Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
salty pirate

a pair of jacks

la jolla 8/18/12
not the biggest fish but thought I should post a timely report since I get so much info from here.

got em in about 90' of water, temp was 72, air temp hot, visability not that good, both cought on spanish mac's. cuda's are out in full force so make lot's of bait!

again sorry for the yard shot.
Attached Images

salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

shoulda flylined them back out.

nice tacos.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
kayakhunter

Oh no.....the rats are back.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
jorluivil

No pleasing the crowds

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
No pleasing the crowds
Amen
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
la jolla 8/18/12
not the biggest fish but thought I should post a timely report since I get so much info from here.

got em in about 90' of water, temp was 72, air temp hot, visability not that good, both cought on spanish mac's. cuda's are out in full force so make lot's of bait!

again sorry for the yard shot.
Is that a flare gun under your front hatch?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
danjor

First glance thought they were rainbow trout. Not worth killing them in my opinion
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Hmmm... Let's see here...

Yakker drives a long distance to have the chance to get into some fish, then he posts a timely, factual report (the same report that far too many on this site have bitched incessantly about NOT GETTING) with depth, bait, water temp, and he get's critiqued about it.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
First glance thought they were rainbow trout. Not worth killing them in my opinion
Hey, congratulations, don't listen to negative feedback. You caught a couple of YTs and that's good in our book.

Small fish equals better eating. And even those small guys can put up a tussle. Beats being skunked.

Besides, the experts say the big ones are the better breeders, so why throw the small ones back?

Yellowtail reproduce just fine, so taking some that size isn't going to hurt ANYTHING no matter what anyone else says. In fact, the tuna boats live and die with yellowtail that size at times.

Enjoy your meals. Good job, and thanks for the timely report. It's more than what some of the negative crowd will do for the rest of us fishermen/women.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post

Yakker drives a long distance to have the chance to get into some fish, then he posts a timely, factual report (the same report that far too many on this site have bitched incessantly about NOT GETTING) with depth, bait, water temp, and he get's critiqued about it.
I did not say anything about the report except i personally would not have killed them. I enjoy the timely report as do others i just belive that sometimes fish should be catch and release if there too small. Dont tell me if someone posted showing a bunch of 4 inch calicos someone woulnt have complained. I just belive in letting the fish grow up and get a chance to breed so our kids and our kids kids will get a chance to catch a offspring of that fish.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can piss off some of the same people all the time.

(This comment is intended to be humorous, it is not intended to be directed toward anyone, or meant to be offensive in any way)
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
steveooo

My wife tells me that size doesn't matter

Legal catch, enough fish to make a couple meals, a double on to make the drive worth it Congrats
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Gigafish

Cool pic, Nice catch. Jackpot on most of these cattle herd boats. Thanks for the report.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
I did not say anything about the report except i personally would not have killed them. I enjoy the timely report as do others i just belive that sometimes fish should be catch and release if there too small. Dont tell me if someone posted showing a bunch of 4 inch calicos someone woulnt have complained. I just belive in letting the fish grow up and get a chance to breed so our kids and our kids kids will get a chance to catch a offspring of that fish.
You apparently don't know a lot about the breeding habits of our local fish.

First, it is legal to catch and keep 5lb yellowtails. They reproduce at an alarming rate which is why the Tuna sportboats are putting hundreds of yellows in their daily counts.

Second, it is illegal to keep calicos under 12", so that post will never occur, unless by a total moron. It takes years and years for calicos to become legal. Those yellowtail are maybe a year old.

You can keep 5 yellowtail of that size, the next 5 have to be longer than 24". 4" calicos are illegal.

Thanks, Danjor for releasing your small yellowtail. Maybe we'll catch them on our next trip and have some fresh hamachi to look forward to.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Drake

Quote:
With the charters hitting the 163 the past few days, limiting out on small guys like these two. It's really not a problem. We're spoiled with larger YT coming through our waters, but for the most part these 12lbers are the majority. I saw a photo of the kelp patty from this week and they're just riddled with them. As steve said, legal catch and Aaron said, the smaller fish taste better. The meat is more tender and flavorfull. On the East Coast we used to toss the Trophy Stripers back after a good photo and keep the just barely legal ones.

Congrats on the haul, I'm sure they're going to taste great.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
lowprofile

well you guys cant complain about him killing any "breeders"

oh wait, thats only t sharks.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

No, it's pretty much all fish (and sharks).
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Drake

Quote:
shoulda flylined them back out.

nice tacos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakhunter View Post
Oh no.....the rats are back.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
No, it's pretty much all fish (and sharks).
except yellows and seabass... of course.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
carbonbass

flylining or egg sinker?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote