Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Mr_Fixit

Threshers

So, I headed out of Carlsbad this weekend. What a sequence of friggin disasters! I managed to dent my car during unloading. I misplaced my leader material (Still to be found). I lost my glasses during launch (Wave hit me oddly). Could barely find bait. Broke a pole while trying to un-snag kelp. During landing, the waves were so large I was focused on steering and forgot to unlock my rudder, so the pin broke. Thankfully I had a spare.

Two questions - 1 - What are those little brown fish? They are long and skinny. Heads are fairly flat and a little pointy at the nose. Lots of little teeth.

2 - I did manage to catch a thresher. He put up a nice fight and towed me around for a while. I hooked him in the pectoral fin near the body. Even with that he jumped three times, which was fun. He was set free after removing the hook. Friendly little guy, 30 pounds or so I would guess. Question is, I have seen a number of these caught and it seems is fairly common to hook them in a fin. Is this a product of them trying to stun the bait?

Hopefully next trip is more productive and less destructive. It sucks not being able to see right.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote