Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Dave Legacy

Transporting: Bow/Stern Line A Must?

Hey all,

Just got my first kayak and still getting used to hauling it around on the roof of my SUV. I'm using a pair of Thule 883 Glide & Set saddles and tie-downs thread through one of the side carrying handles to hopefully not allow sliding.

My question is how important is it to tie down the bow or stern during transit? I'm traveling 30-60mi one way. I've driven around both ways and I didn't experience much difference in either scenario. I want to be safe, especially for others, but my front tie-down point isn't all that easy to get to. I'll use it if I must. Just looking for some experienced insight.

Best regards,

Dave
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
fishnfoool

Better safe than sorry

I tie the bow and stern just in case I have to brake real hard. I do not want the kayak to fly and hurt/kill someone else.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
DanaPT

I do not have bow and stern straps. Just two straps on crossbars.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

Pretty even split so far; I figured this is how it would go. Being laced through a side carry handle has given me the feeling that it won't slide, but I guess that depends on how much force the handle can take before it gives out. I found the bow was a little more stable with a bow line than without.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
T-Rex

I always tie down the bow. Driving back from the Sierra's in a wind storm a couple of years ago I had a J-Bar break and the bow line kept the kayak in place until I could pull over.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

If there is no problem, then there is no problem and nothing matters. If there is a problem, you would have wished you tied things more securely.

If it's easy to do, why not? Aerodynamics working against you can have a surprising amount of force as your speed accelerates.

Backups are always good if the primary system fails.

If you have the choice, leash it to something other than the rack.

When in doubt, common sense is a good thing.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-16-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Mahigeer

I am for tie down. The wind force can lift the kayak, at least damage your roof, but who knows what else can happen.fficeffice" />>>
>>
These are easily made and work great.>>
>>
>>
This style prevents blocking the view.>>
>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Dave Legacy

I'm pretty well convinced to go with the bow and stern line. My front and rear tie-down points are behind plastic panels, not a big deal. Worth it to avoid injury!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
FISH11

For the last 3 years I have carried my 14.4 foot Malibu X Factor on the roof rack of my Jeep grand Cherokee. I use the factory roof rack and crossbars and installed some kayak saddles on the crossbars. I put the cross bars as far front and back as they will go. I do not use a bow or stern line, only ratchet tie downs over the kayak at the cross bars. I have driven up to 90 mph (ohhpps, I thing that was speeding) and usually drive 70 mph on the freeway. I have never had a problem even on a trip to the sierras on over 950 miles. If your car is smaller and the distance between the crossbars is less than 4 feet than use the bow and stern lines on kayaks that are over 12 feet long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0329.jpg (69.6 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 08-16-2015 at 07:55 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Better safe than sorry, for those who have never had an issue, great, but there may come a time where you may, is it worth the risk of injuring yourself or someone else not to secure the bow or stern? Less than 5 minutes to secure. I for sure secure the bow and stern.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote