Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Dropper Loop

How in the EFF do i Get my Dropper loop hooks to not twist and create a mess on the main line????

Last time, out of necessity (when snapping my Carolina Rig on the Rocks) I switched over to a double dropper loop and killed the rock fish!!! 1 out of 4 or 5 times, upon reeling the spinner and or conventional up, The dropper loop hook was still tangled in a circular manner along the main line :/

Besides, tying the Loops shorter to the mainline, and or dropping my rig slower, any suggestions as to how to kill the bottom species with less tangles, please and thankkkkk you (;

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

A nice three way swivel? Or two instead of a dropper?
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Higher test line, swivel on sinker. If you are a pedaler, reel slower as you're pedaling forward.

Last edited by jruiz; 06-07-2016 at 04:46 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Dropper loops without a 3 way swivel always gave me problems as well. Didnt matter which knot. Dropper loop, reverse dropper, spider hitch, surgeons loop, they all create line twist. Try to switch over to a three way (not talking girls) and make the weighted side leader about half the length as your hook side. I like to run 20lb on the weight and 30 or 40lb on the hook. When you start drifting, make sure when you paddle back up current, that you dont make circles around your rig. Wind back up, then reset the drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
stevie951
Lurker

I have not tried swivels yet with the Drooper, muchos gracias for all the suggestions!!! Hopefully I can report back with some success

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 06-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
PescadorPete

Here's how I do it. The beads hold the swivel at a right angle to the main line. The beads allow the hook leader to rotate around the main line without it getting all twisted up. I make them up with two hooks and keep them in my tackle tray. A loop at the end of the mainline for the sinker and a swivel at the other end to attach to the reel line.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
YTHunter
Carlisle

what sleeves are you using on either side of the beads?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
PapaDave

These work especially well...

http://www.amazon.com/Thundermist-Co...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
bolocop

I don't think the previous suggestions involving swivels will work. The OP isn't worried about line twist of the mainline or the dropper, it's that the dropper is being wrapped around the mainline on the way up or down.

The only way without tying a short loop, which the OP doesn't want to do, is to use wire that won't bend. Then you can keep your dropper line away from your mainline.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
I don't think the previous suggestions involving swivels will work. The OP isn't worried about line twist of the mainline or the dropper, it's that the dropper is being wrapped around the mainline on the way up or down.

The only way without tying a short loop, which the OP doesn't want to do, is to use wire that won't bend. Then you can keep your dropper line away from your mainline.
I've never gotten tangled using those swivels. Bait swims around and it doesn't wrap the line either.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I've never gotten tangled using those swivels. Bait swims around and it doesn't wrap the line either.
Yup, swivels will work if the bait is causing your tangle. I interpreted his problem on the drop or the retrieve since he mentioned "dropping more slow".

Either way, I hope he finds the solution to his problem.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
PescadorPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Now that's pretty cool, maybe I should have applied for a patent .

I think the crimp sleeves I used are Squidco size A2.

I haven't had this type of rig tangle up on me. Of course, your mileage may vary.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

He was actually asking "other than dropping my rig slower". So it seems he already tried this. Which is why we are giving him other suggestions...

Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
acorad

Quote:
How in the EFF do i Get my Dropper loop hooks to not twist and create a mess on the main line????
Short, stiff line on the dropper. Only need an inch or two.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
bolocop

[QUOTE=YakDout;262802]He was actually asking "other than dropping my rig slower". So it seems he already tried this. Which is why we are giving him other suggestions...

YakDout, I understand you point, but I'm confused about the OP's issue. If he's trying to prevent bait from fouling him up at the bottom, I understand the 3-way swivel will work. If he's trying to prevent the line to the hook from fouling on the way up or down, I don't see how a 3-way swivel will totally prevent that situation. He would need something like coat hanger wire.

Let me know if I've totally misunderstood this entire thread...
Old 06-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
YakDout
Brandon

Dropper Loop

[QUOTE=bolocop;262821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
He was actually asking "other than dropping my rig slower". So it seems he already tried this. Which is why we are giving him other suggestions...

YakDout, I understand you point, but I'm confused about the OP's issue. If he's trying to prevent bait from fouling him up at the bottom, I understand the 3-way swivel will work. If he's trying to prevent the line to the hook from fouling on the way up or down, I don't see how a 3-way swivel will totally prevent that situation. He would need something like coat hanger wire.

Let me know if I've totally misunderstood this entire thread...

No I think you are right, and now I am also confused with the OP. He may have answered his question in his first post. Wind in and drop down slower. Or your suggestion of using a short piece of wire to keep the hook line away from main line. I used to somewhat have this problem until I figured out what lengths to run the weight and hook lines

Old 06-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
stoned-trout

yo

and don't buy those cheap 3 way brass looking ones ..half the time they bind up and cause twist anyhow ..I use the tsunami pro ...10 for like 6$ at fishermanssource,,I got the glow in the dark beads ones...
Old 06-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
stevie951
Lurker

[QUOTE=YakDout;262823]
Quote:

No I think you are right, and now I am also confused with the OP. He may have answered his question in his first post. Wind in and drop down slower. Or your suggestion of using a short piece of wire to keep the hook line away from main line. I used to somewhat have this problem until I figured out what lengths to run the weight and hook lines

The Issue I have is the Loops actually twisting themselves along the mainline like a tether ball... I Don't use swivels Just two dropper loop knots with a sinker at the end of the main line may be part of my issue as well, but I did kind of answer it originally because I have the most issues with the Dropper set up on a spinner, whereas I feel like it happens less when I have a dropper on the conventional but it's still happening...

these are the crap swivels I stopped using a while ago... I Will for sure take up all your guys Line and Swivel recommendations and put them to test.. Much appreciated!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #19
hiramehunter

I use 40# mono for my dropper loop. (Usually have about 5-10 cranks of 40# top shot with uni to uni to 65# power pro) It's a nice stiffness. Plus I keep the loops instead of cutting them. Also the biggest thing for me of minimizing the twisting was just winding up slower. Keep the pressure on but I stopped cranking it up like I'm in a race. Just a nice slow pace has helped out a lot. I don't think it twists on the way down. I usually fish between 200-320'. My 2 cents.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #20
2-Stix

I did the 3 way for a few years, I have moved to the spider. Yes you get tangles, but I try to limit the amount of knots. I like the swivel for the weight idea.

Plus fishing the charters on a hot bite its a lot faster to rig up.

Albright at floro/braid, spider hitch 12" loop mid way down about 4' to double surgeons on the end another 4' for my weight, big loop to swap out weights pending current change.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote