Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

New Kayak for a 10year old

This section is only for people who actually have a child, own a kid's kayak and have experience with children on the water.

I am looking for a kayak that can be used at convict lake in and out of harbors and close enough to return back to the bathroom.

What kayak do you have, and what paddle did you choose for your kid?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
jbara

I have 2 Hobie mirage sports. Jr high kids can reach the peddle and steer no problem. I'm getting ready to sell them because I just take them out on my island now.
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
ctfphoto

My nine year old has his own Malibu 9 Mini-X.

Very stable, but kinda slow.

It also can be towed.

Fun for dad to take in and out on high surf days without any gear to practice (have fun).

Last edited by ctfphoto; 05-04-2016 at 08:55 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

I have a Scrambler (10 foot) that I bought for me to use in harbors and either of my kids to use to tag along. You are welcome to borrow it to see how they like it.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hobie Sport!

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
hiramehunter

Malibu mini-X - very stable but not the fastest. I also bring 5/8" poly rope in case the wind kicks up and i need to tow them in

Convict would be a fun place to yak!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
pingpangdang

I still use my mini x and fished lakes, lj kelp, San Diego river, both bays... my son is 8 and for a small kayak it's great for him bass fishing. Unloaded it's like 39lbs I believe and at a little over 9'. Takes a beating well.

It does take some more energy paddling in strong winds and current but I don't expose my son to those conditions.

As mentioned earlier it is stable and fun in the surf.

The price is great too...you can find them pretty much anywhere for a deal I bought mine many years ago off craigslist for 300 practically new. oex usually has sales on these every year as well if I'm not mistaken.

Learn on that thing and everything else is icing on the cake.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
momo fish

Used a hobie sport.. Easier to use than a paddle kayak as kids have less patience than adults... My 11 year old went through a few and this seemed to fit him the best... Plus with wind usually an issue no matter where you go sure makes it easier to come back in... Also funnel tube to the drive for bathroom breaks..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
INGRIDSDAD

Love the Mini X, small enough its not a pain to move around but stable enough kids can walk around on it. My daughter paddled it like a SUP when she was little. Never worried about what paddle, if we were going any distance I towed her. It also has enough capacity for anyone to use.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Dave Legacy

My son is 10 and IF I got him his own kayak it would be a mini-X for all the reasons stated above. After this thread I just might too.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
octico

When my son was younger (13) I took him out. He thought it was cool for all of about 3 hours max. After, that he was bored out his mind. My kid at that age had the attention span of a gold fish. He loves fishing but for some reason the yak fishing did not appeal to him. We go fishing on boats and from shore and he loves it. It could be that being stuck on a little yak for hours did it for him.

Before you invest any money, I would suggest renting something and take him/her out in the harbor for a few hours and see if your child likes it.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
rayster
Junior

I help with the Kayaks4Kidz program and we use Ocean Kayaks Scrambler for kids 8 and up and they have no problems controlling them.

Ray
rayster is offline   Reply With Quote