Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Tuff guy

Mission bay shore fishing help

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, I want to go shore fishing in mission bay this weekend, and am looking for some advice on what lures to get and which of my gear I should use. I have never been shore fishing in CA salt water before, so I have a bit of a learning curve. I was thinking of buying some lead heads and big hammer swim baits to go with them, but don't know what size/ colors are appropriate. I have some artificial worms that I can take if those will work. Basically I don't know anything about the bass in mission bayor how to catch them from shore.

Any ideas on a good location? I am looking to make this a nice easy trip, just to get some line wet and catch and release some bass.

Also, as far as gear, I have a penn spinfisher v on a 7 1/2 foot medium heavy rod and an ugly stick ticker 15-30 with a pfluger reel. Both reels spooled with 65lb braid (I usually fish la jolla for rockfish) but I have some 20 and 30lb mono as well. I do have a couple of freshwater trout rods with 6lb mono as well, would those be a better choice?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I appreciate all the help!
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
Amish Ed

I'd go with the 6lb for sure over the 20lb or 30lb. Those would be good for spinner baits though. Depending on the worms you have (4-6"), they could work great. Also, creature baits can be amazing too. Texas or Carolina rigs are perfect in the eel grass. Also, pick up some 3/8oz Warbait Slayer heads and 3-4" swimbaits.

If I was going Big Hammer I'd buy Sexy Smelt, Red Calico Hunter, and Rainbow Trout. Look those colors up on their website Then go to some place like Dana Landing and buy whatever baits are similar or that just look good to you. Personally, I prefer and mostly use Edge Flurries for Swimbaits. I like Greenback, Minnow Magic, and a bunch of others.

Also, I've been fishing Zman Paddlerz. But, I have no idea where to buy them except online. I use Tackle Warehouse. I use them on the 3/8oz Slayer head.

As far as walking the shore; Just find a stretch of beach that's long so you have lots of area to work and go from there. Maybe Fiesta Island as it has lots of shoreline and is easily accessible.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of where to start.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
Tuff guy

Awesome, thanks! that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I hit the harbor island last weekend from shore.. Landed 3 good size spotties. I was fishing a dropshot 4" white ice zoom fluke. Cast as far out as I could and slowly jig back. Funny thing is each one of my fish came on the initial drop on the cast. Try to get out on either an incoming or outgoing tide. My buddy got a short halibut on the same setup but using a 5" fluke. I was fishing 20lb braid with a 15lb floro topshot. I would definitely choose the 6 over the 20/30.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

If you have experience fishing for ANY type of bass the techniques and baits would work through the spectrum. Do you have any largemouth experience? If so, you would be surprised how similar the appetite is between spotties and largemouth.

Last edited by YakDout; 01-15-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
MissileTM

Check out SDFish.com bays and lagoons forum. Tons of info on there for shore fishing. DJThrillz is the go to guy there for shore fishing in mb. Good luck!
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Tuff guy

No, my bass experience is low, just wanted an easy lazy day fishing. I Have a few setups that I think will work. Thanks for the heads up guys
Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
alfsteur

Go with 6lb line if that's all you have, but with all the eel grass I'd recommend 10-20lb braid on a light tackle set up. MB has many spots with fish, I've caught them off Bahia point, Glorietta bay, or off the main channel by Dana point boat launch... btw, if you have shrimp pump then try to get some ghost shrimps first, those are irresistible to just about everything swimming in MB. btw, another alternative is to hit Mission Beach.... use sandcrab/bloodworm for bait, you'll catch endless perches and occasional croakers.... check out SCSurffishing.com, lots of good info on getting into surf fishing! Good luck!

alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote