Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
rastrev

TJ carjackings

Saw these on BD's, kind of scary stuff, I know a lot of the guys here like to go down south of the border as I do too, just thought it would be a good thing to be wary of, safe travels everyone.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ba...y-tj-road.html

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ba...vel-alert.html
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
madscientist

Yikes. Seriously not cool.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Scary stuff. Incidences like that are always possible.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Some bad stuff happens everyday in every country, I am glad that everyone made it home safely and alive. I have some pretty sketchy Mexico stories in my past, but I still go down there and the idea that you are safer in America....is just that an "idea". Mexico can be a wonderful place and it can be an awful place just like here! Stay safe and travel in groups or caravans and don't be a jerk, and the chances are that you will be fairly safe, bad stuff happening is always a possibility everywhere, not just in mexico!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Some bad stuff happens everyday in every country, I am glad that everyone made it home safely and alive. I have some pretty sketchy Mexico stories in my past, but I still go down there and the idea that you are safer in America....is just that an "idea".
Matt normally I would agree with the intent of your message. Most yakers are aware of the pros and cons of traveling in baja. This situation is not typical, but very dangerous. You can not say just be a good gringo and it will be fine. This is serious.

No, mex1 between Tj and Maneadero is NOT safer than the USA. Sorry. I'm not bashing the Mexcan people, but the crystal has made it very difficult to let your guard down. I'm not too concerned with federales and policia looking for mordidas. These are armed robbers that will kill you - game over.

Sure this happens all over the US, but we are talking a 70 mile stretch of highway. There's no way this type of activity would continue in the USA for a few weeks as well as the decades it has occurred in Baja.

This is not a issue of race, believe I'm the first one to call "a spade a spade" - I belive it is a drug problem affecting an entire area.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
wavster

I'm concerned about this, but here's an idea that I'd like feedback on:

If one is travelling along that route and sees flashing lights, how difficult would it
be to continue driving until you are at a well lit area (like the 1st toll both out of TJ)?

Before people start flaming me, I'm looking for serious suggestions, not unrealistic approaches.

If it's a real cop, would they understand? If it's a bandito, would they go away?
Or would either run you off the road, then take your stuff?

Just wondering...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hey Art,

I definitely agree with you, and all I was trying to say is that by being a "good gringo" you lessen the chances of bad stuff happening to you. I totally agree with you that crystal/crack/ice or "drugs" in general are definitely taking a toll on the region. All I am trying to say is everyone please be careful, do what you can to lessen your chances of having bad shit happen to you, it sounds like the guys who got hit in the bloodydecks story were hit by some pretty pro guys who were waiting for them, everyone just be safe! The area around where all the wsb are being caught has been notorious amongst my surfer friends as being a dangerous place, however I myself have never had a bad experience in that particular region, although I do have some pretty crazy secondhand stories regarding it(just check out The Darkhorse's august sub). So everyone please be as safe as you can.

Hey Dave, in my experience real cops have real cop cars, running from the cops isn't a good idea in any country and is probably a really bad idea in Mex. As far as the unmarked policia especial cars.....I say follow your instincts.....

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
wavster

Matt, I agree with not "running". I guess I was thinking more of a slow and steady drive
to a well populated area. Kind of like the "old lady not knowing she's being pulled over" scenario.

It would be nice if someone finds this story in print (vs. Internet). I'm not questioning
the validity, but it may help a cop understand if you pulled over in population
vs. stopping in the middle of no where...

...or one could just where running shoes in case it's a long walk home.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
aguachico

Dave;
yea I will not stop in a remote area for an unmarked car. I've never been pulled over while driving by an unmarked car or the AFI. I would proceed to the playas stay on the main road. The station is near the sports stadium.

No I have never been arrested there

Or go to the toll booth. Proceed at a safe legal speed. Your cell phone will be on Telcel GSM - dial ?660? for emergnecy and explain the situation.

Matt;
My heart goes out to the hard working people of Baja. The cristal is rotting away the small amount of dignity left in such a poor country. Soon these dopers will start ripping off the pesos of the poor.

I've been fotunate in my Baja travels, sometimes my complacency is rocked back into check by stories like these.

I just got word from my friend that this happened to a relative that lives in TJ 3 weeks ago. This type of crime goes mainly unreported. I would guess because of embarrassment.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
FISHIONADO

More details..

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/surfwire.cfm?id=10923#
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
crzyboy180
Junior

That road there seems to always have issues every few years. Its true that right now there is another cartel trying to move in and things are gonna get worse for a while. Its a crzy cycle.
I know my way around TJ and there is a few better routes to get to rosarito then thru Playas. One goes right by the Zona Rio and the other is "la 5 y 10" way. I know its not much help if you dont know but thats how we all get there from the city. That north end of town is trouble.

If that helps.
Joe
crzyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Ojos_raros

thats some scary shit. good summary on surfline, felt like I was right there.

Car theft has been going on there for many years. It actually happenned to me bout 12 years ago in Ensenada except no guns. We had parked downtown in a dimly lit, unguarded parking lot to play some pool. We werent in there for more than an hour. When I came out, my Toyota truck, surfboards and camping stuff inside was all gone. I was with friends so we made three different reports at all the right stations - why? I knew I would never see that car again. Never did either.

Someone needs to invent a device with a hidden switch connected to the fuel line that cuts the flow immediately - you'd make a million
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
phughes

Scary stuff.

I don't know if this is related or caused the two carjacks in a row but I read a recent article in the paper awhile back the local TJ tourism board and government were tired of the negative publicity from some of the local cops stopping and extorting money from US tourists on the same stretch of highway from TJ to La Playa/The Toll Road. Apparently it had caused a signigicant drop in tourism money. Anyway, it had been going on for years (happened to me in the 80's) so they started cracking down on the local cops and prohibited them from being seen on or patroling that stretch of roadway until it stopped and they got better press. Maybe the criminals figured it out and are now feeling they have an open and free shot at anyone on the road knowing there will be no cops.

Just a thought.
phughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

I am starting to think this is a bunch of creative writting?
I am not saying it is 100% bull shit, but many things just don't add up IMO.
If it really happend, it sucks and I feel bad for them guys and glad they are ok. There has to be more or less to the story if it is true.

IMHO- this looks like some local peeps want to keep the the surf spots less crowded.

None the less, safety in numbers. There is crime in baja and crime in the USA. It is what it is.

$.02
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote