Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
old_rookie

kayak storage spots

Time for me to move the kayak off the floor of the garage - wife complained that it was 110 outside, her car parked in the driveway cooking while my kayak was in the garage...

I mounted hooks in the rafters in the garage, but when I pull on the hook I can see the rafters bending slightly - and I'm not pulling very hard. So hanging a 60lbs kayak is making me wonder if it is a good idea. Otherwise I'm thinking of hanging the yak along the chain link fence in the back yard and covering it with a canvas tarp - or would plastic be better? I read the article about keeping it upside down. Wondering if others are hanging it by the rafters or storing it outside.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Nail a couple of verticle stringers to your rafters for reinforcement. For sure do what ever to keep it inside. Harbour Freight has some cool velcro straps with snap hooks for rafters.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
gabe

Hang it sideways on one of the side walls of your garage.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Jzo

This is what I use in the garage but you can also use it to store outside with the cover, very stable.

11-17-2010 8-05-07 AM.jpg

http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-557003.aspx
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post
Nail a couple of verticle stringers to your rafters for reinforcement. For sure do what ever to keep it inside. Harbour Freight has some cool velcro straps with snap hooks for rafters.

That's what I did - stringers that is. I used strips of 1x4 from the rafter to the roof joists. I use pulleys to help hoist it, and then ratcheting tie-downs for the last couple inches & for extra support - don't need any risk of it falling.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
old_rookie

Thanks for the ideas. I just may need to clean-out the garage. Hanging on the wall isn't an option - no wall space available. The folding stands look good. I'll see what HD has.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote