Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
twinfin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfv-Qn1M58I
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
Poxy Boggards

I don't get as much time on the water as I would like. I wish I had days upon end, money for fuel, and time away from work to go find my own rewarding YT or WSB.

I live over 100 miles from La Jolla, and that means just getting down to the launch in my truck is going to cost me a good chunk of change. A few years ago, that would be no problem but mine as well as many others belts have had to be tightened out of necessity.

What that means for me, is no trips exploring and looking for a bite. If I am going to head down there, I want to know that the fish are chewing and that if I do things right I have a good chance at doing battle with one of my target species.

I envy those of you who are close to a productive launch, and have the time to go out and find the fish. Unfortunately I just don't have that luxury.

I would love to go hit one of the productive areas closer to me, but finding anyone to even throw you a bone and point you in the right direction of a good launch seems nearly impossible with the current lips wide shut attitude of the board these days.
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #43
bigbarrels

I think saw the same old guy on the beach and he needed a vessel assist in a race with the rising tide
Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

earlier this month, i just passed my 10 yr anniversary, of kayak fishing.

in the early & mid 2000's when the numerous kayak fishing msg boards started appearing and growing, the main theme of those board's various thread "topics" & "fish reports", ALMOST ALWAYS seemed to be for the exchange of knowledge & info to help others learn how to be more successful in this sport.

i have learned ENORMOUS amounts from these 'yak fish websites over past decade. and ALSO have given MUCH input myself, trying to help others in return.

unfortunately, many of those prior msg boards have now gone to the internet graveyard. and SADLY, for the few that are still online, the attitude of sharing info and/or helping other fishermen is mostly gone these days.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #45
CKallday71

I've found in general that most of the people on this board are exceptionally friendly, personable and helpful. And I understand that keeping some info close to the chest on a hot bite is a good idea to keep the area from being bombarded with every swinging D!(# and a kayak/boat from picking the area clean like a squid netter.

As for me, I'll get my tuchas out on the water on Tuesday and see what I can scrape up.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
earlier this month, i just passed my 10 yr anniversary, of kayak fishing.

in the early & mid 2000's when the numerous kayak fishing msg boards started appearing and growing, the main theme of those board's various thread "topics" & "fish reports", ALMOST ALWAYS seemed to be for the exchange of knowledge & info to help others learn how to be more successful in this sport.

i have learned ENORMOUS amounts from these 'yak fish websites over past decade. and ALSO have given MUCH input myself, trying to help others in return.

unfortunately, many of those prior msg boards have now gone to the internet graveyard. and SADLY, for the few that are still online, the attitude of sharing info and/or helping other fishermen is mostly gone these days.
I used to be heavy in to aquarium/reefing and that community has changed too. It used to be a close nit community where people share what they had extra and involved their family. Some of my closest friends today were people I met during those days. There are still a lot of good people but the hobby as a whole isn't what it used to be. When people meet now its all about $$$
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #47
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i think people are too busy loading up on shovelnose guitarfish to post

btw, the spread of info ceased due to boaters lurking on these forums. its sad for both. sad that we can't share info with fellow yakers on public forums and sad that the boat guys have to learn from the kayak gurus.

also, several of the best seasoned kayak fishermen are either guides or have gone commercial and don't want to take away from their profits.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post

I've found in general that most of the people on this board are exceptionally friendly, personable and helpful....
friendly & personable.... most still are.

helpful.... that's where things have seemed to have changed A LOT to me over past decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post

......And I understand that keeping some info close to the chest on a hot bite is a good idea to keep the area from being bombarded with every swinging D!(# and a kayak/boat from picking the area clean like a squid netter.
i understand people not wanting to give "locations". that has occurred since the beginning of time for ANY "fishing spots".

but giving basic info about gear, techniques, rigs, baits, etc is where things have seemed to really dry up in recent years. SOME certainly still do share. but MANY seem like they are just determined to keep all their knowledge on these matters to themselves these days.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
skiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i think people are too busy loading up on shovelnose guitarfish to post

btw, the spread of info ceased due to boaters lurking on these forums. its sad for both. sad that we can't share info with fellow yakers on public forums and sad that the boat guys have to learn from the kayak gurus.

also, several of the best seasoned kayak fishermen are either guides or have gone commercial and don't want to take away from their profits.
That's it, skiff guys never caught shit before kayaks hit the scene. What came first, the chicken or the egg. Who learned from who?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #50
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffman View Post
That's it, skiff guys never caught shit before kayaks hit the scene. What came first, the chicken or the egg. Who learned from who?
1st fishing trip was to La Jolla in my grandpa's row boat in 1955. We all started out fishing these or other waters. Let's just thank the good Lord there are still quality fish to catch. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #51
Deamon

Quote:
And the lurker just couldn't lie low and just...LURK...it is what it is. Build a network or go at it blind, just fish. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #52
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

point proven.

if several YT were reported this week he and his buddies would be out in the skiffs at LJ. if not only he or one of his buddies would be out and the rest would be fishing SD bay, PL and other places.

this is a tight network and once you get to know a few people you'll get into a loop or two and be invited to fish and be subject to texts at 2am of 60lb white seabass and get off work to another 5 of triple yellowtail. until then i can only advise to hit the water as much as possible, talk to the yak guys around you and pay attention to the details in reports and pics.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #53
skiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
point proven.

if several YT were reported this week he and his buddies would be out in the skiffs at LJ. if not only he or one of his buddies would be out and the rest would be fishing SD bay, PL and other places.

this is a tight network and once you get to know a few people you'll get into a loop or two and be invited to fish and be subject to texts at 2am of 60lb white seabass and get off work to another 5 of triple yellowtail. until then i can only advise to hit the water as much as possible, talk to the yak guys around you and pay attention to the details in reports and pics.
What point would that be? I was fishing S.D. bay with a client who wanted to catch Spotted Bay Bass today. We caught a lot and had a blast. Life and fishing does not revolve around catching WSB or Yellowtail. It's like Lemmings going off a cliff when the squid bite is on and the masses descend on the spot like vultures on a fresh carcass. Do what you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaS4...yer_detailpage
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #54
Drake

Quote:
What point would that be? I was fishing S.D. bay with a client who wanted to catch Spotted Bay Bass today. We caught a lot and had a blast. Life and fishing does not revolve around catching WSB or Yellowtail. It's like Lemmings going off a cliff when the squid bite is on and the masses descend on the spot like vultures on a fresh carcass. Do what you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaS4...yer_detailpage
Nailed it right on the head.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #55
BrokeLoser

Oh no!
Here we go again...haha...use caution on how you decide to 'steer' this discussion if you care to keep it alive and productive.
Remember, your first amendment right does not apply!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=18533
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #56
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Oh no!
Here we go again...haha...use caution on how you decide to 'steer' this discussion if you care to keep it alive and productive.
Remember, your first amendment right does not apply!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=18533
Didn't you learn your lesson?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Didn't you learn your lesson?
Lesson?
What are you teaching?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #58
chefchatten

Squid Bite is going off!
chefchatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #59
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchatten View Post
Squid Bite is going off!
Wait really?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #60
dorado50

Once I get back from vacation I'm going to kayak fish LJ everyday and hopefully post a few same day bite reports. Full of facts and figures. There will be no secret bite if I'm around! Watch LJ I'm coming back.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote