Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
danny
Danny

Thresher shark

I was rock fishing or that is what I thought i was doing. Then this pup starts ripping line and jumps out of the water 3 ft. Then the wine went slack I thought I lost him and then I see he is going right at me and jumps again. I was going to catch and release till he slapped me in the face with his tail, at that point I decided we were having BBQ shark.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
krmaxima

haha NICE fish
Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
old_rookie

Cool. What were the conditions out there?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Cool. What were the conditions out there?
it was nice, I was only out for an hour. I think I will go fish on the beach for a wile.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Jzo

Congrats.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
dfroggy54
Rolly

hahah! thats a nice pic with the kid.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
RoeBoat

Congrats. The babies are yummy.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoat View Post
Congrats. The babies are yummy.
it is not that small i am just real big.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Nic D

couldn't have been more than 15-20 but Im not going to tell you what to kill and what to release.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
tony

That's the first Native Water Craft I've seen out this way..rare out here but big in Florida and Gulf coast..whats the story on that yak? Do you like it?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
That's the first Native Water Craft I've seen out this way..rare out here but big in Florida and Gulf coast..whats the story on that yak? Do you like it?
it works for me, I have a full size ice chest and all kinds of stuff on it. you can't flip it.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
ryan111

way to go:you_roc k:
Old 10-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Riskey Water

Slapped You in the face ,I guess You taught him a lesson .MMMMMM thresher shark ,good job ,good eats
Old 10-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
mckenzie

No, this is not right, it's crazy! How the hell did you keep a baby like that? This gives all of us a bad name, I don't care if he slapped you in the face, so what?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
drunkenmaster

Talking bahahahhahhah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
it is not that small i am just real big.

your to funny man.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
Gino

Hey you didnt keep a big breeder. As long as they are around there will be plenty of babies.

Good for you, Ive persoanlly had to gut and steak a 170lbs Shortstack caught from his kayak. Took us a very long time to fit it all into ziplock bags. Its alot of work. I wouldnt want to do it again. Keeping a smaller one wont hurt anything.

Haters gon hate
Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Ive persoanlly had to gut and steak a 170lbs Shortstack caught from his kayak. Took us a very long time to fit it all into ziplock bags. Its alot of work. I wouldnt want to do it again.

I hear that.. Do they even make a ziplock this big?

Tsharks in So Cal generally fall into either the sub adult category under 200 pounds and adults over 200. The subs hold tight to shore, school up and are super easy to target. The adults migrate up the coast further offshore, move in smaller groups and are a lot harder to find and target.

Back in the 90s T shark populations were in trouble because the gillnetters were wiping then out. A large one like the one in my pic above were and extremely rare catch back then because few were making it to adulthood.

They were targeting the subadults tight to shore with their nets and nailing them in huge numbers. So the DFG made them move their nets out to three miles, and since then we have had an huge increase in Tshark population number. Now catches like the one in my pic above are now common place, which shows clearly that protecting pups benefits the population as a whole..

The obvious conclusion is that if you protect the sub-adult pups from over exploitation you not only end up with more breeding adults, but the population numbers increase across the board. What I'm saying here is the old save the breeder argument is BS. You get more benefit from releasing pups then protecting breeders.

These sharks have no natural predators other then man, possibly white sharks, and killer whales, and whites and killers though they can eat them hardly ever do.

There is no reason that this shark:

Wouldn't grow up into one of these if released...
.....and eventually get much bigger then that.

That second shark may look big, but that male is just reaching breeding age kind of the equivalent in biology of a 10 inch Calico. I wouldn't of even taken it if it had not died on the line, as it cut my total T season that year down to thirty minutes.. (I only keep one a year)

We live in a shark nursery so we have an abundance of small easy to target sub-adult sharks both Mako and threshers. Pretty much every other fish we fish for has a size limit, most states have size limits on their sharks, but California does not.

Something like 95% of the sharks taken by recreational fishery in So.Cal are not of breeding age. If that was the case for Seabass, Calicos, Halibut or any other fish the DFG would instantly stop it. The only reason they do not when it comes to sharks is the commercial and business interests have lobbied to keep the pup fishery open. The commercials still target pups, even if they now have to do it further offshore and they do not want the pup shark fishery closed down.

Imagine if we lived in a Marlin Nursery with an abundance of baby Marlin, would it make sense to take twenty or thirty pound Marlin and only release the adults? Of course it wouldn't. We are sport fisherman and we would know enough to protect our Marlin for the trophy big game fishery they supply as adults.

Over the years a lot of misinformation has been pushed around on this subject. By a lot of self proclaimed Gurus. I'm no Guru... I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can not do. The catch above is legal no doubt but I will say that if the DFG is not going to regulate us properly, I think then we need to regulate ourselves.

When people ask me about fishing Tsharks: I tell them to only target sharks over 200 pounds, and to only keep the ones that die on the line. Big T's over 200 often will fight so hard they kill themselves in the process. Unlike pups that do not fight as hard, and release well, the adults will literally just beat themselves to death. That big shark above at one point jumped three body lengths through the air, and also sounded at one point 1200 feet straight down. Nothing local fights as hard as an adult T shark, they are unbelievable fighters when they get big. Unfortunately that means they do die often on the line. So if you fish for them you not only need the right gear but you better have freezer space. Like I said I only take one a year, and once I get that one, I quit fishing for them. Which has lead to some pretty short seasons for me, but that is all part of the game.

A 200+ T shark is the hardest fighting fish we have off Southern California, they fight much harder when they are big and muscled up then when they are juveniles and a big T easily outfights a Marlin of the same size. Archer says the only fish that outfights them as adults are Giant Bluefin. I've never caught a Giant Bluefin but I'd be inclined to agree with him on that one.

These are southern California's true Big Game Trophy Fish, my take is to let them go and target them when they are big enough to put on the real show.

Just my take though.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Gino

I get your point Jim. Kayakers arent catching full sized Adults. There take of the pups i think is largely minimal.

Protecting the Breeders is still a Valid Arguement. When 1 end of the life stage is being whiped out completely your going to see a drastic reduction in numbers.
Common Ts have a gestation period of 9 months, just like us. Which means the probebly dont breed every year. But I'm interested to know how many pups were inside some of those 4-500lb females these boaters are taking. This is an animal that has an average of 2-4 pups a litter. The bigger the female they have a higher chance to have more (6).

But if you target those biguns after the general spawn season ends. Theres case for your arguement. Boater take of the biguns I doubt is whiping them out either.

I could name a couple kayak people though who are really abusing the thresher fishery.

Last edited by Gino; 10-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I hear that.. Do they even make a ziplock this big?

Tsharks in So Cal generally fall into either the sub adult category under 200 pounds and adults over 200. The subs hold tight to shore, school up and are super easy to target. The adults migrate up the coast further offshore, move in smaller groups and are a lot harder to find and target.

Back in the 90s T shark populations were in trouble because the gillnetters were wiping then out. A large one like the one in my pic above were and extremely rare catch back then because few were making it to adulthood.

They were targeting the subadults tight to shore with their nets and nailing them in huge numbers. So the DFG made them move their nets out to three miles, and since then we have had an huge increase in Tshark population number. Now catches like the one in my pic above are now common place, which shows clearly that protecting pups benefits the population as a whole..

The obvious conclusion is that if you protect the sub-adult pups from over exploitation you not only end up with more breeding adults, but the population numbers increase across the board. What I'm saying here is the old save the breeder argument is BS. You get more benefit from releasing pups then protecting breeders.

These sharks have no natural predators other then man, possibly white sharks, and killer whales, and whites and killers though they can eat them hardly ever do.

There is no reason that this shark:

Wouldn't grow up into one of these if released...
.....and eventually get much bigger then that.

That second shark may look big, but that male is just reaching breeding age kind of the equivalent in biology of a 10 inch Calico. I wouldn't of even taken it if it had not died on the line, as it cut my total T season that year down to thirty minutes.. (I only keep one a year)

We live in a shark nursery so we have an abundance of small easy to target sub-adult sharks both Mako and threshers. Pretty much every other fish we fish for has a size limit, most states have size limits on their sharks, but California does not.

Something like 95% of the sharks taken by recreational fishery in So.Cal are not of breeding age. If that was the case for Seabass, Calicos, Halibut or any other fish the DFG would instantly stop it. The only reason they do not when it comes to sharks is the commercial and business interests have lobbied to keep the pup fishery open. The commercials still target pups, even if they now have to do it further offshore and they do not want the pup shark fishery closed down.

Imagine if we lived in a Marlin Nursery with an abundance of baby Marlin, would it make sense to take twenty or thirty pound Marlin and only release the adults? Of course it wouldn't. We are sport fisherman and we would know enough to protect our Marlin for the trophy big game fishery they supply as adults.

Over the years a lot of misinformation has been pushed around on this subject. By a lot of self proclaimed Gurus. I'm no Guru... I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can not do. The catch above is legal no doubt but I will say that if the DFG is not going to regulate us properly, I think then we need to regulate ourselves.

When people ask me about fishing Tsharks: I tell them to only target sharks over 200 pounds, and to only keep the ones that die on the line. Big T's over 200 often will fight so hard they kill themselves in the process. Unlike pups that do not fight as hard, and release well, the adults will literally just beat themselves to death. That big shark above at one point jumped three body lengths through the air, and also sounded at one point 1200 feet straight down. Nothing local fights as hard as an adult T shark, they are unbelievable fighters when they get big. Unfortunately that means they do die often on the line. So if you fish for them you not only need the right gear but you better have freezer space. Like I said I only take one a year, and once I get that one, I quit fishing for them. Which has lead to some pretty short seasons for me, but that is all part of the game.

A 200+ T shark is the hardest fighting fish we have off Southern California, they fight much harder when they are big and muscled up then when they are juveniles and a big T easily outfights a Marlin of the same size. Archer says the only fish that outfights them as adults are Giant Bluefin. I've never caught a Giant Bluefin but I'd be inclined to agree with him on that one.

These are southern California's true Big Game Trophy Fish, my take is to let them go and target them when they are big enough to put on the real show.

Just my take though.

Jim
that is not a knife this is a knife.
That is one monster shark, I think i will take one pup a year the older ones have more mercury. The way that one fought was about all i can handle on a kayak for now so I will stick to the babies.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
that is not a knife this is a knife.
That is one monster shark, I think i will take one pup a year the older ones have more mercury. The way that one fought was about all i can handle on a kayak for now so I will stick to the babies.
Wow...I was gonna keep my trap shut until I read that last comment.

I'll prob get riled for this, oh well. He was a pup...you didn't get tail slapped, you got beyotch slapped, after all, he was only a pup.

Not gonna get into a battle over what is too big of a thresher to take or what is too small, reproductive cycle, season, take per year, etc. but that is a pup and in my eyes should've been released.

If that was all you could handle, then release him and know ya got some experience under your belt, ready for a bigger model.

Showed that to my Son, his exact comment was, "What? That shouldn't even be legal. Are you kidding me?" I wouldn't let him keep one that size, seems he wouldn't either.

Just my opinion...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Closed Thread