Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Southman

Thanks to all for their posts

Somewhat of a newbie here. I have a Revo 11 and will soon get a Hobie bait tank for it. I've been out of Dana Point a few times and managed to catch a few rockfish and quite a few mackerel. No halibut or calicos yet. I'm kind of learning the spots which is a little difficult w/o a fishfinder.

So thanks to all those who post their reports. I am leaning a lot about what you do to catch some of your fish. Many of you don't want to give up your "secret spots" which is certainly understandable. But giving the general area you fish, what you use, the time of day, tides, etc. really help someone like me who is just getting into the fun of hanging out fishing in the ocean.

My frozen anchovies haven't exactly kept my hand busy reeling in tons of fish. I launched at Newport last week and headed south to Corona Del Mar and worked the kelp beds about 75 yards off the shore. I saw a bunch of baitfish and tried using the sabiki thing to get some bait. But they just swam by pretty uninterested. I jigged plastics up and down for some bass, but nada. Anyone else have any luck around Newport lately?

I'm assuming this is probably the slowest time of the year to fish. The warmer water I've heard make the fish more active and bring in some of the other species.

Thanks again to all who post!!!

Southman
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Ggiannig89

X2 THANKS everybody. I'm new also and appreciate the posts
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
DanaPT

"But giving the general area you fish, what you use, the time of day, tides, etc. really help someone like me who is just getting into the fun of hanging out fishing in the ocean."

I don't pay attention to tides, time of day, day of week, or moon. I fish when I can (usually on Weds). Just fish, you never know what you'll catch in the ocean, you just need a line in the water.

I've not had such good luck with with frozen anchovie or sardine. I do like fresh dead market squid. For calico, I also like the dark colors. Skirted war baits with 4 & 5 inch hammers.

Try tipping your sibiki with cut squid to catch the live bait. I've taken ground up sardines to help "juice" the waters around me to attract life. I heard a can of cat food (with a few holes on the top/bottom) will do the trick too.

All the places posted on this site hold fish (not in equal size or quantity), it just takes time on the water and a little luck. Your research on this site will open many doors and eliminate "trial and error". As for spots, I'm betting you'll find your favorites. It's really about exploration and finding places where you've had luck and where naturally you'll like to fish.

Good luck
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Cbad Mike

I never fished DP but lose the sardines/anchovies and go with frozen squid. Use it on a hook and small pieces on your sabiki. There's always something down there that likes squid. Bait fish WILL bite the sabiki usually when it's moving up or down. Just because you see them at let's say 10 feet doesn't mean they will bite at 10 feet. They may chase your sabiki to 20 feet and then bite. Time otw is the best way to learn. I've learned a ton from this site too and have no idea were I'd be without it.
Good luck!
Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
jorluivil

[QUOTE=DanaPT;141542
I don't pay attention to tides, time of day, day of week, or moon. I fish when I can (usually on Weds). Just fish, you never know what you'll catch in the ocean, you just need a line in the water.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. my work schedule allows me to fish Sundays and Mondays only so that's when I go out.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
StinkyMatt

I only fish on a incoming tide with a positive coefficient of 5.569 or greater and when we are in the first 68% of the lunar cycle. In addition I try to time my trips for when the water temp is between 68 and 72 degrees.

All the things that you mentioned do play a role and may help define the exact hours or the day plan...

...most of us working slugs fish when we can.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote