Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
LEONARDUS RUTTEN
Junior

17 pond salmon in carpinteria

6,30 am the salmon hit the rapala 1 mile from the beach
LEONARDUS RUTTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
TJones

no take ?

no pic either?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
jaws197

Any pics????

I would kill for that opportunity!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
LEONARDUS RUTTEN
Junior

photo

her some photo
Attached Images

LEONARDUS RUTTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
crazyfishnfool
zuni818

yeah nice fish

were you just trolling around looking for any takers or were you on a salmon hunt? how deep? open water, around kelp? Great catch either way.
crazyfishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
JeffB

Nice salmon!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
very cool - great job!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

My favorite fish to eat.

Congrats sir, now go get the rest of his family!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Ggiannig89

Good start to the forum. Best 1st post I've seen.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
LakersFan

I thought it was a prank 'til I saw the photos. Nice job! Too bad there are not more of those around.
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
TJones

SNAP

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Deamon

Look newbie...learn the code talk: there's an early morning sale on Salmon at the Carpeteria located one mile from the beach.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
rhyak

Nice fish,

On the rap did you have the hooks changed out and barbless.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Rabac3898
Junior

CA Salmon regs require a single shank single point barbless hook. I guess you forget to tell us this.
Rabac3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Nice fish,

On the rap did you have the hooks changed out and barbless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabac3898 View Post
CA Salmon regs require a single shank single point barbless hook. I guess you forget to tell us this.
I guess you forgot that Carpinteria is south of Point Conception.

Last I heard barb-less and single hooks were not an issue for us in So. Cal. and last time I fished Carpenteria for Salmon the hot troll bait was a blue silver Krockadile with a treble down 60ft on a downrigger under bait in 120ft of water.

From The DFG:

• North of Pt. Conception: No more than two (2) single-point, single-shank barbless hooks shall be used, and no more than one rod per angler when fishing for salmon or fishing from a boat or floating device with salmon on board.
  • Horse Mt. to Pt. Conception: If fishing with bait and angling by any other means than TROLLING1, no more than two (2) single-point, single-shank barbless CIRCLE HOOKS 2 shall be used. The distance between the two hooks must not exceed five (5) inches when measured from the top of the eye of the top hook to the inner base of the curve of the lower hook and both hooks must be permanently tied in place (hard tied).

The catch looks legal to me. For guys that want to try and catch some one thing to note is the season.

Pigeon Point to U.S.-Mexico Border (Monterey Bay south)

April 6 - October 6, 2013
  • Seven days per week except June 1 – July 9 when closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
  • 2 salmon per day of any species except coho
  • Minimum size limit: 24 inches total length

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARDUS RUTTEN View Post
here some photo
Great catch!!! My favorite fish to catch to eat in So. Cal.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Rabac3898
Junior

The reason for barbless hook is to safely release coho and undersized chinooks. So how do you do this with treble hooks? The Ocean salmon regs clearly requires barbless hooks in all areas. There is no mention that trebles or any barbed hooks are allowed. It does not make sense that one area is exempted from using barbless hooks.

I will personal inquire with DFG about this catch. BTW any angler fishing for salmon is required to carry a net for safe release of undersize fish. DFG really enforces this if salmon are around.

See 28.65 (d).

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...05&inline=true

2013-2014 California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations

Gear Restrictions

(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum
size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to
assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily
in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters
without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing under
size fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less
than eighteen inches in diameter

Last edited by Rabac3898; 05-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Rabac3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
The Ocean salmon regs clearly requires barbless hooks in all areas. There is no mention that trebles or any barbed hooks are allowed.
Is there place it mentions that trebles are specifically legal for Yellowtail or Halibut?

I know you think I'm giving you a hard time but you started off giving someone a hard time about a legal catch, and honestly I'm just correcting your error. I think you are wrong, I said so, I offered proof, I still think so, and I'm pretty convinced that your not used to fishing Salmon down here in So. Cal.

Unless the Reg has changed we still are not required to fish barbless hooks down here.

The gear restrictions in the regs are really straight forward. I.E. they say what you have to use to the exclusion of other normal gear and tell you where you have to use it.

Barbless hooks are by the regs required North of Point Conception.

I already showed you the regulation:

"North of Pt. Conception: No more than two (2) single-point, single-shank barbless hooks shall be used"

That does not say: "No more than two (2) single-point, single-shank barbless hooks shall be used for Salmon at all times while ocean fishing in California "

It clearly states North of Pt. Conception. Why does it say that? Because... Duh!!! That's where you have to use single barbless hooks. I think the commercials have to use them everywhere, but we are not covered by the commercial regs, we are Recreational Kayak anglers.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want but the regs are online. Just show me where they say barbless single hooks are required South of Point Conception, and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

I already showed you the language that backs me up, now you have to show me something that proves me wrong. Otherwise people are going to think your speaking from ignorance when it comes to the regs, and also giving this guy a hard time for no reason on his legal and very incredibly cool catch of that quality Salmon.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
BTW any angler fishing for salmon is required to carry a net for safe release of undersize fish. DFG really enforces this if salmon are around.
I don't see anything about barbless hooks south of point conception, but at least your reading the regs

Actually we are already required to carry a net for safe release of undersize Halibut in So. Cal..

Once again read those regs then come back and show me where it says that we have to use barbless when fishing for salmon below point conception. I bet you can't do it.

We are far from the spawning grounds and seldom get undersized Salmon down here in So Cal, so it's never been a issue here, and that's why we were not required to switch to barbless.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.