Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

Curado 300 or Lexa 300?

Anyone fish a Lexa yet?
Your thoughts?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Mr hooks

Talking

I have the Lexa 200 and i like how smooth it cast. I haven't had a good fight yet to test the drag. The Lexa 300 has 21 lbs of drag. I have the 300 ej too and have no complaints with it. Shimano reels have always good for me with all the sea water that gets in them. They are still working great. The Lexa 300 is $200 which is nice price. Call Chart bait and they might even spool you up with braid to go with it. My opinion is that u can't wrong with ether one I like both.
Mr hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
rogersmith

I have a Lexa 300 and love it so far. Very smooth casting, drag not tested yet but feels good.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
BrokeLoser

I'm leaning toward the Daiwa...it looks like I can get a brand new Lexa for $50-ish cheaper than a used Curado...Did you guys go with the 7.1:1 high speed retrieve on the Lexa?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
MrPatrick

Reel

Revo Toro or Revo Toro NaCL
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
kayakhunter

The Lexa 300 blows the Curado 300 away IMO.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Revo Toro or Revo Toro NaCL
Oh no!
Don't confuse me further.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Theophilus
Junior

Reel

This is the one you want
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abu-garcia-salty-stage-revo-lj-3-baitcasting-reel.jpg (36.7 KB, 663 views)
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
T-Rex

Lexa 300 HSP

I just ordered Daiwa Lexa 300 7.1:1 last Saturday for $153.99 from Haddrells Point Warehouse. All three are sweet reels, but at that price point it was pretty hard to pass up the Lexa. It's about $120 less than what I could find a Revo NaCL for and $80 less than a Curado 300ej.

Last edited by T-Rex; 01-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
BrokeLoser

Thanks for the advice guys...now I just need to decide...power handle or paddle handle?
I'll be fishing for calico's with this setup most of the time.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
T-Rex

For calicos in kelp or heavy structure I'd go with a power handle. For lighter inshore applications and bays I'd go with the paddle handle.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
For calicos in kelp or heavy structure I'd go with a power handle. For lighter inshore applications and bays I'd go with the paddle handle.
Sounds to me like you're saying I need to buy two reels?...haha
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
T-Rex

Two handles! I ordered my Lexa with the paddle handle, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying a power handle down the road. I was a little disappointed it didn't come with both. I think the Curado and Revos come with both the paddle and power handles so you can change them out as needed.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
INGRIDSDAD

At $154 for a Lexa 300 I'm tempted to pick up another. If my Curado 200 takes a dump this year I will buy another Lexa. I love the way it cast.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
BrokeLoser

Quote:
I just ordered Daiwa Lexa 300 7.1:1 last Saturday for $153.99 from Haddrells Point Warehouse.
Is that the place in South Carolina? They reliable?
Where do they ship from and how do they ship.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
JeffB

I've tried both reels and would take the Curado 300 over it for sure. Don't waste your time with Revo's, I had to rebuild my inshore 2x bc they are not very water proof and the gears can only handle so many fish. Don't get confused with the drag power on these reels either. Some claim to have 20lbs+, that's more than so e of my conventional reels. They don't have that much drag, trust me. I had big bass strip line from my Revo, Lexa 300, and Curado 300. If you really want to get a nice reel with real true drag power, then pick up the new Calcutta 400D. It's the nicest reel I have ever owned and has been put through the ringer. Now I'm not saying the Lexa is a bad reel, for the money you can't beat it. Just saying its not the best. I would buy another Curado 300 any day before I purchased another Lexa.

Like everyone else, it's just my $.02

Okuma has some really nice reels as well. They are light, low pro and have nice deep spools. I have a Cedros 273cj that is sick. I've caught numerous 8lb+ fish on it including a 15+ Muskie.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I've tried both reels and would take the Curado 300 over it for sure. Don't waste your time with Revo's, I had to rebuild my inshore 2x bc they are not very water proof and the gears can only handle so many fish. Don't get confused with the drag power on these reels either. Some claim to have 20lbs+, that's more than so e of my conventional reels. They don't have that much drag, trust me. I had big bass strip line from my Revo, Lexa 300, and Curado 300. If you really want to get a nice reel with real true drag power, then pick up the new Calcutta 400D. It's the nicest reel I have ever owned and has been put through the ringer. Now I'm not saying the Lexa is a bad reel, for the money you can't beat it. Just saying its not the best. I would buy another Curado 300 any day before I purchased another Lexa.

Like everyone else, it's just my $.02

Okuma has some really nice reels as well. They are light, low pro and have nice deep spools. I have a Cedros 273cj that is sick. I've caught numerous 8lb+ fish on it including a 15+ Muskie.
So you're saying the claimed max drag spec on the curado, revo and Lexa is B.S.? How do the manufactures get away with making those claims?
Can you be specific; what about the curado makes it better than the Lexa?

P.S.- I already have a luna 253 and a 300 conventional....love em both. I'm just becoming sort of a rod and reel wh@re like most of you...haha
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #18
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Is that the place in South Carolina? They reliable?
Where do they ship from and how do they ship.
Yes, they're in the Charleston area. I've never bought anything from them online before, but when I lived in North Carolina I visited their Mount Pleasant, SC tackle shop quite a few times and was always pleased with their selection and service. For this reel I opted for their 7-14 day free shipping.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Yes, they're in the Charleston area. I've never bought anything from them online before, but when I lived in North Carolina I visited their Mount Pleasant, SC tackle shop quite a few times and was always pleased with their selection and service. For this reel I opted for their 7-14 day free shipping.
Cool. Thanks.
JeffB has me a little concerned. Does anyone know if the 'claimed' 22lbs of drag is real or not?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Does anyone know if the 'claimed' 22lbs of drag is real or not?
Do you really need 22lbs of drag on a bait caster? Are you fishing for calicoes or tuna? I would assume you will usually be fishing around 10-15lbs max and it will easily do that. That's enough drag to bring in anything you will find locally, especially when paired with the lighter weight rods you use for these types of reels. The Lexa IMO is an awesome reel and you will be stoked with it.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote