Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
food4less562

Helicopter Rescues Six Malibu Kayakers After High Winds Blow Them Mile Out To Sea

Check the forecast before you go out. The red flag warning was in effect two days ago and won't die down until Tuesday.

http://www.smmirror.com/articles/New...t-To-Sea/41848

Helicopter Rescues Six Malibu Kayakers After High Winds Blow Them Mile Out To Sea

Six kayakers were blown a mile out to sea, and rescued by squid fishing boat crews, as 50 mile per hour Santa Ana winds cropped up suddenly in Malibu today.
Sustained winds of 47 miles per hour, and a gust of 81 mph, were recorded in the hills above Malibu today, as the six kayakers were blown south.
A large fleet of squid-fishing boats from Port Hueneme has been clustered near Point Mugu, taking advantage of ocean currents that concentrate squid there.
At least two of the kayaks were snared by the squid fleet to prevent them from being blown further out to sea. Lifeguards then used “Jetski”-type watercraft to tow the kayaks back to shore.
The rescue was a joint operation of lifeguards from Vednturas and Los Angeles counties, and California State Parks.
Paramedics examined the kayakers at Countyline Beach and pronounced them fine. Lifeguards said the people had been fishing just west of the Los Angeles-Ventura county line.
Winds had been calm in western Malibu at 7 a.m., but were blowing at up to 50 miles per hour at Leo Carrillo Beach, straight out to sea, when the rescue occurred at about 9 a.m.
By 11 a.m., winds of 34 mph were observed near Decker Canyon, with gusts out of the northeast of 59 mph.
“When the winds are blowing offshore, it’s a bad time to kayak,” observed L.A. County Lifeguards Capt. Dan Murphy. “Make sure to have a signal device, and a personal flotation device.”
In Malibu, power lines were reported down on Latigo Canyon Road, one mile uphill from Pacific Coast Highway. Traffic was getting through in the area, a deputy said, and no fire was reported.
“Malibu is getting hit right now,” he said, in a hurry.
The hurricane-force, 81 mph wind gust was reported at a Mesonet weather station operated by a homeowner near Saddle Peak, at the 1,500 foot elevation.
It was reported on the National Weather Service website at 10:15 a.m. That was not an official NWS reading, however.
Along the beach, palm fronds, eucalyptus branches and tumbleweeds were observed blowing across PCH at 8 a.m.
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Glad everything turned out OK and I hope it wasn't anyone from our community here.... But really?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
jorluivil

They should have started trolling some lures.

I'm just kidding.

Glad they're home safe.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Mongo Johnson

I'd welcome any guy involved to give some after action comments. AND it'd be nice if no one razzed 'em on the Forum. Even if it's under the "a friend of mine" caveat . . .

We'd all be better getting the benefit of a lesson learned from guys who were there wanting to go out and pushing it a little . . .

One report noted it was quiet in the a.m., so with a little benefit-of-the-doubt, and with "it could happen to anyone" as a watchword . . . I'd hope the experienced guys here would be kind

I get "but really" and I like the trolling lures idea! But, I'd like to hear from those involved.

Like the guy on the LB break wall some time back S$%# happens . . .
Old 11-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
HELLSTER INC.

Ok...come clean...who was it Had to be some hot dog on this site
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
easyday

So there's squid in Malibu?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

It was NoT me, I been home with the stomach flu. Someone has video lol!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 11-23-2014 at 08:11 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
momo fish

Yeah it was nasty. Drove by with kids around 10 after canceling morning trip. I'm over the hill from county and wind was nasty. Saw the chaos at the beach and glad I didn't head out either.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Cbad Mike

That blows!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
That blows!!!
I couldn't agree more.

I don't know why they didn't err on the side of caution

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

WTF??? BULLSHIT! Nobody was rescued by helicopter. I didnt even see a helicopter. Those guys were picked up by pbers. My fishing partner and I stayed to help account and what color kayaks we saw. Hope there was only 6, because that's all we saw and what we told em. Of course that guy on the news got water splashing over. He was on a little Bayliner. Saw him and his boy on the water, they were fishing. Just couldn't figure why he had a wetsuit on? ? Glad he picked up that one dude. But at the beach he was annoying as hell. Acted like he saved everyone. Of course that's his video he sent the news to look like a superhero. He picked up a solo kayaker, but come on, have a little humility bro, seriously.
Wind was supposed to be in the afternoon, so even the boaters got caught off guard. Wind came in, and everyone on the water bounced, including the 1/2 day boats.

Note to self, radio, pfd, buddy or two, triple check multiple weather sources. Glad everyone made it back ok.

Btw- couple guys lost kayaks, couple lost rods and reels (bunjee everything)!!!!

Glad we made it in early, safe, (not so dry), with all our gear, and even managed a yt!

BTW- squid are spawning over there. My fish had 12 in his belly (freshly eaten ones)!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Everyone is saying Tuesday will be good weather. Be safe guys!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1416808548759.jpg (34.4 KB, 303 views)
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

"Don't believe, everything you read" ~Tupac Shakur~

"A man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but the newspaper" ~Thomas Jefferson~

Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
socal.beach.bum

Wasn't me. Decided to hit cabrillo instead, and only stayed inside the harbor. Nice light breeze all morning but nothing crazy like it was up there. Glad I stayed local.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Wasn't me. Decided to hit cabrillo instead, and only stayed inside the harbor. Nice light breeze all morning but nothing crazy like it was up there. Glad I stayed local.
My first time in Cabrillo I launched beach side, fished the kelp. Then I got the crazy idea of going around the wall to fish inside. Wind picked up, and kid you not, took me almost two hours to paddle to the beach from the end of the wall. That was the day I learned why most those kayakers were off by noon.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
blitzburgh

Glad they're all OK. I went out Saturday because when I read the forecast for Sunday I turned into a...

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Trolling!!

ROF LOL

I'm sorry but some of the comments on here are priceless.

I'm glad it all worked out fine.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Ok...come clean...who was it Had to be some hot dog on this site

Hmm....let me see...

Might be a guy that frequents Malibu that hasn't checked in on this thread yet...Also who has a minimum of 6 kayakers in orbit around his kayak at all times....Let me guess...

TJONES....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
chxh8me

Winds were howling at my place late saturday night/early sunday morning. Figured that was a bad sign, as that was the case last weekend when another kayaker got blown off of County.

Gotta love that news link though. My critical reading skills deduce that the Lifeguards now have some form of hybrid helicopter/squid boat/jetski type watercraft at their disposal for rescuing kayakers. Makes me feel much more safe when paddling out.

Silbaugh, glad you got your YT and came outta there unscathed. And yes, the fish are definitely fattened up on squid right now. Might as well freeze all that and save it for bait next time. haha.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
socal.beach.bum

Winds looking to die down later this week. Anyone interested in going out Thursday or Friday morning?
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote