Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
beef78
Large Member

Live squid?

Can anyone tell me where to buy or how to catch live squid? I would like some for my next trip out, but I have never used it before. Thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Mahigeer

Catching squid is really easy using the "squid rig". The hard part is finding the squid. At night with powerful light you can attract them, if they are in the area. Sometimes they are deep.

I have heard around Catalina, sometimes you can just scoop them with a hand net.

Like I said catching is easy, finding them is another story. That is why most people get the frozen ones from the store.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
CorvinaLoca

making squid

it's really a matter of timing. when they are in LJ (or other nearshore areas), there are tonnages. when they are not, they are not. as the summer comes and water gets warmer they will be there less. they are in shallower water (85-90 feet) to lay eggs in dark and move to deeper water once the sun comes up. keep your eyes and ears open and ask while you are out. in terms of actuallly catching them from a kayak you will want a squid jig daisy chain. can buy at a good price from squidco. tell joey corvina loca said hi.

These squid also move vertically through the water each day (vertical migration). They stay down deep during the daylight, but come up to the surface at night under cover of darkness. ... cold water. • The sunlight at those depths. has been ...
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
JarrodMc

I've netted sperm size squid in LJ and had hit or miss luck getting any of actual size with the squid jigs. there was a post not too long ago about catching squid. just search it