Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
madscientist

5/5 am

Got down to the launch at 5:00am to find some decent surf. Short period 1-2 ft with the occassional 3ft sneaker breaking out further. Saw a lull as I was finishing prep, but by the time I walked out it was pumping. Stood there for a few minutes before I finally decided to just punch out. Couple over the bow but I managed to go up an over the last troublemaker. Headed north for bait. On the way there I looked west to see a wall of water. Quick check of the depth reassured me that I was in 30ft+, but a little unsettling all the same. Registered an 11ft swing. Birds led the way to a big mac/sardine school. Dragged them around for nada except a short ling. Surf mellowed by the time I landed at 11:30. Wind was picking up.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
On the way there I looked west to see a wall of water. Quick check of the depth reassured me that I was in 30ft+, but a little unsettling all the same. Registered an 11ft swing.
When the surf's pumping it's always nice to have that little extra peace of mind from the sonar that the water's deep enough!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
mars

Too bad about the fishing...

Gotta love being able to launch through gravy surf during a solid swell any time of the year and be within a 20 minute paddle of a world class fishery. Or just grabbing the board and hitting Blacks…. SoCal is the bomb - wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Thinking of hitting LJ manana but it’s currently closing on 7:00pm and the wind is still howling in Encinitas (just like it was at 6:00am this morning).

Might sleep in….hmmm……

-kvn