Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Hunter (The 80's Man)

That special combo

With the Fred Hall show on the horizon, and spring and summer season shortly to follow, I'm sure a lot of us are looking forward to some new purchases, or setting up that special rod/reel combo.

What are some of your must-have features or general characteristics you want with your favorite set-ups?

Yo yo set-up?

Trolling set-up?

Surface iron set-up?

Rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
taggermike

I have found the rods/reels for most of our local salt water fishing work well enough on a kayak. You need a rod long enough to go around the bow of your yak, but most 61/2 footers will do that. I wish I could afford some new, more modern gear but my old stuff just keeps killing fish and I can't rationalize replacing it. One thing I have noticed is that I used to prefer stiffer rods like the Cal Star graphiters, I still like mine, but last year I started using a more flexible rod and I actually like it more. The softer rod brough the bend and center of gravity closer to me and the kayak. It just felt more forgiving and still put plenty of preasure on the fish.

Yo-yo just needs a stout 7' rode that can handle 40lb line. I like fiberglass rods for all my jig sticks. I use an old school Penn YT special with accurate frame and handle. It's a tank. My other yo-yo reel is a Newell 533. If I went for some thing new I'd check out the Shimano Trini's or toriums. More bargain would be Daiwa Sealine 40. 4:1 gears and up are usually preferred.

Trolling is pretty simple on the yak in the summer. 6-7 foot rods for 20-40 lb line. I go with all graphite on bait sticks. Lots of guys have gone to spectra and short fluoro leaders so smaller reels work fine. The new small avet lever drags are nice but an old Penn 500 works fine at a fraction of the cost. I have 3 main outfits for summer slow trolling; 20, 25, and 30 lb. I usualy leave the 20 at home though. My go-to's are a ancient blue and black Daiwa SL30 on a home wrapped Calstar GF 700L for 25lb and a ProGear Pacifica 3000 on a Pacifica grafite rod for 30lb. One thing I have noticed is since we usually slow troll mackeral a stiffer, or adustable, clicker is handy to keep the greenies from buzzing and chirping your clicker all day. I love my GP but the clicker is pretty soft.

Surface iron is a wide open ball game. Some guys like 7 footers for the yak but i go old school, shocking i know. I have a Calstar 90J and a way old Newell 338. It's a bit unweildly in the yak but I make it work. If I started for scratch I might have gotten an 8 footer just to make getting it in the hatch for a rough beach launch practicle. I also have a Seeker Ulua 93H that I love but none of the rod holders on my yak will fit it.

OK I rambled. 2 things I have noticed about yak fishing gear is, the stuff is going to get wet and often thrashed. Unless you can easily aford the best just get a bit over good enough. Then you won't be heart broken, and broke, if some thing falls to the bottom. Take care of your stuff as best you can when you get home because even proven veterans like Newells and Daiwa sealines like a rinsing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
stairman

A well serviced selection of reels with bushings not bearings are the way to go with a kayak...that is unless your brother in law owns a reel repair business and you want to keep the family happy.
When I first started yakkin i brought my leverdrag ball bearing reels but they all needed new bearings shortly.
I then went retro and used only penn jig masters and have never had a problem since.As long as you have some good drag washers and rinse them off these reels will work for ever....bought the ones i have and still use just after high school.......in 76.At 35 bucks these reels have cost me less then a penny a fish......way less if you count bait.

what ever you buy ...buy american,we really don't need to be sending more money west do we?
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Quote:
what ever you buy ...buy american,we really don't need to be sending more money west do we?
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
One thing I have noticed is that I used to prefer stiffer rods like the Cal Star graphiters, I still like mine, but last year I started using a more flexible rod and I actually like it more. The softer rod brough the bend and center of gravity closer to me and the kayak. It just felt more forgiving and still put plenty of preasure on the fish.
I totally agree. I had forgotten how nice a glass rod really is, but last few times out I brought some of the older glass rods I had and remember how much I loved them. I like the graphite for casting plastics all day as it's lighter, and sometimes you need the power to move a calico away from the rocks or out of the kelp. especially with spectra.

I think the stiff rods are popular on boats as they need the extra power to horse in a fish as the boat isn't going to get pulled. but we do. and for things like bouncing megabaits, the glass really allows you to get alot of action without alot of effort. and the flex gives you a chance to set the hook without ripping it out. and for iron, they load oh so nicely for casting.

in fact, I have a really nice 8' lighter glass rod but it has the cork tape. can't get my luna 253 on it. might need to get it rewrapped with a handle!!
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmandel View Post
in fact, I have a really nice 8' lighter glass rod but it has the cork tape. can't get my luna 253 on it. might need to get it rewrapped with a handle!!

Let me know when Rob & I can make it happen
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Buy Avet! About as American as it gets!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
T Bone

I figure every man needs an 800M Calstar.It is definitely the SoCal go to rod.Avets are great,I have 3.They need to be rinsed well after kayak fishing.I have toured their factory twice and met the owners Harry and Sarkis.I demo'd the SX2spd before it hit the market on a trip to Alijos(They wanted some field testing and a big fish to show off)I got picked up by a bigger model yft but was too far out into the current and only had about 100yds left.needless to say,I got spooled...
I agree on buy american.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Billy V

I have a fair amount of fishing gear that ranges from moderate to high end.

I can give you this advice:

Don't leave the show without buying a Diawa Sealine X 40HA with the 4.9:1 gears, and a Graftech 7 ft 20-30 rod. Its the Lj Special and my go to rod.
Its super light weight, and has good back bone. Fishes like a 30-40.

The rod sells for 169.99 all year long except at the Fred Hall Show where it could be bought for $100 as seen last year.
-The reel should also cost $100
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
fknricter

i seen some jigmasters last year for 40 bucks. and some great deals on rods and blanks if youre handy like that, jigmasters are also a great reel to learn to tear down and put back together IMO. i own a couple avets now and love them, but get scared when i take them on the yak. almost bring a mask and fins just in case they go over!!!
fknricter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Thanks for all the tips, this is some great advice.

Rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote