Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
skrilla

PSA: LJ reserve 6/17

This yellow guy does NOT mark the end of the LJ reserve.

This is the landmark. When the flag pole and palm tree align as you paddle west.

So keep paddling a few more hundred yards fellas.

Because that's where the fish are. Home by breakfast. Report by noon. Happy early Father's Day.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
FISH11

Congrats, Good on the post about the border of the MLPA. The funny thing is I took the same picture yesterday so I could post a response to some of the newbies that had asked on here. Almost every trip out there I see somebody fishing inside and it does not look like they are just trying to get macs for bait. Just align the flag pole, corner of building and the large palm tree between the cottages then west of that you are safe.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Geez, it sure seems like someone ought to move the yellow "reserve marker" to the edge of the reserve.... now wouldn't that make sense?!?

Congrats on the catch!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
TJones

Nice thread

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
jbl_91762

Nice Fish!! Thank you so much for posting pics as I plan on trying luck for the first time early July!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
jorluivil

https://www.dfg.ca.gov/m/MPA/Map

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
FullFlavorPike

Pretty sure that buoy isn't for marking the reserve anyways. Nice trick with the tree and flagpole.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
FISH11

That yellow buoy is actually another one for sending tide or surf info. It has nothing to do with marking the boundary. There are no visual markings of the boundary on the water. Need to have an app or a GPS that have it marked, it's not even on most GPS maps.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Oxbeast1210

Ive been going to far! lol thanks for the report and picture.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

Thanks for your post. I'm out there to relax and escape the hassles of shore life, but always get concerned when I see guys fishing inside the reserve. I'll usually politely mention the boundaries along with the expensive consequences. Would hate to see kayak fishermen as a group get a bum wrap for the errors of a few.

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
monstahfish

Sunday there were a bunch of guys fishing inside the reserve on my way in. I let them know the flag pole trick in a friendly way and they all moved out. Except one guy, he immediately told me to "f*ck off" and mind my own business or call the FBI. His buddy stayed silent probably thinking to himself about how much of an asshole his friend is. I told him he was going to cause trouble for the rest of us if he got caught to which he replied "suck my d*ck" I told him karma's a bitch and went on my way. Don't know what his problem is but if you're reading this, I hope you become shark bait.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Download the boundaries to your memory cards in your FF guys. Its very easy and takes out all guess work. Has every MLPA in CA.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

This should help those who dont currently have the boundaries on their gps

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28242
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #14
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Sunday there were a bunch of guys fishing inside the reserve on my way in. I let them know the flag pole trick in a friendly way and they all moved out. Except one guy, he immediately told me to "f*ck off" and mind my own business or call the FBI. His buddy stayed silent probably thinking to himself about how much of an asshole his friend is. I told him he was going to cause trouble for the rest of us if he got caught to which he replied "suck my d*ck" I told him karma's a bitch and went on my way. Don't know what his problem is but if you're reading this, I hope you become shark bait.
Jesus Christ, What is wrong with some people. You try to help a guy out and they act like that.

Mean people SUCK!

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #15
bolocop

I usually stay silent in this situation. What's the upside? You save some fish from being caught before an imaginary line? I see a lot of downside depending on who you run in to on the water. Maybe the guy starts hucking iron your way?

If DFG was so concerned about some imaginary line, they would put the buoys back and mark the MLPA.

Here's another point, in my years of fishing La Jolla, I've never seen DFG on the water (nor on shore for that matter...). If this MLPA thing was so vital, you think there would be enforcement. Can you imagine if you never saw CHP on the freeways? Would you start driving 100mph?

Honestly, if I see a huge bait ball before the MLPA, my sabiki is going down. Catch me if you can...

Quote:
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
I usually stay silent in this situation. What's the upside? You save some fish from being caught before an imaginary line? I see a lot of downside depending on who you run in to on the water. Maybe the guy starts hucking iron your way?

If DFG was so concerned about some imaginary line, they would put the buoys back and mark the MLPA.

Here's another point, in my years of fishing La Jolla, I've never seen DFG on the water (nor on shore for that matter...). If this MLPA thing was so vital, you think there would be enforcement. Can you imagine if you never saw CHP on the freeways? Would you start driving 100mph?

Honestly, if I see a huge bait ball before the MLPA, my sabiki is going down. Catch me if you can...
I guess it comes down to a few things; We all abide by the rules and the anti fishing crowd can't come after us, we say f them and start drawing attention to ourselves and it becomes a problem.
Yes it's an imaginary line and properly managed limits and seasons makes more sense than shutting down areas to recreational anglers but it's what we have for now and most of the fish are outside it anyway.
Ever heard of the tragedy of the commons? Essentially a few greedy pieces of shit ruin everything for everyone else and that guy and his buddy are those few people. Yeah other guy, I'm including you because you sat there spineless right next to him when you could have said something or just ditch him and start paddling for the reserve line.
I'll continue to let people know and if I get a negative response, it is what it is, I have no desire to fight someone but I'm not going to be afraid of some loudmouth douche bag either, I'll be the bigger man. The guys who said thanks all got tips on where to find bait too.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Take his picture so we can see who this fine representative of the community is.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
skrilla

Update: she went 21# on the dot after being bled and iced overnight. Full egg sac. And stomach half full of...

Dines! Not a single red crab not even a claw. Now what to do with my red crab colored irons.

The upside? To better aware anglers who genuinely don't know. This PSA was easier to post rather than paddling up to 12+ individuals. And posting here will get the message out to many more.

I've seen the downside but the jerks are outnumbered by the honest and good guys. And chucking iron my way ain't nothing new. Usually the community takes care of the offenders so that kind of drama is short lived.

I've had plenty of run ins with wardens on and off the water including LJ. Yes most of the time not. But for the most part we police ourselves. And that action right there gives us kayakers a good rep and respect. Still it's your choice where you want to drop your sabiki... every group has some rebels might as well be you.