Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Scubasteve382
Junior

Alamitos Bay 4/6

Headed out today for my maiden voyage. Launched today around 12:30 at Mother's Beach. Messed around until 4:30. Paddled around the bay and headed towards Ballast Point. Made a few stops to get the lines wet. Was tossing out ghost shrimp on a Carolina rig. Managed a smelt and a fish that I can not identify. See photo. Being my first time fishing from a kayak, I have much to learn!

*learn all features of the fish finder and how to properly read them
*need to tie kayak down to cart as it fell off once I hit the beach, had to drag the yak in the sand to the water
*take shorter rods 8ft+ seems to be a little long
*better maneuverability and knowing which side to fish from
*the seat kept slipping down
*research different lure and bait options that are successful, used ghost shrimp and a luckycraft flash minnow today
*kept getting tangled up in the rod/paddle leashes

Minus a little surf fishing I know very little about fishing the bay as I am used to jumping on cattle boats.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Scubasteve382; 04-08-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Photo issues
Scubasteve382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Keep at it! More time on the water is all you need. I believe that is a Rock Wrasse, very cool!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve382 View Post
Headed out today for my maiden voyage. Launched today around 12:30 at Mother's Beach. Messed around until 4:30. Paddled around the bay and headed towards Ballast Point. Made a few stops to get the lines wet. Was tossing out ghost shrimp on a Carolina rig. Managed a smelt and a fish that I can not identify. See photo. Being my first time fishing from a kayak, I have much to learn!

no picture, try it again please
Old 04-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Btmfeder
Junior

I've spent way too much time fishing Alamitos Bay and have found it tougher fishing over the last couple years for some reason but here's what I've found: For launching, I would suggest going over to the peninsula by the gondolas. There's a great washdown area and you can usually park free on the street. No cart needed. For tackle, I always get bit more using lighter stuff so I'll trade the occasional break off for a little more action. I use a 6-1/2' medium spinning rod with 8# and usually throw small Big Hammers or grubs on 1/4" football jigs. I throw those around the docks and fish pretty slow. I've never used bait in there so I can't speak to that. Like all bays, it seems to be best when there's water moving and in lower light. Never been hassled for being out there without lights if I stay out of the middle of the main bay so it's a great spot to fish for a few hours after work with easy access. It would be nice to see it get a little more fishy, though.
Btmfeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
bwana

It is all about deck management and preparation prior to launch.

You are smart to start on calm inside waters to get familar.

Being able to beach yourself quickly when needed is a good plus while learning and adjusting your gear.

It won't be long before you are venturing out to the other side of big water's edge.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
FullFlavorPike

The photo of the un-IDed fish isn't showing up, so I am going to take a wild stab in the dark: white croaker?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Scubasteve382
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
The photo of the un-IDed fish isn't showing up, so I am going to take a wild stab in the dark: white croaker?
Fixed
Scubasteve382 is offline   Reply With Quote