Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Question about WSB and swivels

TOPIC #1

I was reading online about WSB in La Jolla and the obviously knowledgeable author recommended 150# swivels for his preferred WSB rigs.

If I'm using 65# braid and 40# Blackwater leader, does having more than a 50# swivel make any difference?

Are these strength measurements comparable for lines and swivels, or are we comparing different issues?

TOPIC #2

On a slightly different note, I'm currently reading and digesting Between Two and Twenty Fathoms written by Captain Mark Wisch of Huntington Beach. I'm finding it to have a lot of good local fishing tips for Southern CA without all the BS and fluff we often have to sift through. Well written. Lots of experience based details that kayak fisherpeople can relate to.

For those of you who like to study things, it's a recommendation I would like to share.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Those 150 pound barrel swivels are so small anyways and that it's well worth the extra weight. I have no idea how it they are rated but for the size I use them.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
GTboosted

I use the Spro Power swivels in size 6 (80lb) and the only reason why I recently considered going bigger is because the fast clips don't fit thru the eyes.

As far as the book, I could always use more info. Thanks for the suggestion. Just wondering...is it worth the $30 for us kayak fishermen? It seems it's target audience is boaters.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Question about WSB and swivels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
I use the Spro Power swivels in size 6 (80lb) and the only reason why I recently considered going bigger is because the fast clips don't fit thru the eyes.

As far as the book, I could always use more info. Thanks for the suggestion. Just wondering...is it worth the $30 for us kayak fishermen? It seems it's target audience is boaters.

If anything the book probably relates to kayakers more than anyone due to the stealth and lack of noise. With also the ability to get into deep kelp beds much easier than a boat. Kayakers have access to basically anywhere (except offshore islands) that boaters do for targeting WSB. Its an inshore game.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Before I found the guy's website, I looked on Amazon and found them for $93 .... eeeek!

That prompted me to check the San Diego Central Library and they have a copy to lend out. They even delivered it to my local Rolando branch library in the College Area as a free service. I plan to return it in a few days.

I think his chapters on targeting specific fish (Yellowtail, WSB, Halibut, Barracuda) is very relevant to kayak fishermen. He also has chapters on Calico Bass, Bonito and Sand Bass -- personally, I'm not interested in targeting those fish.

He talks about weather patterns, water patterns, time of day/night and moon/tide connections. I find these subjects to be interesting as well.

I would say there is very little that he talks about that is NOT relevant to us. He writes clearly and he gets to the point.

Once you read it and make your notes, I don't think there's much point to storing it on the shelf after that for $30-something. Unless you want to help support the guy who wrote it and shares his information with us. Use the library for free. Save your money for something else. You can make that decision after you read it. There are lots of fishing books that aren't worth much more than their slick cover, so I understand your hesitation. On the other hand, it's nice to support the efforts of kindred spirits who help us learn.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
GTboosted

Sweet, might check it out then.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
blitzburgh

Mark Wisch is a goldmine of knowledge. They sell the updated second edition on the Pacific Edge website.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

https://pacificedgetackle.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=17

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Hunters Pa

He has another book called "In the Gray" that is focused on WSB. They are a quick read.

I may have to dig them out for a refresher since my last couple outings have been less than stellar
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Deamon

You're line always breaks before a quality swivel goes. Those who want to truly target big fish, should go heavy leader. Anyone who drops down in line size, can lose their chance of a lifetime. Nothing like 60# pulling a quality fish out of heavy kelp. 80# 60# leader for me. Lucky to have a Hobie to break it off if needed, lol. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 06-26-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote