Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
iethinker

Fishing report vs fishing - Report will have to do.

This is a Kayak Fishing Report from 6/17/2016 for San Diego Bay...

Today's fishing report comes courtesy of my broken (3x now) fish finder. I was planning on heading out to the ocean today but after working on my fish finder last night and then requiring more diagnostic time today (became parts ordering time) I did not. Another transducer is on the way and I'll hopefully be re configured for the deep stuff before next weekend. Anyway, being that I am not fishing and experiencing withdraw I decided to post this report.

6/17 was slow from a bite perspective; not the hot and cold running spotties the bay can sometimes produce. Of course given the powerless fish finder (GPS), I did not have precise directions to my favorite holes. Being familiar with the general area I still set out confidently enough. Currents in the South Bay were light, the water was green/brown and grassy.

Catches included eight Spotted Bass and one Corvina.

Here is one of the Spotted Bass. Most were on the dinky side as well:

This Corvina hit a Gulp Ghost Shrimp. He pretended to be a Croaker making some croaking noises when out of the water. Looking at the teeth I could not bring myself to lip hold him.:

Since I caught a Corvina, I decided to do the corvina like thing and take an in-the-water photo of one of the Spotted Bass that I caught:

Ok...like one person will understand that last caption. Check SCsurfishing for a hint. Speaking of which, I will probably do some surf fishing tomorrow as well.

All fish caught were released and swam away. Note that there appeared to be tons of Mullet in the bay. They would not hit my soft plastics.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 06-22-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammer
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
HELLSTER INC.

Food for thought! I had one of my best days when fishfinder battery would not charge. I went anyway and it was a 3 tail day.....and i actually enjoyed not having it!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

A corvina IS a croaker.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
iethinker

Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Food for thought! I had one of my best days when fishfinder battery would not charge. I went anyway and it was a 3 tail day.....and i actually enjoyed not having it!
I know.....I'm full of excuses! Partially, I was hoping that within the day I would be able to drop a new lure down to a particular Rock Fish spot I had marked and fished before. Having just recently installed a new transducer (that has now failed) and without that event available it killed the mood.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
iethinker

HMMMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
A corvina IS a croaker.
HMMM....good to know....Corvina seem more to be like a Trout though.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
A corvina IS a croaker.
White sea bass are croakers too.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
taggermike

Thanks for the report. Don't let a broken ff keep you off the water. Fish when ever you can. I'm glad to see those smaller vina; shows they're successfully reproducing.
Corvina are in the croaker family. And are closely related to the east and gulf coast speckled trout and weakfish (or gray trout). Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Corvina
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
This is a Kayak Fishing Report from 6/17/2016 for San Diego Bay...

Today's fishing report comes courtesy of my broken (3x now) fish finder. I was planning on heading out to the ocean today but after working on my fish finder last night and then requiring more diagnostic time today (became parts ordering time) I did not. Another transducer is on the way and I'll hopefully be re configured for the deep stuff before next weekend. Anyway, being that I am not fishing and experiencing withdraw I decided to post this report.

This day of 6/17 was slow from a bite perspective; not the hot and cold running spotties the bay can sometimes produce. Of course given the powerless fish finder (GPS), I did not have precise directions to my favorite holes. Being familiar with the general area I still set out confidently enough. Currents in the South Bay were light, the water was green/brown and grassy.

Catches included eight Spotted Bass and one Corvina.

Here is one of the Spotted Bass. Most were on the dinky side as well:

This Corvina hit a Gulp Ghost Shrimp. He pretended to be a Croaker making some croaking noises when out of the water. Looking at the teeth I could not bring myself to lip hold him.:

Since I caught a Corvina, I decided to do the corvina like thing and take an in-the-water photo of one of the Spotted Bass that I caught:

Ok...like one person will understand that last caption. Check SCsurfishing for a hint. Speaking of which, I will probably do some surf fishing tomorrow as well.

All fish caught were released and swam away. Note that there appeared to be tons of Mullet in the bay. They would not hit my soft plastics.

Thanks,
Matt
Ha ha, I like the in the water Spottie pic. Most fish look better in the water.....but that's just IMHO...
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote