Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
eekamouse463

Went to LJ today first time

went to LJ today on my new Tarpon 100 lime green. Still new to the game. Just did some mackeral fly lining and some jigging. Outcome was nothing. Can some one pin point me to some good spots and tricks on how to get them yellows out there?
eekamouse463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

i hear there is people who do such things.

i think his name is josh, look for a beard on a blue hobie revolution.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
dorado50

Batting a 1000% is basically unheard of. Give your self a chance! If you expect to catch a yt everytime out....u da man. Around LJ yt don't hang around a spot but rather an area. Good fishing.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

look for the bait!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
roadx

i believe i saw you out there if it makes you feel any better my fish finder is broke and i didnt find any YT either. zero for four at LJ

just paying my dues i guess

back to west marine to get a replacement
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
DESTROYER

I started fishing LJ from a kayak before the internet taught you everything. Follow this website. Look very close to pictures to see what people are using. Ask lots of questions, wait and hold on. It took me a year to get my first YT in LJ on a yak. Newbies these days are much luckier. Greenbacks are usually the key if you can find them, I've done well on spanish as well. Sometimes I hook them on the Back to get them to swim down which might help with this little algae bloom. I look for areas where bait hang and do slow circles and throw iron occasionally. I hope this helps a little.

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
eekamouse463

Thanks guys. Yea I need some more skills and patience . I'll be sure to introduce my self when I see some you guys out there.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
ZUMAN

3 times for me for a big zero.....................

If only I wasn't a 150 miles away

Time on the water is what ya need........................
ZUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
3 times for me for a big zero.....................
You certainly are not alone. The really skillful guys seem to be able to catch something on nearly every trip. The rest of us have good days and bad days. On those good days you feel like the guy in the movie with the girl at the bow of the Titanic. On the bad days... well those are a bit more humbling.

As many have said, they call this fishing, not catching. Eventually everyone figures this sport out to some degree and ends up with a PB trophy fish. Once that mark has been set, you have the opportunity to reset the record on every outing. That is the fun part.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
erinoo

The first time I ever fished in a kayak went out to LJ in early 05. I caught only one bait. I didn't even know what it was, a greenie, spanish or a dine. It was all new fishing to me and I was way to proud to ask anyone. pinned it on a hook on the old jigmaster and started paddling around. Soon after zinnnnng and I had a rat yellow on the yak...I thought wow this is just to easy...Was I ever wrong..Went a long time before my next one..Just hang in there and keep fishing.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
fishinfreak

i've fished la jolla at least 50 times from the kayak, and i've only got yellows on one of those trips. the two fish that day came from the iron bite last december when anyone could have dropped down a jig and hooked up. however, when i fish la jolla from my boat, i get yellows, barries, and calicos much more often. i've spend at least half of my trips throwing iron for hours at a time, then i go out on my boat, throw iron for 30 minutes, catch a thresher, and i'm done. i've fished la jolla for 7 years and only have a few yellows to show for it, don't expect to go out there and get the biggest yellow right away
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Fish4Fun

Thanks to all your frank and humbling comments. really encouraging for those new to the sport of kayak fishing like mysellf. the few good days keeps us going til the next great one comes along. in between are many skunk days.
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

[QUOTE=. in between are many skunk days.
[/QUOTE]

It comes with the package. I was skunked today. In fact, I did not see anyone catch anything but bait today. Apparently there were some squid caught pre-dawn and one rumored WSB landing.

Speaking of bait. What is the deal with the 18 inch, two pound greenies that are out there these days. I talked to Leo on the beach. He said that on one Sabiki pull had three of those monsters hooked up recently. I got one today. I probably should have kept it as the only other bait I could catch was Spanish. No love today using Spanish.

This is by far the strangest summer in my memory. May Great. June Gloom, July Gloom and now we have May water temps in August. Will the YT move in some time in November?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
eekamouse463

When are some of you guys going out there again? Or often do you guys go?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
roadx

i will try my luck on monday or tuesday and go again later this week. i try and make it out once each week usually on friday or saturday. if you would like to go let me know.

fish finder is broke so ill be blind
Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
Billy V

Its probably better that you did Not catch a good fish on your 1st. trip.
Now you will seek out information and the journey begins.

