Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Tips about fishing Anchorage, Alaska.

My nephew is going to Anchorage, Alaska for friend's wedding in August.

They have a couple days free and I suggested to go fishing.

Any tips about charter operations would be appreciated. He along with his other friends are newbies.

You can PM me if prefer.

Thanks in advance.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
grey zone

If they have a couple of days here are some options but first decide between fresh water or ocean fishing. August is when the silver salmon start running and they be caught in both fresh and salt. Fresh water can be done on a budget if they are into DIY fishing. You can fish for silvers in Ship creek which is in downtown Anchorage or drive about 25 miles south down the Seward Hwy to Bird creek and fish for them. If they don't mind driving to Soldotna which is about 135 miles south they can fish for pink and silver salmon on the Kenai river at the visitors center. All they have to do is cast #3 Vibrax spinners. The Kenai will have a very large run of pinks this year and its a great opportunity to catch fish on your own. They can buy all the tackle they need at Cabelas or Bass Pro shop in Anchorage. If they do not want to go that far and don't mind spending money they can take a float trip on the upper Kenai out of Coopers landing for rainbow trout and dolly varden char. If they want to fish in the ocean for halibut and silvers, Seward is their best bet, its about a 130 mile drive from Anchorage but even if they decide not to fish I hope they get out and see a little bit of Alaska.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
grey zone

I realized that I gave you a bunch of information but to answer your question look into Crackerjack charters or J-Dock sport fishing in Seward. I have fished with Crackerjack and they run a very good operation and J-Dock has a good reputation.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Thank you for your help.

I have taken my nephew fishing a few times. I don’t know about his friends.
I will forward your reply, but my gut feeling is that they are all newbies with no knowledge of tying knots, etc.
They would be better on a boat with guide who would provide everything.

Thanks again.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote