Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
TheUnlucky
Junior

Loading a Kayak

How do i load my kayak on to my car by myself? its the prowler 15 Car is a camry LE 2009
TheUnlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
King Saba

Do you have bars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULK7...dTr6F4CYl-BE7o

I use this method on my car minus the loading bar. A car mat or a bath rug on the roof of my car works just fine.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
Wanderingincircles
Junior

Interesting. I'm going to have to figure out he rope measurement and use this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

You can throw a furnipad over the roof and run ratchet straps through the open doors so that they hook together inside the car. Not pretty, and not ideal, but more than enough strength there. The convexity of your roof may be impacted.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
Dave Legacy

My SUV has Thule racks, but my daily driver Honda Accord does not. I got a pair of foam blocks from REI to carry the kayak on the accord if for some reason my SUV is tied up by the wife's use. Not in the least bit classy, but they work and the kayak is secure. FullFlavorPike is right though, the roof may get dented in during use. My roof has always regained it's original form, but I wouldn't use foam blocks if you care at all about your car.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
User name

I load from the trunk with the following method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SN55Jfu94c
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
steve999

Also check out the Yakima boatloader. It's a pole inside the roof top cross bar that extends out to the side of your car, so you can load from the side, one end at a time. May be better for a car that doesn't have a hatch back, or an SUV with a big spoiler on the roof like my 4Runner.

Also be aware that the side loading options are better if you parallel park, whereas the end loading options are better if you park in a lot.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
TheUnlucky
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Do you have bars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULK7...dTr6F4CYl-BE7o

I use this method on my car minus the loading bar. A car mat or a bath rug on the roof of my car works just fine.
Naked roof
TheUnlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

Add a rack to that naked roof...so you have crossbars and take your yak for a ride just like grandma.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yakrack.jpg (23.9 KB, 112 views)
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
Also check out the Yakima boatloader. It's a pole inside the roof top cross bar that extends out to the side of your car, so you can load from the side, one end at a time. May be better for a car that doesn't have a hatch back, or an SUV with a big spoiler on the roof like my 4Runner.

Also be aware that the side loading options are better if you parallel park, whereas the end loading options are better if you park in a lot.
I have Thule racks with telescopic pole inside front rack. Seems a bit weak for my outback. If anyone is using it, let me know. Hate to see my yak come crashing down on the side of my car if extension gives way.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlucky View Post
How do i load my kayak on to my car by myself? its the prowler 15 Car is a camry LE 2009
I put a floor mat on the back behind my bars I just put on, put one end on the mat, then I lift the other side and slide it on up into the saddles. Taking it down I sometimes just put in on my shoulder and walk it to where I'm setting it down.

It looks like you have a lighter kayak, and shorter car so I don't see any problems in loading it yourself. Unless you're 5'2" and 120lbs with scrawny spaghetti arms.

I got an Inno Rack from RackNRoad in Costa Mesa. It was about $350, which was about $100-150 less than Thule & Yakima. No need in spending extra money with no added benefit.

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 03-22-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlucky View Post
Naked roof
I'd opt for the bars; but then again my buddy just uses paracord and pool noodles for his prowler 13. He loads it hull facing up.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote