Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
vellocity

10/28 am report... JUST LIKE BRAD!!! YEAH? NO!

motivation for you weekend warriors..
try your hardest to work through the morning lull..

dead ALL morning up until 11am when i see some Pelicans diving on some bait some 200yards at the far outside NW corner.. the whole inside to midway point is dead and it's the ONLY signal of action i've seen all morning so i was going to jett over there before they sunk out... i wound in my flyline mack first, then started on the 2.5oz egg sinkered one.. i always wind in with the rod tip HIGH in case of a bite on the wind in...and sure enough as i start to wind in the bait is picked up... i immediately drop the tip and freespool, the line goes flying out so i set the drag and i'm hooked up.. hung it for a good while, strong fish pulling some decent drag, i'm at 110' and a few bouys around so i turn a few clicks more on drag... i was just settling in for the battle when a few more strong head shakes and it takes off again HARD followed by an immediate pop. OUCH BIG TIME! it broke off at the hook knot!
completely my fault for being lazy and not prepared.. i hadn't fished for about 5 weeks followed by a few days of no hook ups on bait so i hadn't changed out my flouro-leaders in quite some time.. this morning i noticed a little brown coloring on the leader knot from rust stains but i figured it'll work.. yeah? NOT!

anyways, still kicking myself and 0 for 2 in the last two outings.. talk about not capitalizing on the opportunity!

i wouldn't go as far as saying they're fish out there as it was pretty dead and that was pretty dog shit luck to stop, bait sink down and get hooked up..
yes, i did yoyo again with nothing to show for it..
tried to fish the wintertime spots in hopes of fishing around the sandy squid areas but it was pretty dead out there.. birds consistently milling around but none working anything to get excited about..

like if a switch was turned on after 11am lots of pinhead anchovy bait balls at the surface, about 3 or 4 solid spots of them.. nothing driving them or balling them up.. they were just spread out all along the outside corner..

good luck
N
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
madscientist

Damn Nelz, sorry to hear that. I have made that same mistake of looking at obviously messed up leader and think "awwww...it'll hold" only to be proved wrong in the worst way. Sounds like the MO was the same today as yesterday: they pop up once and that's it. Hopefully they'll disgest all that squid over the weekend and be hungry and ready for me next week. When is your 10 day?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
vellocity

13th-23rd
so if anyone wants some fish, show up at Point Loma sportfishing the morning of Nov 23rd around 7am.. i'm sure they're be more than enough to share..
Qualifier105, bring a big cooler or heavy duty trashbags..

damn.. i even called you after i broke off.. almost left you a message as i was still wiping away the tears
Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity
13th-23rd
so if anyone wants some fish, show up at Point Loma sportfishing the morning of Nov 23rd around 7am.. i'm sure they're be more than enough to share..

damn.. i even called you after i broke off.. almost left you a message as i was still wiping away the tears
Hey Nelz, I'll definitely meet you with a cooler for a chunk or two. What do you think you'll get?

Feel free to commiserate any time.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Dennis

No worries, Nelz. When you called me on the cell, I was thinking "What did you get?" Sorry to hear about the loss. Good seeing you this morning, though.

Yeah, Nelz pretty much summed it up.
Late launch today. Got to the launch at 0700. 1-1.5ft waves, light breeze out of the east, water 62, vis 10'. I tried to make it out dry, but took one to the chest. Made it out, looking for some sort of action... Couldn't find it. No bait on the surface until about 930. But, still nothing surfaced. Landed dry in the same size surf. The launch is still messed up. When I left the beach, they ended up coning off the launch. So, driving onto the beach was a no-no... The sun burned through at 0800, making a nice it a nice day... would have been nicer with a fish.
Good luck,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
vellocity

Hey Nelz, I'll definitely meet you with a cooler for a chunk or two. What do you think you'll get?

Feel free to commiserate any time.[/quote]

yeah, i'm serious though.. any of you guys want some fish come on down and meet the boat.. my dad and i will take what we can handle then give away the rest to friends and charities... you gotta be there early though cause it's a quick and fast process of unloading the catch as it starts to thaw..

the 10day boats are gettin big YFT for the past 2 weeks...big cows biggest on this fall has been 306# on the Royal Star, each boat are averaging 9-12 over 200#.. limits of 30-40# YFT, wahoo, dorado and YT
so if all goes as planned fishing should be awesome... fingers crossed!!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Jimm H

How did the swell look?

Nelz: I'm heading out tomarrow for the first time in weeks. How was the swell? Trying to decide wether to launch the ski at the Shores (love waking up tourists in those expensive rooms at La Jolla Shores Inn) or in Mission Bay (love waking up tourists in those expensive rooms at Dana Resort).

Also, did you see any activity on the Southern end of the kelp?
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
Dr. Evil

Quote:
13th-23rd
That's totally cool of you Nelz. I may have to come down and grab a chunk or two.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Dammit Nelz! That is not the ending I was looking for, I was hoping for "my biggest yet photo" I may have to take a break from the fast paced halibut fishing next week.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
vellocity

Jimm-
the south end(Birdrock) had lots of white terns and pelicans against the end of the kelp, i just jetted through there on the way in.... i'm assuming more anchovies cause i've never seen pelicans diving on macks..
it was glassy with a little bump to it, i don't know how the beach lauch was.. beach launching solo is a big hassle and you get sand everywhere.. i'm pretty sure the whole process is much faster coming from Dana and a hell of a lot drier..
good luck tomorrow.. again, stick it out til mid day cause that's when it felt the most fishiest
and that fish bit a small spanish with a 2.5oz egg sinker.. by the time it got bit the bait was probably almost near the bottom.

Dr.Evil
yeah come on down.. no chunks though.. you gotta take 'um whole :shock:

Andy
i wish it outcome was the opposite, but it just goes to show you that being prepared is 99% of the process.. that was all MY FAULT.. i used to be so much more anal and change the leader out every 2nd trip and re-tie the hook knots after each fish.. and to be honest i decided to make it a go at 5am this morning after a wind check, i actually thought the NW was going to blow all night through the morning..

good luck weekend crew!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Dr.Evil
yeah come on down.. no chunks though.. you gotta take 'um whole :shock:
Works for me.