Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Tuff guy

New here

Hi all, great site!

I am looking into kayak fishing as it seems like a good way to get out on the water and catch a variety of different fish. I am in San Diego and want to get an entry level kayak to maybe catch some rockfish or maybe some spotted bay bass.

I was looking into getting a used tandem off of craigslist because I'd also like to be able to use the kayak to take my girlfriend out around la jolla to see the sea life.

I've found a few of these

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tan...ks/malibu_two/

For good deals but is it a good platform to be able to fish off of? I would be going fishing solo, would the weight distribution be an issue? Again I'm a novice fisherman and I can't afford a huge budget for a kayak. Any advice on that particular model? I'd like to eventually get comfortable enough to go for some bigger fish, would this kayak limit me in that respect?
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
BOLTFISH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
Hi all, great site!

I am looking into kayak fishing as it seems like a good way to get out on the water and catch a variety of different fish. I am in San Diego and want to get an entry level kayak to maybe catch some rockfish or maybe some spotted bay bass.

I was looking into getting a used tandem off of craigslist because I'd also like to be able to use the kayak to take my girlfriend out around la jolla to see the sea life.

I've found a few of these

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tan...ks/malibu_two/

For good deals but is it a good platform to be able to fish off of? I would be going fishing solo, would the weight distribution be an issue? Again I'm a novice fisherman and I can't afford a huge budget for a kayak. Any advice on that particular model? I'd like to eventually get comfortable enough to go for some bigger fish, would this kayak limit me in that respect?
I'm new here as well and have similar questions....I want a tandem kayak for the wife and I to cruise and enjoy each others company (her priority) , and fish (my priority)

Love the site btw!
BOLTFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

hell guys! welcome to the board!

a tandem would work great especially to take the lady out so she can have some fun too. paddling outside of the harbor can be a pain sometimes especially if you have to time your paddle rhythm together. if you go out solo on a tandem (very easily done) you just have to make sure to either sit in the middle area (if there is one)... or sit in the back and put some weight in the front (like your gear and stuff) so it will balance the kayak. goodluck out there and hopefully we'll be seeing some awesome reports from you guys!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
BOLTFISH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
hell guys! welcome to the board!

a tandem would work great especially to take the lady out so she can have some fun too. paddling outside of the harbor can be a pain sometimes especially if you have to time your paddle rhythm together. if you go out solo on a tandem (very easily done) you just have to make sure to either sit in the middle area (if there is one)... or sit in the back and put some weight in the front (like your gear and stuff) so it will balance the kayak. goodluck out there and hopefully we'll be seeing some awesome reports from you guys!
The Jackson big tuna fits my needs, however it looks fairly heavy. We have expierence kayaking and have rented for a few years now. We have done some tandem kayaking all over CA and HI...Fishing from a tamdem yak is another story I imagine! I'm full of questions on best yak options, launch spots, ability to convert a non fishing platform to a fishing platform, best racks for a suburban, etc etc etc.

I hear a lot about "demo" your choices first. Which San Diego outfitter allows demos and has a fishing platform?

Thanks mucho
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
easyday

Big tuna is heavy but it does make a nice fishing platform. My buddy has a big tuna and he easily fishes 2 people out of it
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Big Wave Dave

Don't know what you're looking to spend, but a friend of mine in a similar situation, (he calls his wife his trolling motor), bought a Jackson Big Tuna. It can be configured easily into a tandem or single seater by moving the seats to different areas. They are very happy with it, and I am very envious of it. It is REALLY NICE!
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
BOLTFISH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Big tuna is heavy but it does make a nice fishing platform. My buddy has a big tuna and he easily fishes 2 people out of it
Is it easy to cruise with the wifey for just a paddle? I guess what I'm asking is... is it worth the weight and effort it takes to put it in the water for a 2 hour LJ paddle.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
easyday

I haven't personally paddled it but he says he does it by himself it takes effort but its deffinately not impossible by any means
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Big Wave Dave

It is a heavy kayak but he and his wife lift it on and off of the car with no trouble.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
BOLTFISH
Junior

Thanks guys...

How about advice on SD kayak retailers that will actually let us demo a yak?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Kelp Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTFISH View Post
Thanks guys...

How about advice on SD kayak retailers that will actually let us demo a yak?
I recommend OEX in Mission Bay, they will let you demo any kayak you want pretty much and not to mention for as long as you want. I had like 4 kayaks in that little beach and demoed for a good 2 hours that day. Ultimately I decided in a Jackson Cuda 14. I say bring a fishing pole that way you can throw while testing them out to get a feel of how it is to fish on each one.
Kelp Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
2X OEX Mission Bay

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
BOLTFISH
Junior

Thanks Kelp and Mako... OEX MB it is.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
bigbarrels

I have a Wilderness 130T which is a tandem kayak that can be used as a single kayak with a seat in the center of the yak. Water tight, paddles well and a stable kayak......maybe you should check one out

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...t_recreational
Old 07-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
BOLTFISH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
I have a Wilderness 130T which is a tandem kayak that can be used as a single kayak with a seat in the center of the yak. Water tight, paddles well and a stable kayak......maybe you should check one out

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...t_recreational
Will do, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
FishNinjaY

do you have a car or truck? If your wife is going to be able to help, than either is fine. I have a Hobie Oasis tandem, which is a bit heavier at 14.5 feet long. My son can't help much (yet), so I pretty much do it solo, and manage fine. Haven't popped a hernia yet, as far as I know.

The other option to consider is TWO single kayaks. You could always lash hers to yours and tow her around, if she gets tired or just wants to be pulled along like a princess.

This way, if/when you go solo, you just bring 1 yak.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #17
BOLTFISH
Junior

I have a suburban...My wife is a pretty tough gal, so I'm encouraged by what I have heard in here. Thanks for all the news and advice gents!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Tuff guy

Any word on the Malibu two? Is that a decent starting platform?
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
Patrick.walker5326
Junior

I am a Jackson big tuna owner. Bottom line: great tandem boat with plenty of room, at least a dozen or more different seating configurations, a great single seat boat for a bigger guy or someone just looking for crazy stability (it's not that heavy).
Patrick.walker5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
BOLTFISH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.walker5326 View Post
I am a Jackson big tuna owner. Bottom line: great tandem boat with plenty of room, at least a dozen or more different seating configurations, a great single seat boat for a bigger guy or someone just looking for crazy stability (it's not that heavy).
Thanks Patrick... That's good to know! I'm not a big guy, but I dig the shiz outta stability.