Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
GeauxFish

LBC FISHING AREAS?

Put my first kayak in the water for the 1st time on Saturday out of Redondo and pretty much fished blind because I'm not rigged with a FF yet. So any tips on general areas that hold good kelp beds or structure that hold keeper fish would be great! Long Beach or sorounding areas? Not asking for secret fishing spots just want to bring home some fish to eat, so I don't get crap from ol' lady for going and not catching. Also, if anybody wants to meet 6:00 Sat. Morning or Mon. Morning just let me know. Looking to meet more fishing buddies and this seems like a cool site for that.....definately looking forward to seeing you guys that are slaying the YTs in La Jolla. Just gotta get some more yak experience, CA fishing knowledge and rig set up first.

Last edited by GeauxFish; 09-01-2015 at 03:15 PM.
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
al3ktro
Junior

Also just got my first kayak and went out for the first time last Wednesday. I went out in Long Beach by the 72nd Street Jetty. It's the last street off Ocean Blvd. Really easy to find on google maps. I Caught 3 Halibut, 2 undersized little guys and one keeper that was about 24". Let him go as well.

Just packed up and hitting the water again today! And actually might head out on Saturday too, always looking for company let me know if your out there!
al3ktro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Btmfeder
Junior

I live in Long Beach and certainly don't have all the hotspots but I like to go to Cabrillo Beach and launch on the ocean-side to fish the kelp around the point for bass and the occasional halibut. If there's much W or NW swell, it's not fun launching there and you can launch on the bay-side. Bring your wheels.

I also launch at Cherry Beach in LB. Bring quarters ($1/hour) for the meters. I fish the oil islands and jetties for bass. I'll make my way out to the breakwall if it's not going to get to breezy.

I've spent too much time in Alamitos Bay. I used to catch a lot of nice spots and sandbass there but it's been pretty slow for me the last several times. Launch by the gondolas. Free parking usually and nice wash-down area.

I need to expand my horizons, too, but by the weekend, I don't feel like driving that far. Would love to hear from others in the N. O.C., S. L.A. area, though.
Btmfeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
fishnfoool

I also live in Long Beach. I have recently been fishing la jolla a lot for the yellowtail. I have also fished Redondo and caught some yellowtail there also.
I normally fish the weekdays. If you guys want to go together, let me know when you are available and we can try to set things up.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
GeauxFish

Thanks for the replies. Will you posted on Saturday. Was kinda thinking of checking out Cabrillo or near that area. My kayak isn't rigged with a fish finder yet so I kinda feel I have to stick to structure I can see (kelp beds or rocks). I hate blind fishing without a FF. Too much ocean to just guess where the fish are.However, if any of you have the set up to find yellowtail, then I'm definitely cool with that. Just let me know.
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote