Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
tthor
Junior

Tough weekend in La Jolla

After hearing reports all week of the bite in La Jolla, I was finally able to get out on Friday. I got out to the light boats around 4:45 and had no luck jigging squid so around 5:45 I moved out to start fishing with the fresh dead I got from some friends that were out on Wednesday. It seemed like the number of light and squid boats was light compared to reports earlier in the week, lots of kayaks and pvt boats out though. It was a slow morning with no signs of life except the tool on the light boat Integrity out of his gourd yelling and going off then making a drive through of the fleet in his dingy. Finally around 7:30 I get my chance and I am hung solid. Unfortunately I get busted off and that was it for me. I stayed out till around 10:00 and for the morning I saw four really nice yellows landed and a number of blacks released. Still kicking myself about the lose, I surfed Blacks Saturday morning and noticed that there was still some light and squid boats still out so decided to give it another go on Sunday. The squid were up around the Ultra but I had no luck with jigging, the squid would just scatter away from my squid jig so the guys on the Ultra filled my tank for $5. I moved out and started fishing around 6:00 and fished till 9:00 for nada. All I saw hooked were blacks. Congrat’s to all that got in on the bite, there were some incredibly nice fish caught last week.

Tom
tthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
B Slate

Thanks for the report
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
dorf

Thanks for the report.
Name:  Never Give up 4.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  53.5 KB
Is it me or are there a lot more BSB being caught this year?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
ratdog

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Thanks for the report.
Attachment 1031
Is it me or are there a lot more BSB being caught this year?
It's not you, I caught 3 last week, unfortunatley I was messing with them when everyone else was "ON".
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
PB fisher
feeesh

at least you got bit- I got nada for 3 hours Sunday AM...
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Dan W.

I logged 8 1/2 hrs on Sunday with live squirts for nada. The squid were there and the poles were bendo and I thought it was on for sure. Found out later that most of them were blacks with a few yellows in the mix. It sure was exciting when the bite was on. That's the luck of the draw. We'll get 'em next time!

Last edited by Dan W.; 03-02-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Dan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
PB fisher
feeesh

Tom-

what type of line were you using that broke off?
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
tthor
Junior

I was using 30lb. Big Game. I think it was more operator error than the line. I did a couple of things that in looking back I will not do again. I waited until Thursday night to get my gear together and realized I was out of 40lb. so I loaded 30lb. on a reel that I usually fish 40lb. on. It is a lever drag reel with the drags set at around 12-13lbs and I never adjusted down a couple of pounds for the 30lb. Also, I went with a ~10-15 foot topshot to straight spectra. The rod I was using was also the wrong rod. I was using one of my heavy yo-yo rods I use with 50lb for yellows and jig fishing wahoo. With the violent head shakes, bursty runs, tight drags and extra stiff rod I think the shock on the line caused it to break. I basically screwed myself. I will just chalk it up as a lesson learned and not make these mistakes again and hope I get another shot at one of those trophy yellows.

Tom
tthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthor View Post
I was using 30lb. Big Game. I think it was more operator error than the line. I did a couple of things that in looking back I will not do again. I waited until Thursday night to get my gear together and realized I was out of 40lb. so I loaded 30lb. on a reel that I usually fish 40lb. on. It is a lever drag reel with the drags set at around 12-13lbs and I never adjusted down a couple of pounds for the 30lb. Also, I went with a ~10-15 foot topshot to straight spectra. The rod I was using was also the wrong rod. I was using one of my heavy yo-yo rods I use with 50lb for yellows and jig fishing wahoo. With the violent head shakes, bursty runs, tight drags and extra stiff rod I think the shock on the line caused it to break. I basically screwed myself. I will just chalk it up as a lesson learned and not make these mistakes again and hope I get another shot at one of those trophy yellows.

Tom
DONT KICK YOURSELF OVER IT SOMETIMES SHIZZ HAPPENS & IM SURE IF U USED ALL THE RIGHT THINGS THAT YOU SUGGESTED & LOST THE FISH U STILL WOULD BE THINKING OF SOME OTHERE VARIABLES U COULDA CHANGED ....TRUST ME I DO IT ALL THE TIME
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote