Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Anthony179
A.T.

DIGITAL CAMARAS

As I look at all the pictures I noticed that most of them are pretty clear. I want to know if they are waterproof. I'm looking to buy one. Just don't know which camera would be good to get. Will anybody be selling cameras at the Fred Hall Show?
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Siebler

We had cameras last year but dont think we are this year, Ill find out though.

I have used the Pentax Optimo a lot and it is a great camera. I now have a Intova Sport 8 and love it as well. We sell the Intova cameras (its what we had at FH last year). Mission Bay is out of them but La Jolla usually has them i believe.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
WahooUSMA

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough. It shoots a very nice pic and great underwater video.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Yeah, I agree. Olympus Stylus (you can find them at Costco). Bulletproof, and they shoot great video. If there's a down-side, it's the hesitation when you when you try and capture the moment.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

this is what I picked up. still working on the editing part. it does take still pics too.
http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=33
Here is a super short clip just to give you an idea how wide of an angle it shoots. Be sure to crank up the hd res in youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpGCzttkQI
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
JoeBeck

I use an Olympus Stylus 550wp it is very tough takes good pictures and is around 150 buck. Waterproof and shockproof. You can drop it on concrete without worry, not that you would want to do that, but you can. The Canon D10 also waterproof is actually a better camera and will take better pictures. Not as tough on the shockproof side and is quite a bit more expensive. Olympus also makes the tough series in several different models, the higher end ones are pretty sweet but again a bit more pricey. When I have to replace my current camera I'll probably get the tough 8010 or the Canon D10. That said I'm still pretty happy with my Stylus 550 just wish it had a nicer lens, a bit more zoom, better focus range, and the ability to take better images in low light settings.

All things said just make sure you get a waterproof camera so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
frady

Olympus Stylus is the way to go. Shoots great underwater pictures and video.
frady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
I use an Olympus Stylus 550wp it is very tough takes good pictures and is around 150 buck. Waterproof and shockproof. You can drop it on concrete without worry, not that you would want to do that, but you can. The Canon D10 also waterproof is actually a better camera and will take better pictures. Not as tough on the shockproof side and is quite a bit more expensive. Olympus also makes the tough series in several different models, the higher end ones are pretty sweet but again a bit more pricey. When I have to replace my current camera I'll probably get the tough 8010 or the Canon D10. That said I'm still pretty happy with my Stylus 550 just wish it had a nicer lens, a bit more zoom, better focus range, and the ability to take better images in low light settings.

All things said just make sure you get a waterproof camera so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.
of the two cameras mentioned I'd buy the canon (even though I shoot Nikon). The canon can shoot at f2.8 vs. f4 for the olympus, which basically means as soon as the light is not that great it has to start bumping up the iso (film speed) which if bumped high enough will result in grainy photos.

- nic
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
yakrider

Olympus stylus...
waterproof
shockproof
lowsycameramanproof (kinda)
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
ZUMAN

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Heres a waterproof cam review.
Click on the window where it says "introduction" and it will give you a review on each cam.
Prices have dropped since this review.The canon d10 is can be found for around $249.00 now.
ZUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
dmrides

I have the Canon D10. I don't know as much about photography as Nic does, that's for sure. But I can say that it takes excellent pictures, is pretty tough and does a great job of taking pics above and below water. This is a picture I took on the morning of the Winter Solstice last year. The Jewel in all it's glory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solstice sunrise1.jpg (182.8 KB, 212 views)
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
of the two cameras mentioned I'd buy the canon (even though I shoot Nikon). The canon can shoot at f2.8 vs. f4 for the olympus, which basically means as soon as the light is not that great it has to start bumping up the iso (film speed) which if bumped high enough will result in grainy photos.

- nic
That is the exact problem I have with my Olympus. Early sunrise and later sunset pictures, and any nighttime images around the fire are grainy.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:

Just get an extended warranty. I've used the same non waterproof Nikon digital for years. Replaced it 4 times for free.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Nic D

dmrides

thats a rad photo!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Nic D

Quote:
That is the exact problem I have with my Olympus. Early sunrise and later sunset pictures, and any nighttime images around the fire are grainy.
ok, here's a trick you can use to fool your camera to some degree.

my point and shoot (p&s) is the Canon SD500, kinda gettin long in the tooth... but there is a manual mode (M) that I can set the dial to. now with canon there is a menu and a function set button, use the function set button and scroll down to the iso and set it at 50 or the lowest setting you have.

now most p&s cameras have a several settings (or scenes) under which you can shoot. my camera gives me auto, manual, and scene. any time you are in auto, its just that, now when you go to manual, you have the lowest iso setting and therefor the cleanest photos possible. if its too dark, you will notice by the duration the shutter is open for (or how long it takes to actually take the photo)... if you get a blurry photo, try turning on the flash, if flash is not an option, you can either bump up your iso or just go to auto...

- nic
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
THE DARKHORSE

So stoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
I have the Canon D10. I don't know as much about photography as Nic does, that's for sure. But I can say that it takes excellent pictures, is pretty tough and does a great job of taking pics above and below water. This is a picture I took on the morning of the Winter Solstice last year. The Jewel in all it's glory.
Attached Images

I've had that image in my head for months. I was so bummed about not taking a photo ever since. I even broke out the camera, turned it on, and pointed in that direction...then the most epic marks ran across the sonar screen. I decided to drop a jig and got slammed on the sink. If you wouldn't mind, please e-mail me a copy of that photo. I'll return the favor some day .
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
teto116

hey tamarack studios what you think about the stylus 1080 compared to the d10, would the 1080 have the same low light problem? im was thinking stylus, but now...as i too am in the market for a camera?
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...497&page=specs
teto116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teto116 View Post
hey tamarack studios what you think about the stylus 1080 compared to the d10, would the 1080 have the same low light problem? im was thinking stylus, but now...as i too am in the market for a camera?
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...497&page=specs
to be honest, all cameras digital and film cameras are susceptible to grainy photos with the lack of light.

The number that I would be paying attention to is the aperture range. The aperture is the opening of the lens which lets light in. The smaller the aperture the more light is let in. When I go to shoot weddings or events I have lenses for my nikon like f1.4, f2.0, and f2.8 The more light being let in allows you to take/make photos in lower light conditions without having to use flash.

the stylus 8010 's max aperture is 3.5 which is one stop less than the Canon d10. Now you can always set the iso and use the flash for shooting in the dark/low light.

I think both cameras will make great photos... I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other, but if I was going to buy one tomorrow, Id buy the canon though. Canon just makes fantastic p&s cameras.

- nic
Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
robmandel

I have an olympus 770SW. works great. rolled once and got sandy. kind ended up stopping working. sent it back and got it "repaired" and returned very quickly. by "repaired" I mean that I'm pretty certain I got a new camera. the old one had a scratch on the view screen that the new one didn't.

it takes pretty good pics. can't complain. and olympus has good warranty and service.

here's a pic of a sunrise from our "jewel"

my wife's a professional photographer. I know point and click. it takes nice pics.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
teto116

thanks for that info nic.
teto116 is offline   Reply With Quote