Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Adam

Moyer Tournament Advice

Could someone advise me about the "non-fishing" details. Do we get out of the water at about noon, quickly load our kayaks and race over to Kate Sessions Park? What is the quickest route to the park?

Thanks, Adam
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
madscientist

The absolute worst thing about this tournament is having to race to the park to weigh in. There's always a huge mess at the beach and the tide will not be low around noon. There will be all the usual weekend rental traffic as well. Your best bet is wheels. As for getting to the park, I don't remember the exact directions (I think they'll hand them out or just follow someone else with a yak on their vehicle). The short cut is to go up and over Mt. Soledad, particularly if the freeway traffic is heavy. Realistically, landing at 11:30 is about the latest you'd want to do and not have to race, if you have wheels. Without wheels land at 10:30. Regardless, it sucks.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I would say noon might even cut it close depending on the crowds and the tides. If it is anything like last year it will be a mess. 180+ fishing kayaks + rentals and tourists was a pain in the ass. Sammons site should have directions to Kate sessions. There are two routes, one over soledad and the other down the freeway. Driving there with a fish at the last minute would suck, especially if you don't know the area. Time constraints and crowds kind of make make tournament fishing not so fun for me, I like to fish on my own time.

Bring wheels, you may need them.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 09-06-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
aguachico

Lately I have avoided the whole beach thing anyway.

I would guess from point to truck to park is 90 minutes.

If you wheel your yak back to the truck you can rinse off the WSB slime from your clothes at the shower. Check out some bootay, dress and cool ride it to the park.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
wavster

I was thinking the check-in was at Kellog Park. That would have been a drag...
...Kate Sessions a a bit of a ways off from the launch.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

Crowds suck...I plan to catch my winning fish EARLY, load up and leave before the beach / launch gets crowded, get some breakfast, read the paper, catch some rays and wait for everyone else to show up at Kate Sessions Park.
Did I mention Rock Star Parking?

Game on.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
h2ofishfo

my Q'S IS I DONT HAVE PAYPAL SO DO I JUST REGISTER & PAY WHEN I GET THERE OR IS THERE OTHER MEANS OF PAYING ???????????????????????
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
my Q'S IS I DONT HAVE PAYPAL SO DO I JUST REGISTER & PAY WHEN I GET THERE OR IS THERE OTHER MEANS OF PAYING ???????????????????????
Just don't give it to Pat, you'll never see it again!!!lol

BTW hightide is at 0900. Gonna catch a monster cuda to win all the marbles... they count right? Shit that's all I've caught in three weeks.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

The first time we did this tournament the weighin was at the beach and it was a big hassle, we had to get the kayaks off of the beach so once you loaded up you lost your parking space, so we moved to Kate Sessions and it has gone much smoother. Sorry if you think this "sucks" but everyone is playing by the same rules, so just plan accordingly.

The on line registration is still up so if you want to avoid paying the additional $10 register on line no later than tonight. IT is Pay Pal but you do not need to have a pay pal account just a credit card.

The drive from the launch to the park is tops 15 minutes
This route goes over the hill>>
>>
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=avenida+de+la+playa&daddr=32.843251,-117.251244+to:5115+Soledad+Rd,+San+Diego,+CA+92109 ,+USA&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=13&mra=dme&sll=32.832565,-117.247455&sspn=0.082649,0.077763&ie=UTF8&z=13&om=1
>>
>>
>>
This route is via the 5 south>>
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=avenida+de+la+playa&daddr=32.846423,-117.245064+to:5115+Soledad+Rd,+San+Diego,+CA+92109 ,+USA&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=13&mra=dpe&sll=32.832565,-117.247455&sspn=0.082649,0.077763&ie=UTF8&z=13&om=1
>>
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
so we moved to Kate Sessions and it has gone much smoother. Sorry if you think this "sucks" but everyone is playing by the same rules, so just plan accordingly.
Jim, it's your show, you can do it however you want. But I know the majority of people I have talked to all thoroughly dislike the weigh in procedure. It may run smoother for the organizers, but certainly not for many of the contestants. Honestly, one of the worst things about one day tournaments for me in general is the need to constantly watch the clock and try to calculate if I could make it in on time. If the weigh in is at the beach at least I know I can roughly calculate based on paddling speed. Throw in the need to load, drive, park, and dash and it is that much trickier and more stressful.

It also adds an unfair element. I usually have my wife on standby at the beach should I need to land and go, leaving her to watch the yak. Last year Tyler lent me his wheels and saved my butt since I would never have made the scales otherwise. Others may not have that kind of option.

Personally, I'd like to see all the tournaments go to a "lines in" to "lines out" approach, with a requirement that fish be radioed in, similar to many boater tournaments. Then the weigh in deadline can be relaxed to allow for plenty of time to land and get to wherever the scales are. This obviates any need to have people taking potential risks in the surf or on the roads trying to get a last minute fish in and also completely levels the playing field.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Personally, I'd like to see all the tournaments go to a "lines in" to "lines out" approach, with a requirement that fish be radioed in, similar to many boater tournaments. Then the weigh in deadline can be relaxed to allow for plenty of time to land and get to wherever the scales are. This obviates any need to have people taking potential risks in the surf or on the roads trying to get a last minute fish in and also completely levels the playing field.
I don't think there is an unfair element as everyone has to play by the same rules. I do totally understand your feelings on the subject though and your idea of doing a lines in lines out time with radio contact is great. Of course then those with out radios will say that it is unfair to them. I do like the idea though and will consider it for next year.

The reason for the Kate Sessions location is just to get us away for all the BS down at the beach. The funny thing is that we had more people come to the weigh in when we moved it than when we had it at the beach. You couldn't leave your kayak on the beach, there was not enough room at the park, with all the divers, and once you loaded your kayak on your car you lost your spot or didn't want to leave your stuff in the back of a truck in that parking lot.

I know that the idea of just putting a scale there has come up, but that would mean having to have people at two locations. We have to get the area at the park and set up, plus legally we would have to have two separate permits. It just doesn't work for us.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Of course then those with out radios will say that it is unfair to them. I do like the idea though and will consider it for next year.
How about radio or call it in via cell phone. Very few people out there with neither a radio or a cell phone. And they can have someone relay.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
cabojohn
PROBATION

cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote