Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
rclingan
Junior

Mounting transducer in unused scupper hole

All,

I am a new yaker and bought a fish finder today. I have 5 holes in the bottom of my kayak (2 used for bailing and three still closed off from top). I want to install my transducer flush in one of the holes(so it cant get knocked off and its still in the water). Does anyone have any experience with this and is this a good idea. Thank you for your help.
rclingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
tony

What kind of kayak? Unless youve got one of those Ocean kayaks with the scupper hole made for a transducer you'll probably want to mount it inside.
Some guys have a thru the scupper hole mount going on but you have to remember to remove it if you frequently ground your kayak when landing....
I think Jim Sammons used to do this.....
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
bloodykayak
Junior

Re: Mounting Transducer In Unused Scupper Hole

I have an ocean kayak, and mounted my transducer using the scupper hole. I have had no problems, and it works great. The only modification I made was to add a small piece of PVC plastic pipe in the scupper hole to make everything fit tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (61.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (30.8 KB, 176 views)
bloodykayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
rclingan
Junior

Hey thanks for the input. Nice job blood. I am going to do something similar with my perception caster but will need to drill one hole and modify the transducer to fit more snug. One question i have, how long does a 12v ATV battery last (10 amp) as opposed to a deep cycle 96 amp. obviosly weight is an issue and want to keep things as light as possible.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
dfroggy54
Rolly

a sealed 12volt 7amp from this site is all you need, get one of those trickle chargers too. those deep cycles are really heavy and you dont want battery acid leaking if you dump in the surf. what kind of FF do you have?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
roadx

Quote:
One question i have, how long does a 12v ATV battery last (10 amp) as opposed to a deep cycle 96 amp. obviosly weight is an issue and want to keep things as light as possible.
not sure what your FF pulls but mine pulls about 500MA/ .5 amps per hour. if your using the battery for the FF only, you will have plenty for a couple days fishing with the 10 amp at 12v.

as suggested i would get a sealed 7-10 amp 12v battery. save weight and can be mounted vertical or horizontal
Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
jorluivil

I decided to get rid of the wet mount and went with the scupper hole installion. The only thing I can recommend is to put some sort of spacer between the yak and the top of the transducer, this will allow water to run out of the scupper hole. The spacer between the ducer and yak needs to have some drain holes or it won't serve its purpose.....see my pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5 031.jpg (55.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5 032.jpg (53.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5 029.jpg (30.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5 035.jpg (53.5 KB, 153 views)
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
not sure what your FF pulls but mine pulls about 500MA/ .5 amps per hour. if your using the battery for the FF only, you will have plenty for a couple days fishing with the 10 amp at 12v.

as suggested i would get a sealed 7-10 amp 12v battery. save weight and can be mounted vertical or horizontal
Great input, thx.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I decided to get rid of the wet mount and went with the scupper hole installion. The only thing I can recommend is to put some sort of spacer between the yak and the top of the transducer, this will allow water to run out of the scupper hole. The spacer between the ducer and yak needs to have some drain holes or it won't serve its purpose.....see my pics.
Nicely done!
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
rclingan
Junior

Thanks everyone. putting at Cuda 245 on it. should be ok. maybe will get the smaller battery.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My 7ah battery crapped out so I got a new one. Just for fun, I decided to time how long the battery would power my H-Bird FF. I set the thing up so it would show me the voltage. It started out at at 13. something volts. After more than 24 hours the voltage was still showing at more than 12V. Based on my experience, that is still a nearly fully charged battery.

I turned the thing off but my guess is that with a healthy 7ah battery, you should be able to power most FF for as long as a couple of days without recharging.

This was far from a scientific experiment so your mileage may vary.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
newguy01

ducer

@rclingan i use to have a cuda 350 ff/gps and using 8 AA and last me 2 trips if you wana save weight
@ blodykayak how you like your 383 i just mine and havent got in the water i was hoping if you can shine some light on how to set it up and do you have to use a 12v 7 amp or can you use 8 AA thanks in the future.
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote