Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Flounder

Compass Vs Outback

Personally looking into Compass vs Outback. These are my opinions and its a work in progress finishing up my research before purchase.

Lets start here. Few dedicated fisherman leave their kayak fully stock neither will I. We will all tinker and improve till the day we die. I don't have to have everything but it does make time on the water more enjoyable.

Issues to compare:
Biggest issue...
Drive: I want the 180 mirage. Its a costly upgrade on Compass bringing it within a few hundo of the outback. For my style of fishing Reverse is a must. 2k price point broken by A LOT.

Storage: Keeping neat. Outback has much more thought put into layout. Compass is a blank slate. Again having to spend $$ to add things that the outback already has. Keeping neat is key to not catching a hook or loosing a fish of a lifetime.

Seat: Compass : Lumbar support was there but outback seat kills it vs compass style. Still comfortable just not the best. Point outback and to upgrade the seat more $$$.

Rudder: Both are very responsive. not enough water time with either. Compass rudder storage under the yak is advantage in my opinion, but I can see where it could be a disadvantage but I like things out of the way.

Hull: Compass was a little wetter ride hitting 1-2 foot boat chop at speed but cut nicely through them, outback rode a little higher and front rides up waves a little more vs cutting them leaving me a bit drier. Both were tested without gear.

Overall:

Either can work but I am now leaning towards the Outback and probably going to go used since I hate financing toys. I initially was attracted to the Compass only to realize the savings would not be there for me after adding the extra upgrades to make it MY fishing machine.

Anyone want to add to this other advantages and disadvantages that really stand out? Thanks in advance.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Personally looking into Compass vs Outback. These are my opinions and its a work in progress finishing up my research before purchase.

Lets start here. Few dedicated fisherman leave their kayak fully stock neither will I. We will all tinker and improve till the day we die. I don't have to have everything but it does make time on the water more enjoyable.

Issues to compare:
Biggest issue...
Drive: I want the 180 mirage. Its a costly upgrade on Compass bringing it within a few hundo of the outback. For my style of fishing Reverse is a must. 2k price point broken by A LOT.

Storage: Keeping neat. Outback has much more thought put into layout. Compass is a blank slate. Again having to spend $$ to add things that the outback already has. Keeping neat is key to not catching a hook or loosing a fish of a lifetime.

Seat: Compass : Lumbar support was there but outback seat kills it vs compass style. Still comfortable just not the best. Point outback and to upgrade the seat more $$$.

Rudder: Both are very responsive. not enough water time with either. Compass rudder storage under the yak is advantage in my opinion, but I can see where it could be a disadvantage but I like things out of the way.

Hull: Compass was a little wetter ride hitting 1-2 foot boat chop at speed but cut nicely through them, outback rode a little higher and front rides up waves a little more vs cutting them leaving me a bit drier. Both were tested without gear.

Overall:

Either can work but I am now leaning towards the Outback and probably going to go used since I hate financing toys. I initially was attracted to the Compass only to realize the savings would not be there for me after adding the extra upgrades to make it MY fishing machine.

Anyone want to add to this other advantages and disadvantages that really stand out? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the share! I have been having an almost identical conversation for a couple of months, and your conclusions are very similar to mine.

Having fished alongside an outback in my trident 13, I have definitely had times where I was barely keeping pace or not at all. My paddlers box is pretty shitty right now, but I’m definitely not concerned about the speed of an outback in Malibu surf.

When looking at price point, I definitely agree that for what I want in a compass, I would likely end up spending outback money to get it.

Based on what I’ve seen with an alert setup on craigslist, the good deals are there, but they go fast-usually about 4-7 days. I saw guy selling a practically new, with paddle, upgraded rudder and fins, 2016 model close to downtown for around 2K because he was getting ready to propose to his girlfriend. Almost jumped at it
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Flounder

Thanks I'm glad I am not the only one that has come to these conclusions. I can only average 2-3 mph on my little kayak its like a tugboat, where 5+ was relatively easy to get to while on the Hobies. Really looking forward to the new areas these will open up.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Thanks I'm glad I am not the only one that has come to these conclusions. I can only average 2-3 mph on my little kayak its like a tugboat, where 5+ was relatively easy to get to while on the Hobies. Really looking forward to the new areas these will open up.
Your Hobie dealer might be able to sell the Glide drive and give you cash back for the purchase of the 180 drive. The compass is a little lighter in weight and a little wetter at speed. I plan on going with the Compass. Unless you buy used the cost of extras will be there. Tight Lines. Try OEX Sunset Beach, Andy can answer ALL your yaking questions.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Buddhaa64

Quote:

Issues to compare:
Biggest issue...

Overall:

Just went through the same dilemma. I was dead set on the compass and demoed it for a final run before buying. Did a two hour demo/rental with the outback, compass, and revo 13 at OEX. Big thanks to Andy and his crew for all the help. After spending a little time in the compass I realized I enjoyed the outback and revolution way more. The compass is a great kayak, but to me the rudder control is not as nice as the other two boats, nor is the seat. Like you said, once you upragde the compass you are in outback terrritory. The vantage seat is just too nice to pass up. I ended up buying a used 2017 camo outback. If buying the compass for what it is and not upgrading it to the MD180, square hatch, turbo fins, etc. it’s a great buy. But, once you factor all that in the outback takes the cake. It’s a platform that doesn’t need much upgrading and already has top of the line bells and whistles.

Great write up.
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
goldenglory18

Awesome thread as I'm slowly starting to consider the same thing.

One point that I'd like to throw out there, is I really do think the Compass is a brilliant sales ploy from Hobie. For starters, its a great "entry level" boat for them at the sub-2k price point. BUT, I think they really hit it out of the park because a lot of smart buyers are going to do the same thing that just happened here. Consider both boats, add up the costs of the differences on the two boats, then realize its "cheaper" to just buy the more expensive boat first off and be done with it.

Either way, keep the conversation going. I'm really curious on how the resale prices of the older models gets effected by this new offering.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote