Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 AM   #21
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Yeah you hate to say it but the guy's probably gone. He went into 57 degree water two miles offshore, evidently while suffering some kind of heart attack. If he was alive they should of already found him. They found the kayak upside down right where the Cell GPS positioned it, and it was fair weather, a relatively calm day. The CG has called off the search, as there is pretty much no chance he's going to be found alive.

If the current was moving east to west he could be 20 miles offshore by now, and with the amount of sharks that frequent that area just offshore: blues, mako's and whites, it wouldn't surprise me if they never found him at all.

There are worse ways to go then paddling offshore on a beautiful day off point Dume. If I had to choose a way to go I'd say it sure beats the hell out of cancer, or Alzheimer's.

I was talking to a buddy about this today. My take I'm not afraid of dying out there as long as it's fast, but the idea of floating around for several days in frigid water fending off curious blue sharks does make me pretty uncomfortable.

Jim
I'm with you on this one.....I'd rather die while doing something that I love than to die at the hands of some crackhead, hoodlum or drunk driver. Only two ways I want to die: in my sleep or while doing what I love most......fishing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #22
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Y

I was talking to a buddy about this today. My take I'm not afraid of dying out there as long as it's fast, but the idea of floating around for several days in frigid water fending off curious blue sharks does make me pretty uncomfortable.

Jim
The USS Indianapolis story scares the hell of out of me

In the early morning hours of July 30, 1945, the USS Indianapolis, just 4 days after it delivered the first combat-ready atomic bomb to the US air base at Tinian Island in the Pacific, was fatally struck by torpedoes from Japanese subs. Within minutes, some 900 of the 1,196 men on board were in the shark infested waters, equipped only with life jackets. Few life rafts were deployed.

The shark attacks began with the rising sun that morning and continued until the remaining men were rescued just over 4 days later. Of the initial 900 or so men that went into the water, only 317 survived, making it the worst maritime disaster in U.S. Navy history.