Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
TypeSH
Junior

King Harbor Marina - where to launch?

Hi,

Looking to do some paddling this weekend and wet the lines. Been on haitus due to a newborn I was thinking of heading towards King Harbor Marina, but have never been there before. Is it ok to launch a kayak from the marina? Where is the closest launch area in the marina?

Thanks in advance! Tight lines.
Sam
TypeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
tagyak

i think the address is 171-399 n. harbor dr, redondo bch, 90277. there are several restaurants in that area. you can park in the lot there.

there is a restaurant called "Polly's on the Pier"; facing the ocean from the parking lot, go RIGHT past the pier down a paved road. you'll come to a simi launch ramp/dock. you can use that to launch your kayak. you'll need to slide it across the dock to get it into the water.

there really isn't any beach to launch from. make sure that your yak isn't too overloaded b/c it is a bit scary if you haven't done this before.

here is a map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=233+N+...ed=0CBMQ8gEwAA
from the map you can zoom in and see Polly's and the small dock area that i had mentioned.

good luck
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
TypeSH
Junior

Thanks for the info.

It'll be good to be on the water. I'll most likely be out there with a buddy on Sunday morning.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Are you talking about this launch???

wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
StinkyMatt

Wiredantz. The Little dock that Tagyak is talking about is another 100 yds further down that little path. Keep going down the path and you can't miss it.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
TypeSH
Junior

I think he means this dock

Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Wiredantz. The Little dock that Tagyak is talking about is another 100 yds further down that little path. Keep going down the path and you can't miss it.
That's correct.....those two launch look-a-likes are actually water inlets/outlets. However, the hand launch dock is closed and will remain closed until March 2011.

No worries......before you get to the launch you'll see a small asphalted path between the rocks that leads down to the water, you can launch from there but you'll have to get you're yak down there first. It's not impossible to do but remember that you will be launching near fully exposed and some submerged rocks. GOOD LUCK.

P.S. Parking is $4
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
GregAndrew

On the other end of the parking lot from Pollys, there is a boat hoist where you can launch from their ramp. Write "kayak launch" on your parking ticket for $4 for the first 8 hours.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
On the other end of the parking lot from Pollys, there is a boat hoist where you can launch from their ramp. Write "kayak launch" on your parking ticket for $4 for the first 8 hours.
Do you launch from a dock or from an actual launch?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
wiredantz

Launch in Marina Del Rey so Easy. Park in green launch @ red

Old 01-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSH View Post
I think he means this dock

I can totally see myself hauling my kayak on my wheeleez, and the kayak rolling over me as i scrape myself rolling down the hill.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Do you launch from a dock or from an actual launch?

Dock... Everyone uses the dock it's what it's there for. Sometimes they pull the dock out for part of the winter then you can launch from the path that is next to the dock.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I can totally see myself hauling my kayak on my wheeleez, and the kayak rolling over me as i scrape myself rolling down the hill.

It only looks steep because your looking at an extreme low tide in that picture. It's the easiest launch in the LA Area. Good fishing if you know where to fish.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Like Jim said, it looks tricky but its pretty easy, especially at low tide, as pictured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Dock... Everyone uses the dock it's what it's there for. Sometimes they pull the dock out for part of the winter then you can launch from the path that is next to the dock.

Jim
I've launched from the hand launch dock a few times now so I know how that one works with or without the dock in place. My question was regarding the area where the boat cranes are at, do you launch from a floating dock or from an actual launch in this area? Only reason I ask is so that I'm not walking around for 10min looking for the thing.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
wiseguy

went there 2 weeks ago and the dock was not there. Ended up fishing Cabrillo instead.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
My question was regarding the area where the boat cranes are at, do you launch from a floating dock or from an actual launch in this area? Only reason I ask is so that I'm not walking around for 10min looking for the thing.
I've only used it a few times but we just carried my yak down the plank on to the dock and I launched off the dock over by the end. If there is lots of boats there you can put your kayak on the inside of the dock then paddle around the end to get out.

Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
went there 2 weeks ago and the dock was not there. Ended up fishing Cabrillo instead.
Hadn't heard but they do take it out for the winter. You can still launch there at low tide if the sand is up high enough, but you can also launch at the boat sling dock.

Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Hadn't heard but they do take it out for the winter. You can still launch there at low tide if the sand is up high enough, but you can also launch at the boat sling dock.

Jim

Jim at Redondo Beach do you buy your bait there or you go find it?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Jim at Redondo Beach do you buy your bait there or you go find it?

Both..

Used to be the bait always sucked and they were never there early.

I hear Larry Derr (In-siene bait)has taken it over so they should now have good bait, but I'm not sure when it's open.

In the past if they were open I would always buy bait if I was fishing halibut. If they were closed I'd make bait.

You can make bait with Sabikis there. I've made bait right next to the receiver many times on sabikis or just pieces of squid, if you want to make a ton of bait fast bring a can of catfood and chum with it next to the receiver. You can also make bait outside on marks between the red buoy and the north edge of the canyon, and make smelt right in the harbor.

There can be really good fishing around there at times. I've caught big halibut there, Seabass, yellows and T sharks, Mako sharks even believe it or not Dorado all within paddling distance from that harbor.

Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
wiredantz

I thought Larry was in In Siene Bait at MDR. I need to go down to MDR and check it out.

Thanks Jim