Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
Whiteboy

How many today

Just kinda of curious how many fish we are actually taking from LA jolla. How many have you caught this season? Between me and my buddies we have caught over 25 since the 18th of July. (My first trip out in la jolla ever) I now have 18 I've caught in 8 trips. What about everyone else?
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Dannowar

Kinda glad you discovered la jolla during the best year in 20 eh?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Sounds like it's time for you to go into catch and release mode.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Whiteboy

I am trying to catch one or two a trip but last two times I kept my two. Waiting for buddies to catch theirs and I get other. The other day I wanted 2 got them. They were 20 and 25 lbs. Then I caught a 30+ being the biggest fish I've ever caught I wasn't letting him go. Then it happened again another larger yellowtail. 43 and 45 inches. I just stopped fishing after that but sitting on water watching people fish isn't easy to do. I have been pratcing hand catching them. The last 12 I've caught without gaff. Almost good enough to c&r. No point in releasing a bleeding fish.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Murray

No luck outside yesterday. Should have stayed inside with you guys. Felt pretty quiet outside with little signs of fish. I am 3 for 5 trips but will be out next week ready to reload the fridg. Just finished Tuesday's catch so will need to get with it early next week. Takes me a day or two to recover. Like fishing mid week. Lots of cars etc at launch when returning yesterday. Backed in again and happy to report all went well. If you are having problems landing, give it a try. Just be sure to keep bow into waves and all should be good. Got a little sideways yesterday but paddled hard to correct and good to go.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
taggermike

I've caught 8 yt in LJ this year. Kept 6 n released 2. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Buy a pressure cooker and start canning that's what I do
Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
I am trying to catch one or two a trip but last two times I kept my two. Waiting for buddies to catch theirs and I get other. The other day I wanted 2 got them. They were 20 and 25 lbs. Then I caught a 30+ being the biggest fish I've ever caught I wasn't letting him go. Then it happened again another larger yellowtail. 43 and 45 inches. I just stopped fishing after that but sitting on water watching people fish isn't easy to do. I have been pratcing hand catching them. The last 12 I've caught without gaff. Almost good enough to c&r. No point in releasing a bleeding fish.
I beg to differ. Fish are quite resilient and able to recover from most injuries, including severe injuries such as shark bites, missed gaffs, missed speargun shots, etc.

In New Zealand there is a tag and release program for yellowtail, or king fish as they call them down there. To tag the fish they gaff it, bring it on board, insert a plastic tag, then release the fish. Lots of these fish are then re-caught months to years later after completely recovering from being gaffed and tagged.....

Yellowtail are a very tough fish. I'm sure most "bleeding" yellows would recover and survive if released. Just make sure you don't release a tired yellowtail when there is a dog around....

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
My buddy Ross down in Asuncion has had a great year, I am sure he has released over 100 Yellows over 15 pounds this year and all caught on the iron... He did however keep 3 or 4 for the dinner table. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Whiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
I beg to differ. Fish are quite resilient and able to recover from most injuries, including severe injuries such as shark bites, missed gaffs, missed speargun shots, etc.

In New Zealand there is a tag and release program for yellowtail, or king fish as they call them down there. To tag the fish they gaff it, bring it on board, insert a plastic tag, then release the fish. Lots of these fish are then re-caught months to years later after completely recovering from being gaffed and tagged.....

Yellowtail are a very tough fish. I'm sure most "bleeding" yellows would recover and survive if released. Just make sure you don't release a tired yellowtail when there is a dog around....
There's always dogs around. As far as catch and release goes who is conducting this study I'd love to read it. I find it hard to believe that they have a high survival rate. I have only caught one with physical damage and have seen and caught a lot of fish Lately. I'd say over 100 from LA jolla alone. Only one was injured and that I think was done when sea dog grabbed my fish. Got him back somehow with 4 gashes. So as far as resiliency I would have to see the study myself before I believe it. And my hand is competely rashed up from hand landing these fish the last few trips. It's not an easy idea getting them in fast without wearing them out too bad and getting the hook out without killing them. But I will be releasing anything under 30 lbs from now on. Unless I'm out at home.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Whiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
No luck outside yesterday. Should have stayed inside with you guys. Felt pretty quiet outside with little signs of fish. I am 3 for 5 trips but will be out next week ready to reload the fridg. Just finished Tuesday's catch so will need to get with it early next week. Takes me a day or two to recover. Like fishing mid week. Lots of cars etc at launch when returning yesterday. Backed in again and happy to report all went well. If you are having problems landing, give it a try. Just be sure to keep bow into waves and all should be good. Got a little sideways yesterday but paddled hard to correct and good to go.
Your always welcome to stick with us. We ended up on a hot spot. 77 degrees and tuna within a mile of shore. Saw them yesterday. Dolphins in hot pursuit.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
yemff

Zero
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
surfisher

Well, I have caught and released almost all of my yellows this year, I've only kept 2 out of the 15 or so I have gotten this summer. I can definitely say it IS an easy task. The yellows shake their head a little but you can grab them out of the water, get a photo, remove the hook and have them back in the water in less than a minute. When releasing, hold them by the tail and get some water back through the gills and give them a solid push down and off they go with a strong swim back to where they came.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Quote:
There's always dogs around. As far as catch and release goes who is conducting this study I'd love to read it. I find it hard to believe that they have a high survival rate. I have only caught one with physical damage and have seen and caught a lot of fish Lately. I'd say over 100 from LA jolla alone. Only one was injured and that I think was done when sea dog grabbed my fish. Got him back somehow with 4 gashes. So as far as resiliency I would have to see the study myself before I believe it. And my hand is competely rashed up from hand landing these fish the last few trips. It's not an easy idea getting them in fast without wearing them out too bad and getting the hook out without killing them. But I will be releasing anything under 30 lbs from now on. Unless I'm out at home.
Just something for you to gnaw on, since obviously you live on YT alone. Dos Ballenas is a YT genetics researcher for Scripps Institute (or something to that effect). He has caught more YT than you have probably ever imagined. I am guessing that his release rate is probably around 99%? If he says something about YT (even the Australian breed), then you can pretty much take it to the bank.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
Sdspeed

WHITEBOY, Start posting some pics of your adventures!
Or your dreams?

Last edited by Sdspeed; 08-16-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:

Let's do the math

You say you've caught over 100 YT this year, we're right around the 33rd week of the year so this means you would have to have fished almost every weekend and have caught an average of 3 fish per trip just in La Jolla........

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Everybody knows released yellowtail die....

Everybody knows yellowtail die if released...

Here's the proof....this yellowtail was released with no more than a hook in it, and it ended up washing ashore at La Jolla earlier this summer.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #18
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Let's do the math

You say you've caught over 100 YT this year, we're right around the 33rd week of the year so this means you would have to have fished almost every weekend and have caught an average of 3 fish per trip just in La Jolla........
He said he has seen or caught over 100 YT not caught them all.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
Murray

For those who c and r great. For those who catch and eat great. Both have an opinion that is to be respected. Personally, I love seafood and can eat one fish a week. If I want to bless some family and friends, I will harvest one or two additional. Just sayin..........
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #20
RobFish
Massive Member

1 yellowtail caught this year in LJ, as I haven't really been fishing LJ this year, maybe been out there twice.
We did however put 4 YFT on the boat yesterday, about 12 miles W from LJ.
Hey DosB…I've got a yellowtail sample for you as well. I'll give you a call on your personal line to add this one to your studies. Talk soon.