they are not from a kayak, post in the appropriate forum. Let's see these things in action.

Cheers!
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
PapaDave

Nice looking rods.

The short rods are not too bad when you are fishing the bays and skinny water for bass. I have, and use, several Daiwa Triforce 3 footers, they work great but you're right about not getting around the bow.

I'd get rid of the gimbals though.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Dirty Curti

Size does matter for me. I fish on a Malibu Stealth 12 and depending on the water current I seem to be moving my tip around the bow often. I fish a 5'8" rod and a 6'2" rod a the smaller one just barely makes it around from my seated position and the longer one is PERFECT! I also like some back bone with a flippy tip.

You look like you are on the right track. I like the looks and if the quality meets our standards you should move some of those easily.

Thanks for taking the remarks positive.

I definitely like Hunters idea of donating one to the raffle so everyone can get a feel and look first hand. It would really get your product in front of your market.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #13
capntim

Hi John. The guys have posted a lot of good info for you. When I make rods for customers that are specifically meant for fishing on a yak it partially depends on the size of the person, arm reach more specifically. It can also depend on the length of the kayak. I would say that 6-61/2' would be the minimum. I know I don't use anything shorter. And as the guys said a softer tip is important. And also as had been stated lower your price point by axing the gimbal and just go with a mushroom cap. Good luck.
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Are your line ratings for braid?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing rods, fishing tackle, kayak fishing rod, rods and reels