Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Murray

App For Navigation For Smart Phone

Finally got a smart phone and want to download an app that will help me on the water. Would like to be able to put in way pts and be able to navigate to that position. Would also be nice to be able to identify la jolla marine reserve boundaries after entering coordinates. Has to be easy to use.......I am an old guy. Big letters and numbers are also a good thing
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
summers in kuwait

I use navionics and like it, but it drains the battery fast on my older iPhone. I can mark spots as needed and use it as a back up to my compass when navigating through the fog.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
HobieScot

I use Navionics as well. You can download the app for free and have access to most features or pay the extra $10 and get the full version

This is what it looks like. It will show your routes, track the distance, and speed and show how many miles you have covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
HobieScot

As summers in Kuwait mentioned it does run your battery down. As you can see from the pic I had it running for 4 and a half hours and it ran my battery down pretty low.

If you plan to use this regularly I would just buy one of those $10-$15 back up battery packs at target or walmart and keep that with you on the kayak just in case

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Murray

Thanks guys for the help. Can the app do the following?

Would like to be able to put in way pts and be able to navigate to that position. Would also be nice to be able to identify la jolla marine reserve boundaries after entering coordinates.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

Navionics. Best $10 I ever spent

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
HobieScot

Yes you can put it way points

For the reserve I use another app called fishalerts which shows you the marine protected waters and will show you when you are safely out of them. You can also click on the different MLPA zones and it will tell you what is and is not allowed. It also has the DFG regs for California on it as well but as someone else pointed out on here do not trust the reg portion as some of the species are out of date.

This is what the fishalerts app looks like

Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
2-Stix

Great info...this board is a wealth of knowledge. Terrible for getting sleep.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Murray

Hobie Scot,

Just the info I was looking for. Now all I need is a waterproof case for my galaxy s3 and I am good to go. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 AM   #10
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Hobie Scot,

Just the info I was looking for. Now all I need is a waterproof case for my galaxy s3 and I am good to go. Thanks again.
Here is the one I purchased off eBay. Super cheap and I've purposely dunked my phone in numerous times to make sure its water tight. It fits my nexus 6 (the biggest phone on the market) and it work out great. For your s3 it should do just fine and both the front and back camera should be able to snap photos.

But it doesn't float like the description says so don't try testing that feature out at all.
supaboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:12 AM   #11
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Hobie Scot,

I have used the lifeproof case for my last two phones and they have worked great. I even used it in Hawaii while snorkeling to take pictures under water