Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

Theft Prevention!

Just yesterday I had my paddle, fishing bag full of tackle and my bed extender stolen from the bed of my truck. I would love to know what precautions everyone takes to prevent theft of there equipment from the bed of your trucks.
GunRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
fishja

Don't leave it in the bed of your truck. Anything that can fit in the cab goes in the cab. If that isn't an option and you have to leave things in the bed maybe look at getting a shell or snug top. I've been gone for 2 minutes to check the surf and have had boards stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

lock it up with a cable lock.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

I agree. Out of sight out of mind. That said I've still had my rigs broken into a few times. Twice and scripps when surfing and once in Blue Lake when kayaking the Mad River. I pack light, don't leave anything in the truck. There are other methods like hitch locks, lock boxes etc. depending on where I park I'll usually chain my bed extender. A locking pin in the hitch helps, but I always keep a bike lock in the bed of my truck for: bikes, ladders, tools etc.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

I think I'm gonna invest in a topper for my truck and keep it locked. The inside of my truck is already filled with fishing poles, coolers, pfd, car seat, you name it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Quick question I just got some hully rollers for the yak trailer and thought some one could easily take these off...do you guys remove or lock em up some way
It would suck to take em off every time
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

That sucks man, some people are just A-holes... I mean what is the point of stealing a paddle? There isn't like a huge market for used kayak paddles, I'd be looking on Ebay and craigslist for your paddle to show up. Even if that guys is a kayaker, and he/she is going to use it, that is some BAD karma. That being said, when I leave my kayaks or SUP on the truck somewhere other than in front of my house I use locking straps made by Yakima, they are called Ripcord steel core straps. The steel core prevents it from being cut and the lock on the buckle wont let you loosen them. I also throw anything else inside the cab of my truck. Before I got the locking straps, I used a cable lock through the scupper holes and a U bike lock. If you post what kind of gear was stolen maybe the group can keep an eye out for it. This is BS , sorry you had to go through that, getting stuff stolen is such a violation. Not to worry, Karma will come around to that A-hole, and they'll get whats coming to them.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
Quick question I just got some hully rollers for the yak trailer and thought some one could easily take these off...do you guys remove or lock em up some way
It would suck to take em off every time
The new versions all have a open core so that you can add a yakima lock core, older versions you are out of luck. I don't have mine locked up, but then again they aren't something you can just lift out of the bed, you would have to get up into the bed and really work to get them off. If some A-hole thief has that much time and balls , a lock really isn't going to stop them from stealing. Knock on wood, but I have had at least one set of saddles and hullys on my truck for the past 9 years with out any attempted thefts, some guy tried to steal my bike off the rack during the same time but was thwarted by a Yakima lock on the rack, but he didn't try to steal my kayak racks.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
bolocop

http://bakindustries.com/

Get the BakFlip or something equivalent. You can still get in with a prybar, but if it's a deterrent from an open bed, this will do.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I just thought because it's so close to the ground someone walking by might think nice saddles and unscrew them...looks like I'll have to get creative
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

Yeah I was saying I hope their karma is a bus with no brakes. Luckily it was just a cheap Crack of dawn paddle I bought from OEX MB. The bed extender I had literally just bought from a buddy for 40 bucks two days prior. Hard to find good deals like that.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
Just yesterday I had my paddle, fishing bag full of tackle and my bed extender stolen from the bed of my truck. I would love to know what precautions everyone takes to prevent theft of there equipment from the bed of your trucks.
Can you give details of where and when this happened?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

It happened in Imperial Beach I live on Date ave. Sometime yesterday last night. I didn't notice until I got to work.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
bwana

I shove discharged red shotgun shells into the corner of my bed on each side of the tailgate between the truck bed wall and the tie down ring. Also have one on the tip of my antenna.

Anyone seeing that realizes there is a pretty big downside from stealing something from me.

Also have a STEEL tool box permanently mounted to the bed. Anything of value gets locked out of sight.

Never had anything lifted from my truck. I say Hang the Bastard when caught.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

Honestly I have no one to blame but my self. I still have that small town mind set. Being from a small mid west town in Minnesota population 1800. You never have to lock your doors. Keep forgetting I'm not in Kansas anymore. Thank you for all the advice gentlemen. This will not happen to me again if I have anything to say about it.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
ironcross6921

Quote:
Honestly I have no one to blame but my self. I still have that small town mind set. Being from a small mid west town in Minnesota population 1800. You never have to lock your doors. Keep forgetting I'm not in Kansas anymore. Thank you for all the advice gentlemen. This will not happen to me again if I have anything to say about it.
Damn that sucks, if you need it I have a HF bed extender you can have I'm not sure where your located but I'm in Fallbrook and am down in Escondido often. Just PM me if you want it.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross6921 View Post
Damn that sucks, if you need it I have a HF bed extender you can have I'm not sure where your located but I'm in Fallbrook and am down in Escondido often. Just PM me if you want it.
Wow that means alot. That's the exact kind I had to. I live in Imperial Beach, I wouldn't be able to make it to Fallbrook until next weekend, but yes I would love to take it off your hands.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
ironcross6921

Quote:
Wow that means alot. That's the exact kind I had to. I live in Imperial Beach, I wouldn't be able to make it to Fallbrook until next weekend, but yes I would love to take it off your hands.
Not a problem I can hold it to then just PM me when you can head this way and I'll make myself available.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
GunRunner
Small town Minnesota boy

I don't know what to say. You just made my day. Thank you so much.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

What a great community of kayakers we have here...that sucks about your gear man..hope the fish god's enrich you soon