Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
dadd827
Junior

Kayak Drift Socks

Anyone carry a drift sock on your kayak for windy days? If so what size drift sock are you using and what kayak are you on. I was thinking this could be a helpful tool while drifting for Halibut FYI... I'm riding a Hobie Outback
dadd827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I have one...it doesn't work...
or im not using it right.... it also got stuck on my ruder and i tore it out.... never used it again.. lol

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i have this 3gal detergent bucket that i use to store fish. i threw it over the side with 5ft of rope and tied it to my yak. it slowed down the drift pretty good.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadd827 View Post
Anyone carry a drift sock on your kayak for windy days? If so what size drift sock are you using and what kayak are you on. I was thinking this could be a helpful tool while drifting for Halibut FYI... I'm riding a Hobie Outback
I have found that they don't work too well other than if you are like a lake or something where there is little to no water movement. I find that drift sock would get picked up my the tide movement and pull me faster. I haven't tried one with my new kayak though.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
dadd827
Junior

Thanks for the input. I think I might hold off on spending the cash on a drift sock. I think one of those folding Palomar nets might have to be my next purchase.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
MrPatrick

A drift sock is excellent for when the wind and the tide are going opposite ways. The happens in SDBay all the time in the afternoon.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

The sock won't slow you if wind and current are going the same direction.

By the way, if you DO get one, attach another line to the pointy end. Using that line to retreive it will collapse the chute and make bringing it in a LOT easier as it will empty it out.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadd827 View Post
ANDY gave me a package deal with my Outback and all the extras I had him add on! It's the standard HOBIE model with a 22" opening. And I did add a paracord rope to the center cone to bring it in with.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
dadd827
Junior

Thanks for the heads up. When I do pick up a drift sock I am going to put an extra line on it for easy retrieval.