Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Rocketfish

Oahu

I'm going to Oahu next month for the first time ever. Can you fine folk tell me about the fishing opportunities there? Is there good yak fishing to be done? Where could I rent a yak and some fishing gear? Also... Do they have cattle boats like we do? As much as I'd love to spend an entire day on a charter, I have my family with me, so I'm hoping for something very early morning that will bring me back home in time for brunch.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Jizzling

Hawaii has one of thee best fishing out there hands down. They have everything from mahimahi, ono, sailfish, yellowfin tuna. I'll post a link to their website. Hopefully you can find what you're looking for there.

http://kayaktours.aquahunters.com/in...d=7&Itemid=101

P.S. If you've seen the tv show "pacific warriors" this is their website. So fishing with these experts will guarantee fish in your lap.
Happy catching!
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
octico

I am going to Oahu in October, be sure to post something up when you get back.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Fishin Phil

Snorkel at

http://hanauma-bay-hawaii.com/

You will be blown away at the amount of sea life.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
skrilla

Was there a few months ago. X2 on Hanauma Bay. Biggest bonefish I've ever seen there. Some in knee deep.

Tons of reef to fish around the island. Look up whipping. It's a very effective way to fish from shore. And it can be done with cheap tackle you can buy locally. No party boats but you can find share boats to take you out for a day. I didn't kayak there but there are a few rental places I found online. Summer time means south swells so watch out. Also winds can kick up quick and right now is the start of Hurricane season.

Here their fish regarding site. Less rules. Easy to learn.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/fishing-regulations/
Old 07-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
tattuna

I spent a week on the North Shore last August and fished a different beach every morning for only 1 lizardfish. If you're going to shore fish I would recommend Papailoa Beach, as that was the only place I saw anyone catching fish (small papio on small Kastmasters). I would definitely try to charter a boat next time as the reefs are pretty decimated (the entire island is surrounded by reef). There are some big bonefish roaming the coast though. If you can't get on a boat, a kayak would be the way to go, just get out past the reefs. No fishing license needed and the only rule is to not mess with the turtles, there's sea turtles everywhere.