Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Tuff guy

San Felipe

I am heading to San Felipe in May and will be taking my kayak. Any advice on what gear to bring while fishing down there? Likewise does anyone know of any charter services out of there? I know it's mainly corvina down in san felipe, but do I have a chance at a decent sizes grouper? Thanks in advance, I've never been to san felipe before
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
joezee1986

As a kid we caught a lot of trigger fish and calico bass … the pangas are cheap find someone beached and ask to take you out for a day.
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Spend the extra gas and time, drive another 100 miles to Gonzaga and have the chance to catch more and bigger fish. From San Diego you are talking 6 hours + border crossing time. The fishing is so much BETTER.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Tuff guy

That's what I would rather do, but we are renting a house in san felipe and don't want to stray too far from there. This is my girlfriends first time in Mexico and she's scared because of all the news. I think san felipe may be my only option, if it was just me and my friends we would go wherever.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
I am heading to San Felipe in May and will be taking my kayak. Any advice on what gear to bring while fishing down there? Likewise does anyone know of any charter services out of there? I know it's mainly corvina down in san felipe, but do I have a chance at a decent sizes grouper? Thanks in advance, I've never been to san felipe before
I love fishing in San Felipe. You will get into much bigger fish if you take a charter to Bird Poop Island do there. I hooked a grouper that pulled me into the rock and never could get him out. However I did land two 30# White Seabass down there as well. If you are taking your Kayak make sure you bring a cart because when the tide goes out, it goes out a long way. Bring silver jigs, and if you can also take squid and/or cut bait lik chovies. I've always had good luck with that.

I use to hook up with a guide down there name Jose Luis, he usually is wearing a Dodgers hat, but if you ask around for him you'll find him. There's a lot of guides down there but he's always put me on fish.

Make sure you eat at the Taco Factory and Rice and Beans when you are down there, the Nacho Factory is a plate at the Taco Factory is one I recommend while eating there, and at Rice and Beans, you will get a lot of food for your money. Both places over look the water, and they have great food.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 02-06-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
That's what I would rather do, but we are renting a house in san felipe and don't want to stray too far from there. This is my girlfriends first time in Mexico and she's scared because of all the news. I think san felipe may be my only option, if it was just me and my friends we would go wherever.
Where are you staying in San Felipe? I know that town very well, we have been vacationing down there for the last 10 years.

http://www.eldoradoranch.com/san_fel...Directions.htm

There are two maps for driving down to San Felipe, I personally like coming back home through the more eastern entry into America, and going down through the closer one. If you follow these maps you'll be fine.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 02-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I havn't fished there before yet but we stop there every year for the Baja 1000 and have a blast. If you guys stop at Bar Miramar order you and your chick a "Chabella", We stop and get them every time. Its like a Michilada but better, you won't be disappointed!

Also I just recently came back from San Felipe and I had the best Chinese food I have ever had in my life (And it was inexpensive). I would def recommend that too. Im gonna be passing thru there this weekend with MakoBob on our way to GB and stop there for lunch Ill get the name of the place. If I remember it was right when you got in to SF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChinaBuffet.jpg (32.3 KB, 94 views)

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 02-06-2014 at 08:05 AM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Raskal311

Guys I would love to take my wife down there in maybe a year, we rarely go on vacation. Do you think such a trip is kids friendly? I have a 3 year old that has never left the orange county.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Tuff guy

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys, the house we were looking out is at rancho el dorado. I think my buddies may be backing out, so I might have to come up with a plan b. I hope I can still convince them to go