Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
kaz717

Fishing gear

Good afternooninterested in getting into the kayak fishing, what kind of rods and reels, are you using on the kayaks, I have a cobra fish and dive,
kaz717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

rod and reels

You can go a lot smaller on your reel sizes than you would on a normal boat rod, but if you already have set ups for you to use on your boat they will work just fine. I tend to use shorter rods, 7' and under, although my surface iron rod is 8', being the one exception. As far as reels I use nothing bigger than a trinidad 16, almost all my reels are spectra backed with extremely short topshots of less than 15'. I tend to only take 4 rods, 1 sabiki/backup bait/plastics rod (tirnidad 14 on a 6'6 seeker american series 15-30) , iron rod (8' grafighter deckhand grip 20-40 with a torium 16), deep rig(6' seeker 20-40 american series)and a flyline rig(trinidad 16 or avet on a seeker black steel 20-40). I hope this is somewhat helpful, and this is just my personal preference and not in anyway "law", The smaller avets and daiwa (largest daiwa I have used is a sealine 40 for yo yoing) sealines are also really nice. But try some out or talk to your buddies!

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

You'll go through cheaper rods faster, as kayaking takes a toll. Salt water + banging guides if you'll be stashing/storing them on landings.

Matt is on the ball with gear. Avets will do just fine if you take care of them, and take 'em apart and clean them yourself every few... depending how often you fish. You can read a lot that Sealines are great sturdy maintenace free cheap buy, perfect for kayak. Never owned one since I'm a lefty and they only come right handed.

Have safety gear and have fun.
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
beerman
Junior

I typically bring 3 rigs (on my FND) #1 an old shimano black magnum 2200 (ive got 3 of these for back-up from E-bay,havnt paid more than $30 for any,and have not had to breakinto the back-ups and an old shimano speedmaster 1652 triggerstick (these are hard to find,1980s vintage)
#2: shimano CALCUTTA 200GTB ON A FENWICK 7 FT TRIGGER STICK (BOTH THE ABOVE RODS RATED 10-25 LB)
#3: newell P226 on a calstar 270-7 deckhand special (I sometimes bolt on my Avet sx,but itsso nice I usually reserve it for stand-up fishing.) There is nothing wrong with an old penn 500 for a dependable 20 rig if your on a budget.
There is not much I cant stop with the above.The frequency of use is in order,I throw lots of plastic. Just my two pesos
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
O'side Yakker
Junior

just my .02

Before any recommendation can be made- may I ask:

What species of fish are you targeting?

Will you be fishing open ocean, lagoons, lakes, or what?

O'side Yakker is offline   Reply With Quote