-There are several ways.
Requesting info from members and then applying it, or guide service. Both methods have their benefits and in your search for success you may choose to do both.
(Your not buying a Fish) but rather - you are buying information that was acquired over much time and application.
Info that should be respected and guarded to protect our resource.

Personally I choose to search for the methods and techniques that work and apply them myself, rather than take the guide tutorial.
There is a time and place for both methods, but I like the challenge and reward of going it alone.

I fish for the big bite in the early AM and Late afternoon, but the in between times may require you to change strategies and pursue another kind of fish.
ie. halibut, thresher, or even calicos if you choose.

There are many methods posted on this board, some of which are more productive to a given season.
Summer Vs. Winter.

The basics will requires knowledge of:
carolina rigs
Flyline
using the most lively bait (there is a difference between Live and Lively)
use of flurocarbon - not too heavy
small hooks, and hooks that don't foul back on bait.
swimming action of irons - surface and heavy.

--- and Time on the Water.

There is much more that can be written on the subject, but Rome was not built in a day.
Good Luck and Fish Efficiently.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
eekamouse463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Its probably better that you did Not catch a good fish on your 1st. trip.
Now you will seek out information and the journey begins.

-There are several ways.
Requesting info from members and then applying it, or guide service. Both methods have their benefits and in your search for success you may choose to do both.
(Your not buying a Fish) but rather - you are buying information that was acquired over much time and application.
Info that should be respected and guarded to protect our resource.

Personally I choose to search for the methods and techniques that work and apply them myself, rather than take the guide tutorial.
There is a time and place for both methods, but I like the challenge and reward of going it alone.

I fish for the big bite in the early AM and Late afternoon, but the in between times may require you to change strategies and pursue another kind of fish.
ie. halibut, thresher, or even calicos if you choose.

There are many methods posted on this board, some of which are more productive to a given season.
Summer Vs. Winter.

The basics will requires knowledge of:
carolina rigs
Flyline
using the most lively bait (there is a difference between Live and Lively)
use of flurocarbon - not too heavy
small hooks, and hooks that don't foul back on bait.
swimming action of irons - surface and heavy.

--- and Time on the Water.

There is much more that can be written on the subject, but Rome was not built in a day.
Good Luck and Fish Efficiently.

Thanks man. I also wantd to meet some of you guys and see if you guys are going out there just to have fun. Yea i knew it wasnt going to be easy haha.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
JoeBeck

Skunk

I was actually going to write a Skunk report but instead will reply to this one .

Went out solo Friday off bigrock, got plenty of bait but skunked. Not sure what I think about launching there, love that I can fish right away, but can get a little crazy coming in .

Saturday my wife, brother (in from Sac) and I fished north of the pier for halibut. Got plenty of those extra large macs along with some good candy-bars. Skunk, Skunk, Skunk. Well I caught a huge stingray but still consider that a Skunk.

So I have been Skunked pretty good since June 19 when I caught a good sized halibut off my friends private boat. I have not got much time on the water with work and training for endurance events, but plenty of opportunities to ask myself what is going on? So I decided not to read reports from here because who wants to read about fish being caught when your going out and getting Skunked, or not having time to fish, Not me . I do get jealous but don't get me wrong I am happy for every success story and should comment on them since I like getting comments to my post . Great job Wade! and great job Dave! Nice fish indeed. (Post I've sneaked peaks at lately)

Now Back to Saturday which made me think about writing a skunk report because we were not done after the Halibut fishing in the morning. No, we finished fishing, went home had lunch, packed our bags headed to H&M to board a day and 1/2 tuna trip. I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. I think this every time I have a stinky skunk on my boat. I then go on a guided trip or sports-fishing boat. Confirms that it seems I have similar knowledge as the people catching fish....... Still 1 day and 1/2 again SKUNK SKUNK SKUNK! all three of us, actually the whole boat except 2 lucky anglers who got 1 albacore each. 2 albacore for the whole boat, no other fish, in the middle of August .

I'd be liar though if I said I didn't have a great time fishing 3 consecutive sunny days. Yes I hate being skunked, not catching fish but I sure do love being out on the water . Tight lines soon.... Gotta keep at it, better on the water than behind a keyboard.

Last edited by JoeBeck; 08-23-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typos
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote