Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

SD Open Bay Bass Tourney

I fished the Open Bay Bass tournament today as well as many other. The day started out great, forgive me for not having photos I couldn't find my waterproof camera this morning.

Woke up at 2:30 A.M. to load up and gather items for a Potluck breakfast. I made Chorizo and eggs and they were great. Launched at 6:15 and paddled toward mark 20. Took me about 15 minutes to get there with the tide moving with me. Once there I dropped 4 baits down, kind of tough from a Kayak but you gotta have baits in the water to catch fish. Within minutes I hooked up a 13" Spotty, minutes later same bait,12" Sandy, and again a 13" Spotty. I then picked up a Juvenile Black Sea Bass, first time ever catching one. Obviously I let it go, no photos taken. The bite died for me at that spot so I moved around. I ended up the day with a short Halibut, 2 Macs, and 1 lizard. That weather wasn't too bad, sure it was foggy and ugly all day but otherwise not too bad. Can't wait until next year. I love fishing this tournament.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
carbonbass

how juvenile was the BSB
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
how juvenile was the BSB
I don't know how big they have to get to not be juvenile, but I know as they get bigger the spots go away. Fun to catch.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Great chorizo and eggs Jimmy. I took a few photos to add. Thanks to everyone for showing up! Tough day for me fishing, only 3 spotties and none big enough to weigh. Big congrats to Tyler for biggest spottie and Ken for placing first in our division and 20th over all Thanks for representing us so well!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
landwhale

Thanks to those that brought breakfast and coffee great way to start the day. FOG DRIZZLE Light winds tide movement 6 Spotties biggest 13" 2 Sculpin one that towed me against the out going current and lots of them toothy little bastards. Seeing my SD friends hanging with the Uni Butter boys PRICLESS

Congratulations to Ken And Tyler

Jimmy the Prowler is looking good

Had a great day till the stomach went south and I headed north

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
JarrodMc

Good job guys. I wish i coulda made it down but I was unfortunately at a funeral all day.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
DESTROYER

Great report guys! Sorry I missed it but we had my son Maddox's 6th bday party. Way to tough it out in less than stellar conditions. I have SBS at San Diego Bay this weekend and SWBA in MB next weekend. Hope to see some of you bass sticks there. Tight Lines-Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
Thanks to those that brought breakfast and coffee great way to start the day. FOG DRIZZLE Light winds tide movement 6 Spotties biggest 13" 2 Sculpin one that towed me against the out going current and lots of them toothy little bastards. Seeing my SD friends hanging with the Uni Butter boys PRICLESS

Congratulations to Ken And Tyler

Jimmy the Prowler is looking good

Had a great day till the stomach went south and I headed north
Andy, glad you like the eggs and Chorizo, next year I'll keep it more simple, but it was good for energy.

Steve, I'm keeping the Prowler active and catching fish. I don't think I have been skunked yet since buying it from you.

It was a fun day, and wouldn't you know it I found my camera this morning.

Great food after the fishing. Looking forward to the OEX Mission Bay Tourney. Is it still happening this year?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
skiffman

Hey Andy, I know a bay guide that can get you dialed in for next year.
Nice photos. Kelvin
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Congradulations Ken & Tyler new job kelp me away
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
fishingfiend

I dropped off the coffee/donuts in the morning, but didn't have time to hang out and meet everyone. Looking forward to the next opportunity. We got there late and had to get back to the truck and ready to go. We actually launched about 15 minutes after the official start. It was cool to see/hear the official start and watch the boats throttle down, while a couple of kayakers actually started fishing! With the crappy weather forecasted I think we had a pretty good turnout. It was cool to see the row of kayakers in the morning, with each one rigged out.

Like others said, it was a tough day of fishing. The 14" limit made it even tougher. Around 11 my meter lit up in 50' of water and I was fortunate to get a 14" spottie out of it. I couldn't find the school again, so I was glad to have 1 to weigh in. Turns out, this 1 fish saved my day. I ended up 61st overall and tied for 5th in the kayak division.

Congrats to Ken for owning the kayak division, he's legit! Props to Tyler for taking the JP Spottie!

Here are a few pics I got from the event.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Thanks guys for the kind words. It was a fun tournament for me, one that I look forward to fish every year and it was fun fishing with everyone. Thank you Andy and OEX for sponsoring the kayak division. Thank you to all my sponsors, Hobie Kayaks, Dana Point Jet Ski, Abu Garcia, SpiderWire, Berkley, Uni Butter, Rapala, Lead Masters and everyone that helps me you guys . Can wait for next year.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski