Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Tuff guy

Penn spinfisher V spinning reel size?

I am looking to buy a new spinning reel to match my diawa saltwater spinning rod. I don't have the rod in front of me but I think it was a 12-25 line capacity. I have done my homework and it seems that the consensus is that the penn spinfisher v is the best value. That being said, what model should I go with? I was thinking the 6500 with 40 or 50lb braid? I will be using it primarily in la jolla for rockfish and (when I get lucky) larger fish like yellowtail. Is the 6500 model the correct reel for this application? Any others I should be considering? I broke the handle off my last cheap ass reel at the rockfish derby, and don't want to repeat the experience using inferior gear. Thanks!
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
LawDog

It all depends on your budget. Personaly for bottom fishing and yellowtail i would recommend a conventional reel with a clicker, and use that rod with a spinning reel for cast and retrieve fishing. There is definately a place in every fishermans arsenal for a spinning reel though. For around the $100 mark the Penn battle is hard to beat. but if you want to go cheaper always make sure it has a rubber seal under the drag adjuster. Dont get a freshwater spinner or you will regret it after 2-3 trips when you find out you need to dissassemble it every time it gets wet to clean it.

I have seen guys use spinner rod/reel jig sticks pretty successfully though.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Chuck D

I use a 5500 with 65 lb braid for casting surface Irons at the yellows, works like a charm.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Tuff guy

Any particular reason to go with the 5500 over the 6500? Want to make sure I only have to buy it once. I will get another conventional setup eventually but for now I'll have this spinning setup and an ugly stick tiger with a pfluger reel that should do well until I can afford something fancier
Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Chuck D

The 5500 is smaller and lighter, those saltwater spinning reels can get too big to mess with. It has the power to handle anything out here as well.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Tuff guy

Ok thanks, I think that's what I'll go with, looks like 65lb braid is popular.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Crazy Cajun
Junior

I have both the 6500 and 5500. The 6500 is big and clumsy to fish with in a kayak IMO. I use it to surf fish in Baja and main land Mexico. The 5500 has served me well on YT, DoDos, and tuna. I also use it as a lonner rod for friends when they go out with me. Bring your rod to the tackle shop you are going to buy your reel. Make sure the reel fits on the rod and is balanced. My thought is they are the best spinning reel for the money.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote