Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
makoslayer

New Guy

Hey all Im new here. Im originally from So Cal (La Verne) but the Navy has led me to the east coast and so im here until i get orders to San Diego (Cross fingers). Anyway Im gonna be roaming these boards to hopefully get some info on targeting the pacific fish so i will be ready when I come home. While I am here I will update on what i am doing out here and how the fishing is. If you want check out my blog that I will be updating every week or so. Thanks and hope to catch you out on the water when I get back!

makoslayer.blogpsot.com

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

welcome! i hear about the east coast getting big stripers in the surfline. which part of the east coast are you at?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
PE.rider

Welcome.

I've done a bit of yakking back East... You've got some nice stretches to keep you occupied until you get a transfer.

If you indicate your berth, maybe I can recommend some good areas...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
makoslayer

Im out in Norfolk. I hit Rudee, Virginia Beach and HRBT. Im hoping to go down south to Hatteras sometime.

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Oxbeast1210

Where are you going to be working in
San diego?
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
taggermike

Nice blog. I was born and raised in SD and love it but I spent a year on the very south end of Roanoke Island. I miss that shallow water fishing. Reds, trout, flounder, sheephead, blues, stripers, Spanish macks- those were all fun fish. Continue the fine fishing when you get back to Cali. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
fish-on
Junior

Have fun in Virginia. I just left Virginia and miss it quite a bit already. Definitely a different setting with different species of fish coming and going throughout the seasons even in the middle of winter.....
Stripers under bridges are your best pick for big fish. If you miss SD style of fishing a lot, try flylining croakers on a size 6/0 -8/0 hooks (make sure to give them a loooooot of time to take these huge bait in) next to structures/bridges right before dusk until dark, you will be surprised how many of those monsters you're going to hook up. Take note I mentioned hook up. My hook up to land ratio is about 10 to1. Fishing that close to structure while the current and waves try to slam your yak against it and the fish trying to tow you right in the middle of the pilings while you frantically try to go on reverse with your paddle under your armpit and with one hand, your odds are not too good to say the least. Great time fishing though.....

Another plus is the school of giant red fish (starting about now) on the Eastern shores and Fisherman's island right by the breaking waves, You will have your hands full with this one too.

One thing I can say though is you won't do a whole lot of surf launchings there. Most launches there are on protected waters.

By the way the flounder fishing is incredible. Fish any lure- just as long as it is a chartreuse curly tail GULP minnow on a 3/8-1/2 oz jig head. It's like "fish crack" for those fishies. They can't leave that stuff alone...

Tight lines

John

Last edited by fish-on; 05-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.
fish-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
PE.rider

You've got some nice fishing territory there... Most of the areas near the mouth of the Chesapeake are prime areas for Flounder, Sea Trout and Rockfish.

You are also a stone's throw from some nice river fishing, and if you drive to your neighboring state, a good area by the Oregon Inlet near Nag's Head, NC.

I miss the fishing down there, as I would go duck hunting and then fish the estuaries when I'm in town visiting my cousin...

Do send some nice pics of the catches out there...

Good Luck!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote