Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
dadd827
Junior

Bait Tubes to save weight...

I have two Cobra Explorer kayaks. One I have been gearing up for my main ride(for now at least) and the other I use as a buddy kayak. I originally made my own live bait tank. 5-gallon bucket, 350gph pump, 6V battery etc... I decided I wanted to try to lighten my load a little sooooo I made a couple bait tubes(one for each yak). I am going to try this out instead of taking the live bait tank. This should take out a considerable amount of weight that I will be paddling around.

I'm not sure if it will be Sat or Sun yet but I will be venturing out to LJ for my third time.

I made these out of 4" pvc. They are 22" OAL.

Any thoughts or suggestions on using bait tubes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bait Tubes.jpg (62.0 KB, 253 views)
dadd827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
YakMedic

Interesting idea on the hinged door. I use a bait tube when I don't want to deal with a bait tank. Best advice I can give you is if your bait is too large to turn around in the tube you have to place them all in the same direction. Then when you paddle tow it where the water flows face first to the fish. Otherwise you will kill your bait by dragging it.backwards
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
catchnfish

looks clean but honestly I prefer the extra weight of the tank to the drag of a bait tube but now you wont have to keep giving your buddy bait
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Hey Dadd,
Nice work on the baitubes! I'd put more holes in it, as much as the structural integrity will stand. You can never have enough vent holes with bait tubes if your using fin bait. With squid, these will work fine as it stands. I like the easy access hatches you may even fit a few legal lobsters in there.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
bluesquids

I've done a few models with improvements since my first one. Open up and round holes on end with dremmel. Remove/round all flat surfaces for bullet shape. Nothing sticking out on inside of tube that will bang against bait.
Drag rope is now THIN #600 test Dynema attached to main body with three point harness, kind of like a drift anchor harness. Holes on underside not too big for toothy critters to see through. Black 5200 caps in place, with couple flat zip-ties for insurance(I'm rough on gear)....I forget I'm even dragging the thing.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

How do you guys deal with the drag? I tried pulling a flow-troll around(Cobra FnD) and it was too much extra work trying to keep tracking straight, I almost burnt myself out trying to fight it. Do you need one on each side to even it out or something??

Thanks!

If these tubes are better I'll probably build one instead of rigging up a bait tank.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
dadd827
Junior

Thanks for the extra input. I'm excited to try it out. I think I will fine tine them some more by adding a few holes in key spots and rounding more edges so it's more streamline in the water. I still need to figure out if I am going to rig a harness or just tie off at one end and clip to the yak. I can just pull it to me when I need it. My only concern is if it will get in the way when fighting a larger fish like maybe a or.
dadd827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
How do you guys deal with the drag? I tried pulling a flow-troll around(Cobra FnD) and it was too much extra work trying to keep tracking straight, I almost burnt myself out trying to fight it. Do you need one on each side to even it out or something??

Thanks!

If these tubes are better I'll probably build one instead of rigging up a bait tank.

I think you may have had more drag from the FnD...

With the hydrodynamic mods made above you might hardly notice a bait tube...

I have used both and found that the bait tube works well if you mount it in the right position to decrease drag (for me that was slightly behind the widest berth of the yak).

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
I think you may have had more drag from the FnD...

With the hydrodynamic mods made above you might hardly notice a bait tube...

I have used both and found that the bait tube works well if you mount it in the right position to decrease drag (for me that was slightly behind the widest berth of the yak).

Thanks, I'll give it a shot...

I used to paddle a Cobra Tourer, huge difference between the FnD and that Tourer, but I couldn't get over the super wet ride.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
PaddleHP
Scampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
I've done a few models with improvements since my first one. Open up and round holes on end with dremmel. Remove/round all flat surfaces for bullet shape. Nothing sticking out on inside of tube that will bang against bait.
Drag rope is now THIN #600 test Dynema attached to main body with three point harness kind of like a drift anchor harness. Holes on underside not too big for toothy critters to see through. Black 5200 caps in place, with couple flat zip-ties for insurance(I'm rough on gear)....I forget I'm even dragging the thing.
Blue squids, what's the vecro around the tube for? And can you post a picture of the top rigging of the tube to the yak? I want to know how you know how you keep the tube from banging against the side of the yak, an always irritating sound as you paddle.
PaddleHP is offline   Reply With Quote